linebckr83

Terror Plot to Blow Up Wichita Airport

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/US-Attorney-FBI-to-hold-Wichita-briefing-on-national-security-arrest-235744221.html

I'm surprised how little coverage this got. Even locally, I work on the airport and most of us didn't know anything for quite a while. It would have been worse than the Boston bombing yet all news channels are more focused on a kid who killed himself with a gun. Gotta remember that sick people are all around us.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Story of a school shooter who succeeded in killing people is pretty much always going to get the lead story over some guy who only attempted to.

In the parlance, "If it bleeds, it leads."

A little less glib. The DHS capturing a guy before he kills anyone is how things are supposed to work. That's not even supposed to be news. That's functionally how we expect it to work.

Nobody is supposed to commit a school shooting.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No doubt this is true, but who did the shooter kill besides himself?

I'm not sure what he was thinking. 540am? It's not like the airport is crawling with people at that time. And I don't think he planned on waiting to detonate because there's no way he's getting from the Hawker Beechcraft service center to the airport terminal without tower realizing something is up.

Of course you can just take one look at the guy, conclude he's nuttier than a fruitcake, and write it off as a story of another idiot.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Arvoitus

***It's a shithole of an airport anyway.

Maybe it was an inside job to get funding for a better airport.

They are currently building a brand new terminal to the west, and will be demolishing the current one. Maybe he dislikes the construction company who was hired to do the demolition?
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

linebckr83

******It's a shithole of an airport anyway.

Maybe it was an inside job to get funding for a better airport.

They are currently building a brand new terminal to the west, and will be demolishing the current one. Maybe he dislikes the construction company who was hired to do the demolition?

Sounds more like he wanted to freelance the contract. I tell ya, it ain't easy being non-union.

From what I gather, it's kind of a police entrapment thing. The FBI found a guy filled with hate, gave him ideas, gave him fake bombs, and then arrested him when he actually tried to carry out his plan. That's not exactly a serious bomb plot from terrorists. That's the FBI going out and beating the bushes to find someone to set-up. Without FBI involvement and encouragement, one must wonder just how far this guy would have actually gone with his hate.

It's kind of like a police woman dressed up as a hooker waving guys over to the curb for a BJ. And then arresting men when they want to do what she offered them.

Boogers

It's kind of like a police woman dressed up as a hooker waving guys over to the curb for a BJ. And then arresting men when they want to do what she offered them.

It's kinda like that as both situations create a fine line that authorities have a lot more experience tip-toeing along than do would be Johns and terrorists.

See my thoughts on the issue as well as nerdgirl's tempering/clarification with which I agree.

Fixed it for you....

Boogers

From what I gather, it's kind of a police entrapment thing. The FBI found a guy filled with hate, gave him ideas, gave him fake bombs, and then arrested him when he actually tried to carry out their plan. That's not exactly a serious bomb plot from terrorists. That's the FBI going out and beating the bushes to find someone to set-up. Without FBI involvement and encouragement, one must wonder just how far this guy would have actually gone with his hate.

Boogers

From what I gather, it's kind of a police entrapment thing. The FBI found a guy filled with hate, gave him ideas, gave him fake bombs, and then arrested him when he actually tried to carry out his plan. That's not exactly a serious bomb plot from terrorists. That's the FBI going out and beating the bushes to find someone to set-up. Without FBI involvement and encouragement, one must wonder just how far this guy would have actually gone with his hate.

Your first paragraph - assuming for discussion that that's what happened - is inducing someone to do something unlawful by actively overcoming their natural disinclination to do it. That's what entrapment is.

Your second example is simply giving a person an opportunity to do something unlawful, whereupon they choose to do it, instead of saying "No thanks". That's generally not considered entrapment. Cops posing as hookers or johns are the classic examples of this. It's not uncommon for people pinched for this (especially johns) to attempt an entrapment defense, but if the defendant/john is an ordinary, un-wealthy, un-connected schmoe, it will likely fail.

LEO "stings" often skirt they grey area between entrapment and not. Should be interesting to see how this plays out once the guy lawyers-up.