millertime24

Long range shooting

As of now we are doing long range shooting with .22lr and .17 at about 250 yds which is what they say is equivalent to 1000yds in a 30.cal. Once hunting is over we are gonna get the dozer out and clear us a long range lane. Drop for a .22 is about 120 inches:o, and we ding a 18X18 inch target all day once we figure out how the guns are shooting in that days atmospherics. We use the Ballistic AE app on the iphone for unknowns and have made drop charts for our target scopes. I find it fun, cheap and challenging from unknown positions, or cold bore on a non typical day.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

As of now we are doing long range shooting with .22lr and .17 at about 250 yds which is what they say is equivalent to 1000yds in a 30.cal. Once hunting is over we are gonna get the dozer out and clear us a long range lane. Drop for a .22 is about 120 inches:o, and we ding a 18X18 inch target all day once we figure out how the guns are shooting in that days atmospherics. We use the Ballistic AE app on the iphone for unknowns and have made drop charts for our target scopes. I find it fun, cheap and challenging from unknown positions, or cold bore on a non typical day.

I actually use strelok app for my ballistic compensation at range (it's quite good). I know 30 cal is an option, but would like to hear if anyone is using like 6.5 or similar and what the cost is
Muff #5048

At 1000 yards, I use the AR-50 sparingly. Hand loads using mil-surp brass and A-Max bullets, but still prohibitively expensive. Lately I have switched to using Armalite AR-10 Target with Black Hills match ammo. Mostly use that combo at 600 yds, but have also done 1000 yds with some success. Been meaning to load my own 308's, but haven't got around to it.

millertime24

I do a fair amount of long range shooting, but as of right now all I have that is decent is my AR 50. Is anyone else doing long range (1000 m plus)? If so what is your gun of choice?

I have taken my AR15 chambered in a 6.5 Grendel out to 800 yards with some success (I am not very good at it) I have an 18" Satern barrell and many from this site http://www.65grendel.com/ say my gun can shoot to 1200 yards
I would like to try it sometime

Edited to add
This is using factory Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123 Amax or SST ammo
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

millertime24

Nothing some load development and a nice optic couldn't change. My Nightforce NSX 8x32 allows you to make great shot placement at long range (at least with my 50). I'm sure you could work up some loads in 270 to fit the bill.

Yeah probably true, but I just don't really have the inclination. I can fill the freezer at less than 400m and have a good time out in the bush on factory loads in my .308, and thats all it's really about for me. I'm selling my 270 because I just can't really justify it. Although I might treat myself to a nice blaser with an S&B scope or something at some point when the kids move out!
I'm not really a fan of people hunting at long distances unless they are really REALLY good - have seen the results of some poorly placed shots and it's pretty ugly.
Never try to eat more than you can lift