powerofbinary

Corporate Welfare

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/publiccosts/fast_food_poverty_wages.pdf

The cost of public assistance to families of workers in the fast-food industry is nearly $7 billion per year.

At an average of $3.9 billion per year, spending
on Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance
Program (CHIP) accounts for more than half of
these costs.

Due to low earnings, fast-food workers’ families
also receive an annual average of $1.04 billion in
food stamp benefits and $1.91 billion in Earned
Income Tax Credit payments.

So the government has let the corporations know that it'll offer benefits so it doesn't have to.

Another fine example of how liberals/progressives have policies designed to fuck those they support.

The poor have been voting for progressives for 75 years. And the poor are still poor. Game. Set. Match.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

So the government has let the corporations know that it'll offer benefits so it doesn't have to.

Another fine example of how liberals/progressives have policies designed to fuck those they support.

The poor have been voting for progressives for 75 years. And the poor are still poor. Game. Set. Match.

Of the poor people I know, I'd wager >70% vote Republican. If you look around a map of the US, the states requiring the most federal aid vote Republican.

I don't think your argument is particularly compelling.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

lawrocket

No, the corporations pay below poverty levels and the state has to subsidise them or have children starving and blood on the streets.

lawrocket

Yep, everything's fine in the reddest state of all. Ted Cruz must be proud:

smmercury.com/2013/09/23/texas-again-has-highest-uninsured-rate-in-nation/

In addition to having the highest rate of people without health insurance in the nation, Texas also has the largest number of children without health insurance and the highest rate of poor adults without health insurance, according to 2012 American Community Survey estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau late Wednesday.

More than 852,000 Texas children lacked health insurance in 2012, according to the ACS estimates, which are taken from a random sampling of households throughout the year. California, which has 2.2 million more children than Texas, had the second-highest number of uninsured children at 717,000.

Texas also had the highest rate of adults making below 138 percent of the federal poverty threshold — lower than $15,415 for an individual or $26,344 for a family of three — who lack insurance, at 55 percent. Those people would have qualified for Medicaid coverage if the state had chosen to expand eligibility under the federal Affordable Care Act.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***So the government has let the corporations know that it'll offer benefits so it doesn't have to.

Yep, everything's fine in the reddest state of all. Ted Cruz must be proud:

smmercury.com/2013/09/23/texas-again-has-highest-uninsured-rate-in-nation/

In addition to having the highest rate of people without health insurance in the nation, Texas also has the largest number of children without health insurance and the highest rate of poor adults without health insurance, according to 2012 American Community Survey estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau late Wednesday.

More than 852,000 Texas children lacked health insurance in 2012, according to the ACS estimates, which are taken from a random sampling of households throughout the year. California, which has 2.2 million more children than Texas, had the second-highest number of uninsured children at 717,000.

Texas also had the highest rate of adults making below 138 percent of the federal poverty threshold — lower than $15,415 for an individual or $26,344 for a family of three — who lack insurance, at 55 percent. Those people would have qualified for Medicaid coverage if the state had chosen to expand eligibility under the federal Affordable Care Act.

Guess they need to work for a living then.

I wonder how many of those people are here ILLEGALLY?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There was an article in today's Chronicle saying that 59% of Texas fast food workers are receiving benefits of some kind.

They are working, just not earning enough to make it. There aren't enough jobs for them all. Raising the minimum wage isn't a solution by itself, as that just means higher prices.

But there aren't all stupid lazy people who aren't willing to try. FF work is hard and it sucks -- it's generally done by people who are too proud to telemarket, but have no other options.

Turtle, the easy answer is almost always the wrong one. Fixing the symptoms won't fix the disease in most human conditions -- fixing them might let the disease run its course and end (as in the case of cholera), but in others it just covers up the real underlying wrong, turning it into an expensive chronic condition.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/mcdonalds-wages-taxpayers_n_4100866.html?ref=topbar

Taxpayers are shelling out $1.2 billion a year to help pay workers at McDonald’s, according to an estimate from the National Employment Law Project published Tuesday. The organization used estimated figures from a study by University of California-Berkeley and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on how many fast food workers rely on public assistance programs like food stamps and Medicaid for its analysis.

Overall, low wages at the top 10 largest fast food chains cost taxpayers about $3.8 billion per year, NELP found.

As Republicans in Congress fight to curb spending on entitlement programs like food stamps, the report offers an often overlooked solution: Companies could pay workers more to decrease their reliance on public assistance.

"A very easy policy fix here would to raise the minimum wage," said Sylvia Allegretto, the co-chair of Berkeley’s Center on Wage and Employment Dynamics and one of the authors of the Berkeley/UI study. "The firms that pay a large share of their workers at or near the minimum wage -- these workers disproportionately have to rely on public subsidies."

wmw999

There was an article in today's Chronicle saying that 59% of Texas fast food workers are receiving benefits of some kind.

They are working, just not earning enough to make it. There aren't enough jobs for them all. Raising the minimum wage isn't a solution by itself, as that just means higher prices.

But there aren't all stupid lazy people who aren't willing to try. FF work is hard and it sucks -- it's generally done by people who are too proud to telemarket, but have no other options.

Turtle, the easy answer is almost always the wrong one. Fixing the symptoms won't fix the disease in most human conditions -- fixing them might let the disease run its course and end (as in the case of cholera), but in others it just covers up the real underlying wrong, turning it into an expensive chronic condition.

Wendy P.

OK. I'll ask the question more clearly, and not as an ambiguous interrogative thought.:)
How many of the people in those numbers quoted are ILLEGAL?:|

Seriously.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

powerofbinary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/mcdonalds-wages-taxpayers_n_4100866.html?ref=topbar

Taxpayers are shelling out $1.2 billion a year to help pay workers at McDonald’s, according to an estimate from the National Employment Law Project published Tuesday. The organization used estimated figures from a study by University of California-Berkeley and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on how many fast food workers rely on public assistance programs like food stamps and Medicaid for its analysis.

Overall, low wages at the top 10 largest fast food chains cost taxpayers about $3.8 billion per year, NELP found.

As Republicans in Congress fight to curb spending on entitlement programs like food stamps, the report offers an often overlooked solution: Companies could pay workers more to decrease their reliance on public assistance.

"A very easy policy fix here would to raise the minimum wage," said Sylvia Allegretto, the co-chair of Berkeley’s Center on Wage and Employment Dynamics and one of the authors of the Berkeley/UI study. "The firms that pay a large share of their workers at or near the minimum wage -- these workers disproportionately have to rely on public subsidies."

It wouldn't impact me at all as far as fast food goes.
It does however not just affect the FF industry.

Unless you are completely naive, you have to realize that it would be a blanket inflation move.

FF jobs are not meant to be permanent positions with retirement. They are stepping stones onto something better.

Instead of being so complacent, explore betterment. Government has a lot of self improvement benefits that could be used instead of the ones that are so easily acquired.

powerofbinary

None - Unless you can prove otherwise? Thought not.

So you say that no illegals are in this country?

powerofbinary

I'm saying that corporations get the benefit of billions of $'s of state welfare.

This thread is about food stamps, medicaid, and handouts to compensate for low wages. All of those programs are federal.

I think an almost 10% cut would be a good start.
Remove the illegals.

SkyDekker

******None - Unless you can prove otherwise? Thought not.

Yup, clearly. As much as you are saying everybody is illegal.

Why do I need to prove what the government admit, and any reasonable thinking person knows?

turtlespeed

*********None - Unless you can prove otherwise? Thought not.

Yup, clearly. As much as you are saying everybody is illegal.

Why do I need to prove what the government admit, and any reasonable thinking person knows?

You don't, but you asked for a specific number of FF workers needing additional help who are illegal in the US.

http://www.taxpayer.net/media-center/article/opinion-assault-on-food-stamps-for-the-poor-is-appalling-in-light-of-blaten

While the GOP has been pushing to slash food stamp benefits, there has been very little discussion, from either party, regarding federal agriculture policy that enables American agribusinesses to receive lucrative subsidies, which enable them to rake in huge profits regardless of market conditions. In the op-ed “Farm Bill’s Corporate Welfare is Unacceptable” (Jan. 2013, U.S. News and World Report), Ryan Alexander, president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, wrote the following regarding decade-old price and commodity supports: “Under current law, businesses that produce commodity crops — corn, soy, cotton, or wheat for example — receive a variety of federal supports.

One of these, direct payments, provides a per-acreage subsidy for certain farmland owners, regardless of prices, crop yield or profitability. As a result, some farm businesses making hundreds or thousands or even millions of dollars each year also receive a generous annual check from the federal government even if they don’t grow a crop.”

Alexander also wrote about the out-of-control spending of the highly subsidized federal crop insurance program: “This friendly sounding program provides generous federal subsidies (on average, 62 percent) to encourage farm businesses to purchase federal crop insurance policies. Unlike the insurance policies that most people or other businesses are familiar with, crop insurance actually insures not just crops, but the expected revenue from selling those crops. It’s as if your homeowners insurance didn’t just promise to pay you if your house burned down, but guaranteed you a profit when you decide to sell, even if you bought it at the peak of the bubble.

Federal crop insurance is out of control. In fiscal year 2012, the total cost of the crop insurance program set a new record of $14 billion. And here’s the kicker — 2012 was a year of near record profits for agriculture.

powerofbinary

******I'm saying that corporations get the benefit of billions of $'s of state welfare.

This thread is about food stamps, medicaid, and handouts to compensate for low wages. All of those programs are federal.

State in this context is nation-state i.e. federal.

Ah - yeah - just getting coffee now. :D

I read it again, yeah, I get that.

kallend

...the reddest state of all...

There's no such thing as a "red state" or a "blue state," at least not anymore. All there are now are "blue cities" and "everything else" where "everything else" is just kinda a mix of people that collectively lean a bit one way or the other, here and there, but not as cohesively as most people make out.

So any talk about "the blue states this..." and "the red states that..." like you're talking about any one thing is all garbage.

There's no such thing as a "red state" or a "blue state," at least not anymore. All there are now are "blue cities" and "everything else" where "everything else" is just kinda a mix of people that collectively lean a bit one way or the other, here and there, but not as cohesively as most people make out.

Haven't been to Texas, have you?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

champu

*** ...the reddest state of all...

So any talk about "the blue states this..." and "the red states that..." like you're talking about any one thing is all garbage.

You can deal with the concept, it's not difficult.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.