gpflyer

Static Line?

I went on my second jump today! It went great! I am so excited to start doing everything on my own now! They told me that I will be doing static line next. What exactly do you do? :S[:/]:ph34r:

"The best things in life are DANGEROUS!"

Come next door and do AFF. You might not like static line since there's no freefall...but Wright Brothers doesn't offer AFF...so come to Eugene Skydivers! :)

Or you might not like AFF as generally it costs more, less focus on canopy control, and you end up having to meet the same requirements to get your class A.

But whatever you do, have fun and be safe!

Or you might not like AFF as generally it costs more, less focus on canopy control, and you end up having to meet the same requirements to get your class A.

Overall, here, they cost about the same. Your just spending more at once to get thru AFF and off student status. S/L costs the same but is drawn out.
Less focus on canopy control? They're the same. You have to land a parachute with both. Period.

The time between leaving the step and having an open canopy is called freefall. No matter how long it is. Really.

There are pros and cons to AFF and S/L. But if what you really want is the most possible time in freefall (or what feels like it), then go to the wind tunnel.

There are many pieces to a skydive; each of them is worthy of focus. Static line and AFF start out by focusing on different pieces, that's all.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

then go to the wind tunnel

...but that's not freefall :P

Either way it's up to her or whoever is deciding. Which she has expressed to me that AFF sounds more exciting.

There was more than one reason I told her to come to ESD and do AFF. Heck, she could come to us and do S/L. It's safer over here and she knows what I'm talking about.
[:/]

But simply put, from what I've seen from alot of students, going from a tandem to S/L is not that appealing. Even first time students that come to do S/L and realize the lower altitudes, choose a tandem instead. :S

Thats a bold statement to throw out without even trying to justify it.

First of all what's your deal. You just pick and pick and pick. But anyway...

I wouldn't say it's a "feud" just a safety issue...

from gpflyer...
(sorry gp but this guys got a bug up his butt and "requests" my justification.:S)

" The first time we went, my brother said he could smell alcohol on his breath. I thought to myself, "GREAT! That makes me feel really good about this!" "

" Hey! Thanks for the info. When I went there yesterday I was really nervous because Dave was acting kind of funny and you could see that he was shaking a lot. I don't know if it was just from the heat or what, but I didn't like it. "

If you need me to justify myself any further just let me know.[:/]

I agree s/l lets you gain more canopy control... I don't care what anyone says.....:S:S I shoud know I have 11 jumps s/l even though I just did my 5 second delay at least I have made the dz everytime but 2 (my first 2). I am just getting into the freefall adventure but my instructors are great and I like the extra time to learn canopy control an landings than I will worry about freefall...

Have always wanted to be a social butterfly but now I have the wind beneath my feet.

Missed your dropzone on your first two s/l jumps? Sounds like a real bad spot or poor/no ground-to-air communication. By the way, how big is the dz and from what altitude did you jump from adn did the inst. show you the dz from the airplane?

I can't believe that an innocent question turned into we're safer than them. (who am I kidding, of course I can)

Whether true or not, it turns people (especially new jumpers) off the sport.

I know you think you're giving good advice but what you're really doing is shaking the OPs confidence in her instructors.

Maybe we should think about the student and not our own selfish opinions. Brag about your facilities, airpower and instructors but the safety crack ...
waaaaaay out of line! Giving a student more anxiety on their jump is a real shitty thing to do.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I can't believe that an innocent question turned into we're safer than them. (who am I kidding, of course I can)

Whether true or not, it turns people (especially new jumpers) off the sport.

I know you think you're giving good advice but what you're really doing is shaking the OPs confidence in her instructors.

Maybe we should think about the student and not our own selfish opinions. Brag about your facilities, airpower and instructors but the safety crack ...
waaaaaay out of line! Giving a student more anxiety on their jump is a real shitty thing to do.

What he said... the "my DZ can beat up your DZ" stuff should really be kept to the Bonfire... :P

---- back on Topic ----

GPFlyer,
"Back in the day", I went through a modified Static Line program that Bob Celaya used to run at Cal City. Your first 5 jumps where static line jumps and then the remaining 7 were linda like the old AFF program from Level 4 on.

Anyway, on your first static line jump, you'll get out of the airplane (the exit will varry depending on what kind of aircraft they use), arch and the static line will "pull" the main for you... either direct bag or pilot chute assist... ala "military airborne" style. After that, you'll deal with any emergencies if they happen and pilot your canopy back to the landing area and land it with or without the help of a radio...

Don't worry... They'll cover everything you need to know in training.

Let us know how it goes. It'll be fun!

:)

I don't think you read what I quoted from PM's she sent me. She had a lack of confidence in her instructor before I EVER came in to the picture. ;)

I don't think you read what I quoted from PM's she sent me. She had a lack of confidence in her instructor before I EVER came in to the picture. ;)

Just my 2 cents... then why don't you keep your discussions with her along those lines in the PMs and off the board?

... and, have you ever done a SL jump yourself?

then why don't you keep your discussions with her along those lines in the PMs and off the board?

... and, have you ever done a SL jump yourself?

...because sparky wanted my justification :S

yes, 1. my very first jump. I wasn't that thrilled with it...so then did tandems and on to AFF.

Yes mister board/pm police...I will keep pm chat in the pm's and board chat on the board.:P

Okay, Okay children!!!!!!! I'm sorry I ever posted this in the first place. I wasn't aware of all of the negativity in the forums. I just wanted some insight. And by the way, I was a little worried myself of my DZ before I even signed up on here. All of the info given to me was by my request. So, thank you eveyone who gave good advice, and will eveyone else please CHILL OUT! :P

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live. Dorothy Thompson ;)

"The best things in life are DANGEROUS!"