oldwomanc6

Typhoon Obama Hits Dillingham Airfield!

I had the misfortune of landing about 2 minutes before AF1 in Portland one time. Because of this unfortunate timing the entire airport was brought to a screeching halt. My and many other commercial planes full of people trying their best to make it to important meetings, conduct business, or even just meet family were forced to sit on the tarmac in holding for over an hour while AF1 moved about and unloaded.
Leaving the airport I saw roads shut down with some of the worst traffic backups I have ever witnessed. I thought "oh well the president is here, I'm sure he's conducting some important national business". NOPE he was attending some high dollar $1500/plate campaign fund raiser.
I remember thinking something similar to this article. HOW RIDICULOUS! Just seeing this moving cluster fuck circus in action makes one really understand the amount of people, labor, and inconvenience any movement of the president brings about. Had I never seen it in action I never would have understood how the movement of one individual can really fuck up an entire city's day. Then think about the cost. The cost of AF1, the cost of the security detail, the cost of virtually shutting down an international airport, the cost of city services......and it goes on and on and on. All so some spoiled rich fuck can go sip chardonnay over $1000 plates of food and claim he appreciates the plight of us "commoners".

kawisixer01

I had the misfortune of landing about 2 minutes before AF1 in Portland one time. Because of this unfortunate timing the entire airport was brought to a screeching halt. My and many other commercial planes full of people trying their best to make it to important meetings, conduct business, or even just meet family were forced to sit on the tarmac in holding for over an hour while AF1 moved about and unloaded.
Leaving the airport I saw roads shut down with some of the worst traffic backups I have ever witnessed. I thought "oh well the president is here, I'm sure he's conducting some important national business". NOPE he was attending some high dollar $1500/plate campaign fund raiser.
I remember thinking something similar to this article. HOW RIDICULOUS! Just seeing this moving cluster fuck circus in action makes one really understand the amount of people, labor, and inconvenience any movement of the president brings about. Had I never seen it in action I never would have understood how the movement of one individual can really fuck up an entire city's day. Then think about the cost. The cost of AF1, the cost of the security detail, the cost of virtually shutting down an international airport, the cost of city services......and it goes on and on and on. All so some spoiled rich fuck can go sip chardonnay over $1000 plates of food and claim he appreciates the plight of us "commoners".

I agree completely with this. Somehow we have to get out of treating politicians (any politicians, this is not a partisan issue) as some sort of royalty with associated privileges and exceptional treatment. It is harmful to our democracy, as well as our economy.

I spent a day two summers ago on the ground because one of the guys running for president (I don't remember which one and it is irrelevant anyway) was giving a speech and there was a TFR for the area. I should have been spending my money and keeping businesses employed and profitable.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"