CornishChris

"Prayer" vs medicine

gunpaq

The statement that disease is a product of sin is correct.

No it isn't.

HTH

Stumpy, what I wrote on the post was the following:

“The statement that disease is a product of sin is correct but one has to understand that this statement in context within the Christian faith refers to the original sin of Adam in the beginning of time and not the person who is afflicted by the disease.”

Please when quoting someone use the complete statement or phrase that they have made.

The concept of Original Sin and how it came about is flawed from the start. Let's break the events down logically:

1. God says "See that tree? Don't eat its fruit, or you'll know the difference between good and evil"
2. Adam and Eve - "Sure thing Boss!"
3. Adam and Eve eat the fruit - this is perfectly fine because they are simply doing things. They have ZERO concept that going against God is a "bad thing" UNTIL they eat the fruit. Now they know.
4. God gets all huffy and kicks them out of Paradise.

So we're left with 2 explanations.

A. God is just being a dick and punishing them horribly for doing something they couldn't know they shouldn't do until after they'd done it.

B. That part of Genesis (like most of Genesis, in fact) is about teaching boundaries and setting standards. The takeaway from the whole fruit thing is purely to set up a major rule - you do NOT go against what God says.

Pretty sure the answer's B. Otherwise there's no dodging that at least at the outset, God was just a cranky old fart... :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

gunpaq

The statement that disease is a product of sin is correct.

No it isn't.

HTH

Stumpy, what I wrote on the post was the following:

“The statement that disease is a product of sin is correct but one has to understand that this statement in context within the Christian faith refers to the original sin of Adam in the beginning of time and not the person who is afflicted by the disease.”

Please when quoting someone use the complete statement or phrase that they have made.

Actually no, in this case it doesn't make any difference whether or not I quoted the second half of your sentence. If you had said
"“The statement that disease is a product of sin is correct when its stated as part of interpreting the bible but....." or something along those lines, then I would have been incorrect in snipping the part of the sentence that I did. In this case, you made an absolute statement, and then went on to talk about bible interpretation afterwards. And you are still wrong.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The power of prayer is psychological and, to some extent, social. To the extent that stimulates a positive frame of mind, so be it. To the extent that, in turn, stimulates physiological sequelae that are medically beneficial, so be it. (Just as depression can stimulate physiological sequelae that are medically detrimental.) To the extent it promotes beneficial and supportive group dynamics, so be it.

Beyond that, it is, as the Brits say, bugger-all; and no dying-little-boy stories or one-with-the-universe vignettes are going to change that. If you think that's "harsh", well :S... see above.

Disease is a product of sin

REALLY!!! WOW! So... Let me get this straight, when a child falls ill form, let's say... Leukemia, this is because that child is a sinner?
Some years back, my cousins child died due to leukemia. He was two years old. Damn, your imaginary friend is one fucked up deity.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

There's a lot of discussion of this; while I don't ascribe to this theory of illness, Ron's (and others') contention is not that it was the 5-year-old's sin, but the presence of sin in the human existence, brought forth by Adam's original sin, that is the cause of disease.

So instead of blaming Canada, we can blame Adam and Eve

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

There's a lot of discussion of this; while I don't ascribe to this theory of illness, Ron's (and others') contention is not that it was the 5-year-old's sin, but the presence of sin in the human existence, brought forth by Adam's original sin, that is the cause of disease.

Wendy P.

Why not both?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Eden,_Nova_Scotia

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wmw999

Wendy P.

Horseshit is neither immunized nor nullified by being in good company.

For me, prayers to God for the purpose of: acceptance, calming, encouragement, insightful illumination, self examination, thankfulness, seeking direction & meaning in life is profound.

Prayer as a means of rubbing the magic lamp to make a wish is misguided.