turtlespeed

Maybe we should unionize Goodwill.

Isn't this what a union is supposed to be for?

These people are making as little as 38 cents per hour, and a million in compensation for the CEO's.

Helping the disabled?

The Goodwill of the Columbia Willamette is a great example of Goodwill's wage disparity. In 2011, the lowest paid worker earned just $1.40 per hour. Michael Miller, the president and CEO, earned $742,875 in total compensation. His pay has actually gone down in the past decade. Matthew Kish, a reporter with the Portland Business Journal, wrote in 2011 that, at one time, Miller's compensation package topped out at $831,508.

And the above quote is not the exception so much as the norm.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

i will have to first admit to not reading the article, due to apathy on the subject. now, is the lowest paid worker earning $1.40 per hour, like the quoted material? or $0.38, as in your original statement? may be nitpicking, but it is very relevant, if for no other reason than to call into question your fact checking.

Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

Goodwill does not use the disabled _as employees_ per se. It is a workforce skills training program (endorsed by disability.gov; a sub-agency within the US Department of Labor) of which the disabled are paid to learn. Goodwill finds out from the community the types of jobs they should train for in assembly, sub-assembly, packaging, fork-lift driving, sewing, light manufacturing, food service, etc. required by the community's for-profit organizations. Some of the disabled are taught things like sweeping a floor - so that for-profits will hire them. The money paid is in addition to their disability benefits.

Go check out your local Goodwill Organization to see what they do FOR the disabled. While you're at it; then go visit your local SERTOMA... who does the same thing; but because they are not quite as large as Goodwill don't make as wonderful a target for the media.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

Goodwill does not use the disabled _as employees_ per se. It is a workforce skills training program (endorsed by disability.gov; a sub-agency within the US Department of Labor) of which the disabled are paid to learn. Goodwill finds out from the community the types of jobs they should train for in assembly, sub-assembly, packaging, fork-lift driving, sewing, light manufacturing, food service, etc. required by the community's for-profit organizations. Some of the disabled are taught things like sweeping a floor - so that for-profits will hire them. The money paid is in addition to their disability benefits.

Go check out your local Goodwill Organization to see what they do FOR the disabled. While you're at it; then go visit your local SERTOMA... who does the same thing; but because they are not quite as large as Goodwill don't make as wonderful a target for the media.

Do you think 0.38/hour is acceptable?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

sfzombie13

i will have to first admit to not reading the article, due to apathy on the subject. now, is the lowest paid worker earning $1.40 per hour, like the quoted material? or $0.38, as in your original statement? may be nitpicking, but it is very relevant, if for no other reason than to call into question your fact checking.

1.40 was only one example.
If you did read the article . . .:)

turtlespeed

***Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

You're trying to tie me down with one variable in the equation. I won't play. Did you visit the local Goodwill training center already?

Or, you can read this article... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-gibbons/goodwill-and-the-power-of_b_3293985.html
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

******Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

You're trying to tie me down with one variable in the equation. I won't play. Did you visit the local Goodwill training center already?

Or, you can read this article... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-gibbons/goodwill-and-the-power-of_b_3293985.html

Training center? No. But I make regular visist for donations to my local store.

turtlespeed

*********Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

Oh my; isn't that perpetuating the problem you brought up? :)

BIGUN

************Goodwill was spotlighted by the Teamsters for advancing their own agenda and the whole thing took on its own whirlwind of copycat non-fact-finding reporting.

Oh my; isn't that perpetuating the problem you brought up? :)
I haven't been there since I found out.:)

turtlespeed

No, I think it could be too high.

Roomba robotic vacuums start at just $200, which would be just $0.10 / hour assuming a 2000 hour life time.

When you artificially increase the price of labor beyond the value of what it produces companies find market alternatives so instead of a bunch of jobs with low wages you have just a few which match or exceed the required wage.

For instance, instead of employing eight checkers my corner grocery store has eight machines with one supervisor to deal with problems and alcohol sales which the state requires to be completed by humans.

DrewEckhardt

No, I think it could be too high.

Roomba robotic vacuums start at just $200, which would be just $0.10 / hour assuming a 2000 hour life time.

When you artificially increase the price of labor beyond the value of what it produces companies find market alternatives so instead of a bunch of jobs with low wages you have just a few which match or exceed the required wage.

For instance, instead of employing eight checkers my corner grocery store has eight machines with one supervisor to deal with problems and alcohol sales which the state requires to be completed by humans.

So you think they should make less than 38 cents per hour for labor.

Gotcha

Gotcha

If they don't like what their making they should just quit and work somewhere else... Isn't that the republican rational I heard recently when talking about Walmart...

ibx

Gotcha

If they don't like what their making they should just quit and work somewhere else... Isn't that the republican rational I heard recently when talking about Walmart...

I am sure a few conservatives on the extreme right fringe - like the end of the tassels on a rug ;) might almost think that way, but most of us are reasonable.

I would say at LEAST half of minimum wage, since they are subsidized anyway. But that is just my opinion.

My first job was 3.10/hour . . . it was enough as a kid that was being subsidized by my parents at 12 years old.

ibx

Gotcha

i said it, and am not a Republican, fyi. Only party my wife and I have ever joined is the Democratic Party. Along with Lloyd Blankfein and Jamie Dimon.

Any reasonably honest person knows Goodwill and Walmart are not fair comparisons. I dont need to explain its so obvious.

These people are paid a small amount while being trained for more meaningful employment. They are still able to collect their full disability while working and learning at Goodwill. The goal is for them to learn a valuable skill and find meaningful employment. Perhaps be in a situation where they can refuse their disability payments.

the US labor movement is really showing their true colors attacking such a well meaning organization as Goodwill.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I think $0.38/hr is more than adequate. Without actually reading the article and only going on what is posted here - mostly because I'm too lazy and frankly don't really care - they are getting paid during their training and learning a new profession.

When I was being trained for my profession, I was never paid $0.38/hr. As a matter of fact I had to pay the college I was going to money for them to train me! And I was paying them way more than $0.38/hr to train me. So they are learning a new trade and being paid for it. Win - Win.

CygnusX-1

I think $0.38/hr is more than adequate. Without actually reading the article and only going on what is posted here - mostly because I'm too lazy and frankly don't really care - they are getting paid during their training and learning a new profession.

When I was being trained for my profession, I was never paid $0.38/hr. As a matter of fact I had to pay the college I was going to money for them to train me! And I was paying them way more than $0.38/hr to train me. So they are learning a new trade and being paid for it. Win - Win.

Try being an electrician apprentice and see what wages you get.