ryoder

Orthodox Judaism and child abuse

why are you being so anti-Semitic.

Don't you know you can't say anything negative about Jewish people, no criticism allowed no matter how true, or your a Nazi.

It is odd for me how we have Jewish religious police harassing people in NY, Rabbi who suck a young boys dick as a religious tradition yet you don’t hear shit about it.

Imagine if Muslim Shari Police, or Christian police were walking around NY harassing people how much air time that would get.

Wonder how quickly this will be swept under the rug.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

why are you being so anti-Semitic.

Don't you know you can't say anything negative about Jewish people, no criticism allowed no matter how true, or your a Nazi.

It is odd for me how we have Jewish religious police harassing people in NY, Rabbi who suck a young boys dick as a religious tradition yet you don’t hear shit about it.

Imagine if Muslim Shari Police, or Christian police were walking around NY harassing people how much air time that would get.

Wonder how quickly this will be swept under the rug.

Do you live in NYC? it is widely reported and police and prosecutors have openly discussed how hard it is to get convictions because they are a very closed society. NY Times has written about it, so its not swept under any rug by any means.

these closed religious societies are perfectly set up for abuse. Scientology has been charged with abuses, not sexual but physical and mental. The Amish have been accused of physical abuse of children. Not sexual but more medical. regular "english" parents would go to jail for not treating their children medically as the Amish often do. I'm talking about farm injuries that can be gruesome that do not get medical attention by modern standards. (my sister is a physician in Lancaster County and has Amish and Mennonite patients).

i'm not defended anyone but pointing out how difficult it can be to get convictions in these ultra religious closed communities. Also, that its not just Jewish people and the NY police, prosecutors nor media is hiding it. Just google it and you'll see its written about openly, as it should.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Do you live in NYC? it is widely reported and police and prosecutors have openly discussed how hard it is to get convictions because they are a very closed society. NY Times has written about it, so its not swept under any rug by any means.

Live in NY go to NYC often and have had friends who visit tell me stories they have experienced.

As for swept under the rug how much more attention would it get if it was a Islamic police, or Christian police? It wouldn;t be Vice it would fox, NBC, MSNBC all of them.

I think the issue is this mentioned in the article also. I know a few DZ.comers who fit the bill. Any thing that's negative about Jews must be a lie to them.

There is limited general education, to the point that most men in the community are educated only to the third grade, and receive absolutely no sexual education. No secular newspapers are allowed, and internet access is forbidden. “The men in the community are undereducated by design,” Ben said. “You have a community that has been infantilized. They have been trained not to think. It’s a sort of totalitarian control.”

i'm not defended anyone but pointing out how difficult it can be to get convictions in these ultra religious closed communities. Also, that its not just Jewish people and the NY police, prosecutors nor media is hiding it. Just google it and you'll see its written about openly, as it should.

Yea I disagree with you as mentioned before it would get so much more attention if it was Muslims, or even Christians.

As for them not prosecuting: its because the members of these groups, stick together and sacrifice justice for the sense camaraderie they have. That has always been the case with most Jewish communities, and it is the case with Scientology. They both use the same system, Sue your ass and take you to court if you point out truths that they cannot explain away.

Unfortunately the tactic works.

I've read of grumblings among Israelis over the special treatment the Orthodox Jews get, e.g.

The Haredim can work in those 2–3 years of their lives in which they do not serve in the IDF, while most soldiers at the IDF are usually paid anywhere between $80–250 a month.[92] All the while, Haredi yeshiva students receive significant monthly funds and payments for their religious studies[93] (up to $4500).

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_Judaism#Military

So not only can they avoid the compulsory military service, they can get a fat stipend from the government to spend their time studying religion.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I've read of grumblings among Israelis over the special treatment the Orthodox Jews get, e.g.

The Haredim can work in those 2–3 years of their lives in which they do not serve in the IDF, while most soldiers at the IDF are usually paid anywhere between $80–250 a month.[92] All the while, Haredi yeshiva students receive significant monthly funds and payments for their religious studies[93] (up to $4500).

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_Judaism#Military

So not only can they avoid the compulsory military service, they can get a fat stipend from the government to spend their time studying religion.

Wish they got a stipend studying science [:/]

weekender

The Amish have been accused of physical abuse of children. Not sexual but more medical. regular "english" parents would go to jail for not treating their children medically as the Amish often do. I'm talking about farm injuries that can be gruesome that do not get medical attention by modern standards. (my sister is a physician in Lancaster County and has Amish and Mennonite patients).

I grew up in rural Northern IN where we were the only "English" family in a half mile radius of about 6 Amish families. I thought it rather hypocritical that they could not own cars, but every time a wife went into labor, they were knocking on our door for my parents to drive them to the hospital.:D

Now bear in mind the Amish have no central authority like Catholics have in the Pope. Each group of Amish have a "bishop" who makes all the rules for them, so for example within a 30 mile radius, you can have:
- A group who can only drive black, box-like buggies.
- A group who can drive more stylish buggies that look like horse-drawn carriages from a 100 years ago.
- A group who can drive cars but only if they are black.
- A group who can drive cars as long as they are any dark color.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ok, so you agree its not swept under the rug but feel it would get more attention if it was another group. I agree. it probably would get far more attention, especially in NYC if it was a Muslim group. they are far less popular than Jewish and Christian folk to most NY'ers. Gee, wonder why that is?

that fact we are talking about it brings it more out of the shadows, as it should. like all decent people, i hope this group is prosecuted for any crimes, no matter how popular or unpopular they are.
John Frusciante

weekender

these closed religious societies are perfectly set up for abuse. Scientology has been charged with abuses, not sexual but physical and mental. The Amish have been accused of physical abuse of children. Not sexual but more medical. regular "english" parents would go to jail for not treating their children medically as the Amish often do. I'm talking about farm injuries that can be gruesome that do not get medical attention by modern standards. (my sister is a physician in Lancaster County and has Amish and Mennonite patients).

There is actually quite a lot of sexual abuse among Amish communities.

Another example is the "Reformed" mormons in places like Bountiful and Colorado City.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

There is actually quite a lot of sexual abuse among Amish communities.

Another example is the "Reformed" mormons in places like Bountiful and Colorado City.

i did assume that and would not be surprised. Not sure if that makes me awful or its awful that its a safe assumption. i did not mention it because i never read or heard about it first hand. i didnt want to make an accusation based on my prejudice of religious groups. so i mentioned the medical part i am aware of.

i will reiterate, i would like to see all groups who commit crimes be prosecuted no matter how popular or unpopular. even bankers, which judging by most posts here are the least popular people on earth.
John Frusciante

ryoder

Yuck.

I do not have much interaction with Haredim, so I can only guess what gives here.

It sounds all too much like the Jerry Sandusky case, and about as charming. It's a pity the law was changed.

In any event I know of no Rabbis who would defend this sort of vile activity for any reason, and think perpetrators should be surgically removed from society.

BSBD,

Winsor

Big on rhetoric and short on facts. Still just goes t show how unhealthy any closed community can be, especially one which claims to be chosen by God (regardless of how you say his name).
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Big on rhetoric and short on facts. Still just goes t show how unhealthy any closed community can be, especially one which claims to be chosen by God (regardless of how you say his name).

Actually, one does not.

The tetragrammaton yod-heh-vav-heh is never pronounced. There is an exception for the High Priest, once a year, in The Temple - which was destroyed by the Romans in CE 66, so that is moot.

The pronunciation popular among Christians is irrelevant. Absent nikkudot, how it should sound is but a guess.

In any event, rather a few Mitzvot preclude the use to which the Mikvah was put, and I know of nobody who would not be horrified.

I suspect even NAMBLA would have a hard time with it.

BSBD,

Winsor

Ok, let me try again, what I was saying is this could happen in any fundamentalist closed community regardless of the religion.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Ok, let me try again, what I was saying is this could happen in any fundamentalist closed community regardless of the religion.

With that I agree. My point is that one does not pronounce "the Name" (haShem), at least from the standpoint of Jewish practice and traditions.

Wherever it crops up in print, one says "Adonai," and makes no attempt to pronounce the tetragrammaton in practice.

I strongly agree that the activities in the OP's article are revolting, wherever they may occur, and I find it incomprehensible that they could be defended by anyone, anywhere.

Reading Plato always tested my gag reflex.

BSBD,

Winsor