ibx

North pole turned into lake....

Yes and its not the first time, its been a lake before do a search youll see pics of Russian Subs when its ice and when its a lake.

Calm down people take deep breaths
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

it happened in 1984 as well

Edite to add: It’s happened a few times, climate is cyclical.

Oh and I do believe we are effecting the climate on the planet. I think it’s insane to think that billions of people and all there shit wouldn't.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Skyrad

***He can kayak to the north pole now...

Bloody awesome idea!

Um - no. Just last month there was the rhetoric about the large openwater sea at the north poie. Now it's a freshwater lake at the North Pole.

There are four guys who set out to row the Northwest passage. They aren't anywhere close to completing it and they've had to walk their rowboat about as far as they've rowed it. [Url]mainstreamlastfirst.com[/url] These dudes have spent six weeks going as far as they planned to go in a week and a half.

But for anyone looking for a North Pole lake or the existence of the Northwest Passage (or even Northeast Passage) take a look at http://www.arctic.io/observations/. What does the image say about the chances of rowing the Northwest Passage?

Understood, there's cloud cover over the North Pole on today's image. But - if anyone can find: (1) the North Pole Lake: (2) a kayak route to the North Pole (no. Not the magnetic North Pole like those dudes did a couple of summers ago); or (3) a route through the Northwest Passage, please point it out.

Meanwhile, the Antarctic ice extent has been above normal for 600 days straight now. The whole "Hole in North Pole Ice" to "End of Multi-year Ice" to "Ice is still there at North Pole but there's liquid fresh water on top" is sounding a lot like "Global Warming" becomes "Climate Change" becomes "Polar Amplification" becomes "Arctic Sea Ice Melting." Turning a global issue into a three month issue affecting only one of the farthest reaches on earth.

Let's quit the rhetoric and have an honest discussion. For me? Let's start with those rowers I mentioned. They've got fewer that six weeks before the minimum is reached. Then it starts getting really nasty. Get out of there before they need a rescue or they end up dying. In late April, one man was killed and two others were evacuated in critical condition from just a couple of days trying to cross the Greenland Ice Sheet. No, it was not as warm and balmy as they believed.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Gravitymaster

Why was there a buoy sitting on top of the ice in the first picture? That seems pretty strange.

It's an NPEO buoy. http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/

The wierd thing is, according to the data, there isn't a buoy above 86° north latitude. Look at the upper right and it is the image from the Atmospheric monitoring buoy. The gif says it's an NPEO buoy. However, this page http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/DriftTrackMap.html lists Barneo Buoy Farm "and webcams." MEaning that it may be the green-lined buoy drifting toward the Fram Strait.

So while I'm not sure which buoy it is, I am pretty certain that it's not at the North Pole.

>So while I'm not sure which buoy it is, I am pretty certain that it's not at the North Pole.

Heck, not even the ice cap is exactly at the North Pole. It's a floating cap of ice so it moves around as well. There are several buoys that float in that general area, above 88N.

In late April, one man was killed and two others were evacuated in critical condition from just a couple of days trying to cross the Greenland Ice Sheet. No, it was not as warm and balmy as they believed.

People die of exposure trying to walk across 100km of moorland in southern england, in summer. It's a lot easier than you might think.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

In late April, one man was killed and two others were evacuated in critical condition from just a couple of days trying to cross the Greenland Ice Sheet. No, it was not as warm and balmy as they believed.

People die of exposure trying to walk across 100km of moorland in southern england, in summer. It's a lot easier than you might think.

Moisture in the air can really turn against you when the temperature dips.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Of course. They have buoys designed to measure the flow of the ice. The map I linked showed them. It's also why there is no such thing as decade old ice. It's also why ice extent is dominated by winds.

But it turns out that it is indeed PAWS Buoy 819920 - indicated by the green triangle on the green line approaching the Fram Strait (as I suspected). It's position is 84.794°N, 4.869°W. Outside temperature is 0.2°C. Assuming 69 miles per degree of latitude, 69 timed 5.026 is about 360 miles.

The "lake" is 360 miles from the north pole. It's like putting up a photo of Washington, DC and calling it Toronto.

One does not prove the North Pole is melting by pointing to a place 350 miles away.

lawrocket

Of course. They have buoys designed to measure the flow of the ice. The map I linked showed them. It's also why there is no such thing as decade old ice. It's also why ice extent is dominated by winds.

But it turns out that it is indeed PAWS Buoy 819920 - indicated by the green triangle on the green line approaching the Fram Strait (as I suspected). It's position is 84.794°N, 4.869°W. Outside temperature is 0.2°C. Assuming 69 miles per degree of latitude, 69 timed 5.026 is about 360 miles.

The "lake" is 360 miles from the north pole. It's like putting up a photo of Washington, DC and calling it Toronto.

One does not prove the North Pole is melting by pointing to a place 350 miles away.

The north pole is the point of intersection of the Earth's rotational axis with the Earth's surface. To the best of my knowledge a mathematical point cannot melt.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[Url]http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/NPEO2013/WEBCAM2/ARCHIVE/npeo_cam2_20130728191144.jpg[/url]

Break out the shovel and the skates. Looks like the lake has frozen over. And quickly, too. [Url]http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/NPEO2013/WEBCAM2/ARCHIVE/[/url]

They haven't updated the buoy position in a couple of days. [Url]http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/DriftTrackMap.html[/url](green diamond)

The photo history shows a sunsets getting darker and darker. Since the north pole is losing 8 minutes per day of sunlight, we can expect warming to slow down and sea ice hit it's minimum around Sep. 16.

lawrocket

Since the north pole is losing 8 minutes per day of sunlight, we can expect warming to slow down and sea ice hit it's minimum around Sep. 16.

Not sure I understand this statement. At the exact pole the sun won't set until Autumnal Equinox, when the pole loses 6 months of sunlight all at once.

Did you mean at the Arctic Circle?

>Since the north pole is losing 8 minutes per day of sunlight, we can expect warming to
>slow down and sea ice hit it's minimum around Sep. 16.

Well, the North Pole isn't losing any sunlight; the light is just getting shallower.

Also, although the minimum sea ice occured last year on Sept 16 (indeed, it was the smallest amount of sea ice recorded since recordkeeping began) there's nothing special about that day. It could be +/- 2 weeks depending on winds, weather etc.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/q/s/Paper1_Observing_changes_in_the_climate_system.PDF

www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/q/0/Paper2_recent_pause_in_global_warming.PDF

www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/3/r/Paper3_Implications_for_projections.pdf

In Conclusion: When projections from the newer CMIP5 models are combined with observations, and
specifically including the surface temperatures from the last 10 years, the upper bound of
projections of warming are slightly reduced, but the lower bound is largely unchanged. More
importantly, the most likely warming is reduced by only 10%, indicating that the warming that
we might previously have expected by 2050 would be delayed by only a few years.
Observational constraints on the ECS are more problematic because of uncertainties in
energy storage in the Earth system. Again the models continue to provide a consistent range
of values for the ECS, lying within the uncertainty range of the observationally-based
estimates.
In conclusion, the recent pause in global surface temperature rise does not invalidate climate
models or their estimates of climate sensitivity. It does however raise some important
questions about how well we understand and observe the energy budget of the climate
system, particularly the important role of the oceans in taking up and redistributing heat, as
highlighted in the second report. In particular, this report emphasises that the recent pause in
global surface warming does not, in itself, materially alter the risks of substantial warming of
the Earth by the end of this century.