rushmc

I was just told I am a right wing extremeist

Let's see...

Absolute denial of climate change/AGW.

Pro fossil fuel/Anti alternative energy (hates Prius owners).

Complete disdain for "Obamacare."

Anti-Abortion.

Pro Gun Rights.

Against Welfare.

Somewhat Xenophobic.

Willing to allow government to force religious beliefs on the public (as long as they are Christian, not Islamic).

Against pretty much anything Obama is in favor of. Although to your credit, you don't seem to be racist - Many "anti Obama" people are pretty clearly against him because he is black, even though they strongly deny their racism (in the real world and on here). I don't see that in you.

I don't know if I'd call you an "extremist," but you are pretty extreme.

The opinions on here represent the entire spectrum. I don't think it's an exact representation, but it's pretty close to the "real world."

If you aren't "extreme right wing", then who on here is? You Gravmaster and Ron are pretty much the far right end of the spectrum on here.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I think there's a problem here with connotation.

The term "extremist" carries negative baggage, such that when we hear it, we immediately think of some nutjob, frothing at the mouth spewing whatever view he's being accused of, possibly dressed in rags standing on a street corner...

However, once can hold views that are to the extreme end of the spectrum (right or left) and be doing none of those things.

I think all of us, at one point or another somewhere in this forum, have said things that sound "extremist", as well.

It is a matter of semantics. I think.

As for the "where do morals come from?" debate, You guys do realize that philosophers since the beginning of recorded history have debated that very issue and no one has come up with a definitive answer? I think we spent two weeks on it in Philosophy 101 (yeah, that was part of my core classes at the AFA...). Just imagine little 18-yr-old idealistic me, the lone liberal in a sea of conservatives...ahh, halcyon days...

Anyway, this also touches on the bane of our current philosophical existence...moral relativism. ugh. don't get me started. The logical inconsistency of it alone makes me rage.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

rushmc

So, I thought I would put out here what I stand for and see what others think is extreme

I stand for;

A less intrusive government

Yet you want the government to interfere with womens' reproductive rights. Pretty hypocritical of you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***So, I thought I would put out here what I stand for and see what others think is extreme

I stand for;

Yet you want the government to interfere with womens' reproductive rights. Pretty hypocritical of you.

Non argument
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Bullshit, moral values change over time. 150 years ago it was morally totally OK to own slaves, beat your wife and children and take land from the natives...

Jesus Christ, you are so ignorant.

The Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, do not change.

And Jesus Christ has nothing to do with either.

dmcoco84

Bullshit, moral values change over time. 150 years ago it was morally totally OK to own slaves, beat your wife and children and take land from the natives...

They need to confuse what is moral and accepted.

Slavery was accepted but it was NEVER morally right

This is how they (the left) are trying to change things today

They want to say because it is accepted it is moral

Then, that which is accepted becomes the fault of society and absolves the individual of personal responsibility for ones actions
Abraham Lincoln

wolfriverjoe

Let's see...

Absolute denial of climate change/AGW.

Pro fossil fuel/Anti alternative energy (hates Prius owners).

Complete disdain for "Obamacare."

Anti-Abortion.

Pro Gun Rights.

Against Welfare.

Somewhat Xenophobic.

Willing to allow government to force religious beliefs on the public (as long as they are Christian, not Islamic).

Against pretty much anything Obama is in favor of. Although to your credit, you don't seem to be racist - Many "anti Obama" people are pretty clearly against him because he is black, even though they strongly deny their racism (in the real world and on here). I don't see that in you.

I don't know if I'd call you an "extremist," but you are pretty extreme.

The opinions on here represent the entire spectrum. I don't think it's an exact representation, but it's pretty close to the "real world."

If you aren't "extreme right wing", then who on here is? You Gravmaster and Ron are pretty much the far right end of the spectrum on here.

The only one that is completely correct is the one I highlighted above
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

"completely" is a great weasel word. So on all the others, you're only 95% onboard?

And Joe, there's nothing "right wing extremist" about being pro gun rights. It's part of the fucking Constitution, and has supporters across the left/right political spectrum.

kelpdiver

"completely" is a great weasel word. So on all the others, you're only 95% onboard?

And Joe, there's nothing "right wing extremist" about being pro gun rights. It's part of the fucking Constitution, and has supporters across the left/right political spectrum.

Well just look at what he posted

I am not against alternative energy
I am against government pushing one over another and trying to kill an industry

I am not against welfare
I dont want the gov pushing anything

I am not anit abortion but I am strongly pro life
Abraham Lincoln

kelpdiver

...And Joe, there's nothing "right wing extremist" about being pro gun rights. It's part of the fucking Constitution, and has supporters across the left/right political spectrum.

I fully agree that gun rights are part of the Constitution. And I also agree that it has supporters across the spectrum (the "Pink Pistols" are a great example).

But it tends to be more prevalent among the conservatives, and gun control tends to be more prevalent among the liberals.
I was looking more at a "whole picture" of Rushmc, not just a specific trait.
And I thought I made it clear that I don't see him as an "Extremist", just one of the more extreme right wingers on here.

And I forgot to include "Against Gay Rights" on the list.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

rushmc

******So, I thought I would put out here what I stand for and see what others think is extreme

I stand for;

Non argument

Wasn't arguing, just pointing out your hypocrisy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Stumpy

That is total contradiction. Either people know good from evil or they are taught it by their parents... Which is it ?

Really, you don't believe that it could be a combination of the two? Some inherent understanding with some parental guidance?

nope. not at all. If you grow up south of the border in mexico, your whole being is totally different from someone growing up north of the border. that's why you have law enforcement officers running drugs and protection, people going to a witch doctor to find out what to do in business deals, etc.

morals are trained thing - and a luxury for many.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

WTF are you talking about? Laws of nature, Natures God, What do these words mean ?

They need to confuse what is moral and accepted.

Slavery was accepted but it was NEVER morally right

This is how they (the left) are trying to change things today

They want to say because it is accepted it is moral

Then, that which is accepted becomes the fault of society and absolves the individual of personal responsibility for ones actions

That's what you say in hindsight... I wonder if a Christian slave owner in 1840 saw it that way...

What about killing somebody? Is killing someone immoral? Is homosexuality universally immoral?

Show me the universal set of morals that you think exist...

kallend

*********So, I thought I would put out here what I stand for and see what others think is extreme

I stand for;

Non argument

Wasn't arguing, just pointing out your hypocrisy.

No hypocrisy

YOU need to argue the point as a rights issue
And to do this you must assert societal acceptance
If society accepts it then you are ok with it
Then, you are no longer responsible
You have your out because it is societies fault
Much like the slave owners back in the day
A moral equivalency if you will
That is the only way you have any ground to stand on
It is not a rights issue
It is a moral issue
And your position can not stand up to a moral measurement
You want to allow the murder of unborn babies
I do not think we should (at least hap hazardly anyway)

It is situations like this, that those like you create these bogus arguments and attack Christianity
Abraham Lincoln

ibx

WTF are you talking about? Laws of nature, Natures God, What do these words mean ?

Is this a serious response?

That's what you say in hindsight... I wonder if a Christian slave owner in 1840 saw it that way...

What about killing somebody? Is killing someone immoral? Is homosexuality universally immoral?

Are you an American or a foreign national?

I don't think you're a "right wing extremist."

That said, based on your posting habits here, I do think you sort of have an unhealthy obsession with the right wing point of view. It's pretty much all you post about.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

I don't think you're a "right wing extremist."

That said, based on your posting habits here, I do think you sort of have an unhealthy obsession with the right wing point of view. It's pretty much all you post about.

This is serious and not meant as any kind of shot at you

I think I feel the same about you
Except I would drop the word unhealthy
Abraham Lincoln

Here's the thing, Marc, I can't recall you posting about anything without it being viewed through the left vs right lens. Anything. I'm sure you have, but it seems as if every post you make is about some right vs left issue.

Take a break. Go see a movie. A concert. A museum. Have a meal with a friend. Fuck. Talk about boobies. Tell me what your favorite Scotch is.

There's a whole world out there.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ibx

Oh dear. I told you not to get me started, but then again, apparently no one here reads my posts, so I guess I'll jump in here, write a reasoned and rational response, and of course be totally ignored. But I'll do it anyway. I'll even throw in some borderline ad hominems, maybe my post will get read...

Here's a good, non-religious refutation of the piece of shit "philosophy" of moral relativism: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2006/08/the-roots-of-morality-i/

Of course, since i doubt any of you armchair philosophers here will actually read that, I'll sum up with a quote from it.

...the relativist finds himself in a logical trap. If he grants that this view is true for the holder, then by definition it is true for everyone, and moral relativism is false. On the other hand, if he denies that this view is true, he is contradicting his own beliefs and betraying a belief in objective moral statements. Either way, moral relativism is false. There is no other way out of this dilemma, no third option that has been overlooked. The same principle cannot both apply and not apply to others; this is basic logic, the principle of non-contradiction.

Of course this philosophical papers don't really go into the consequences of relativism in the real world. Basically, this crap idea is the root of most of our problems, IMHO. And it's not a liberal or conservative issue, either. even people who say they are "conservative" or religious or what have you are still falling into the relativism trap.

Yes, murder is absolutely wrong. Rape is absolutely wrong. I don't care where you are from. If Joe comes from a culture where rape is a morning ritual...well, that culture is wrong, and you KNOW it. There is a difference between accepted and right.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled out-of-context quotes and one-liners that completely ignore the real issues. Carry on.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!