Kennedy

Ideas of Gun Ban Politicians

US Rep Diane Degette: Magazines can only be used once

Asked why banning ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds would be effective in reducing gun violence, DeGette responded:
"These are ammunition, they're bullets, so the people who have those now, they're going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won't be any more available."

And this is a topic she says she's passionate about. How little does she know about topics that she isn't passionate about?

VP Biden: Assault weapons aren't used by criminals, so no one needs one

Question: “What reasonable measures can we implement that might reduce the loss of life as opposed to repeating the same failed laws of previous administrations?”
Biden: “Well, let me set the record straight in your question. It [the AWB] didn’t expire because it proved ineffective, it expired because it had to be re-authorized in 10 years. When I originally wrote the legislation, the only way to get it passed was an agreement to have a 10 year life and have to be re-authorized, and the last administration [Bush] chose not to seek re-authorization. That’s number one.
“Number two, it is true that the vast majority of gun deaths in America are not the consequence of the use of an ‘assault weapon’. But that begs the question of whether assault weapons have any real utility either in terms of any sporting or self protection needs"

Sen Feinstein: I've seen imploding bullets
Much worse than the imploding bullet idiocy is her ideas on enough is enough. Her view of civil liberties: isn't that enough? How much do you people want? Why shouldn't we limit citizens to 3000 models of gun? Really? Maybe we should limit the first to only ten newspapers, or only 10,000 books.

Biden is just too easy. We could use his "warning blasts from a double barrel shotgun" bit. Or we could use the "just shoot through the door" rant. But my favorite from him recently has to be the "shotgun rounds don't go through walls" comment.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It's a 7 week old story, and it's been posted-about before here, and talked to death. No, I'm not being the posting police; but really, at what point do we Americans totally overwhelm the website with our obsession with "new" gun threads? A some point it gets like Tourette's.

You noticed that there were three separate quotes in there right, not just the magazine idiocy? I was going to add some more idiocy and them move to intentional misrepresentation and downright lies.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Andy9o8

It's a 7 week old story, and it's been posted-about before here, and talked to death. No, I'm not being the posting police; but really, at what point do we Americans totally overwhelm the website with our obsession with "new" gun threads? A some point it gets like Tourette's.

*cough* DB Cooper thread *cough*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I tend to agree with Dave and 908 here.

The gun ban push appears to be pretty much dead in the water for now and we've done little more than re-hash the same ol', same ol' for a long, log time now.

That's not to say ignore the problem, though, and I agree that we can't let it slide by lest we let it sneak up on us unawares.

I think we can, most all of us, agree that biden and feinstein, et al., are clueless.

To be fair, their intentions are good but they are missing the boat by an ocean or two.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

I tend to agree with Dave and 908 here.

The gun ban push appears to be pretty much dead in the water for now and we've done little more than re-hash the same ol', same ol' for a long, log time now.

That's not to say ignore the problem, though, and I agree that we can't let it slide by lest we let it sneak up on us unawares.

I think we can, most all of us, agree that biden and feinstein, et al., are clueless.

To be fair, their intentions are good but they are missing the boat by an ocean or two.

Dead and over?

Far from it
Biden stated just lately that a new push is coming this fall

Got to remember, when dealing with liberals who want total control of ones lives, they NEVER stop

No, not dead
not even close

And the move Andy complains about bringing it up, the more I will post

Bring it on Andy
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

AggieDave

***It's a 7 week old story, and it's been posted-about before here, and talked to death. No, I'm not being the posting police; but really, at what point do we Americans totally overwhelm the website with our obsession with "new" gun threads? A some point it gets like Tourette's.

You know why they couldn't find DB Cooper?

Nanothermite.

Pretty obvious when you think about it.

winsor

******It's a 7 week old story, and it's been posted-about before here, and talked to death. No, I'm not being the posting police; but really, at what point do we Americans totally overwhelm the website with our obsession with "new" gun threads? A some point it gets like Tourette's.

You know why they couldn't find DB Cooper?

Nanothermite.

Pretty obvious when you think about it.

Really???

Damn
I was told that some black helo's picked him up

Wow

another belief destroyed
:P
Abraham Lincoln

Federal gun control is on the back burner. For them it's never really dead. However at the state and local level it is most assuredly not dead. And if its alive and well in state bills that are becoming law, is it really that far from being introduced into the house or senate?

Look at New York, Massachusetts, California, and others.
witty subliminal message
1*

popsjumper

Dead and over? Far from it.

Maybe you missed it the first time: "...dead in the water for now..."

I dont think so

The Iowa Senate tried to slip through a bad gun control measure in an education bill

If no one was paying attention the damned thing would have gotten passed

Sorry, I disagree, not near dead anywhere
Abraham Lincoln

Federal gun control is on the back burner.

Exactly. We all are sure that there is more to come at the federal level sometime down the road....for now, they are re-grouping and re-planning, yes.

However at the state and local level it is most assuredly not dead.

Good point. I was only thinking of the feds.

And if its alive and well in state bills that are becoming law, is it really that far from being introduced into the house or senate?

Feds is Feds, state is state....yes, the states you mentioned are operating on their own business...which is why I said, "Good point" above. The feds will do whatever they do regardless of what the states do.

I dunno though. Suppose state laws gets squashed by the SC. That will certainly cause problems at the fed level trying to write gun bills, yes?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

I dont think so

We're good. I was just considering feds, not state level.

Maybe as I am thinking both but

in either case we're goodB|
Abraham Lincoln

popsjumper

The gun ban push appears to be pretty much dead in the water for now

Health care reform died many times, yet still managed to get through. The point is to keep it down, though maybe most energy should be focused on the states and their local nonsense moves.

I did like Biden's comment about the AWB sunset being Bush's fault. Last I checked, Congress can introduce its own legislation...in fact, no one else can do so.

kelpdiver

Health care reform died many times, yet still managed to get through. The point is to keep it down, though maybe most energy should be focused on the states and their local nonsense moves.

I did like Biden's comment about the AWB sunset being Bush's fault. Last I checked, Congress can introduce its own legislation...in fact, no one else can do so.

I guess the ACA can't be attributed to Obama, then.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DaVinci

You would be correct if he had not signed it.

Doh! :o
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

Solely? No. But he certainly was the primary driver behind it, making the deals to get the necessary votes. Do you attribute SS to FDR, or who? The War vs Poverty was definitely LBJ's. Star Wars was definitely Reagan's.

The failure to even propose an extension to the AWB - the Democratic Party. It certainly would have been a waste of time given the breakdown of Congress, but the reason they didn't do it was because it cost them votes and they were currently out of the White House. They tried to have their cake and eat it too.

I don't think their intentions are good at all. i don't think they're driven by anything other than ideology which leads them to push for something even though they know it will make no or little difference. They really don't care whether it's good or bad, just want to get guns out of the hands of civilians, period.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

“The California Senate on Wednesday approved a package of seven gun control bills, including background checks for people who buy ammunition, introduced in response to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.” Well, the latimes.com would say that wouldn’t they? Not to mention burying the big kahuna in the tenth paragraph. “The Senate also approved a bill that would outlaw the sale, purchase and manufacture in California of semiautomatic rifles that can accept detachable magazines. SB 374 also would require those who own such weapons to register them with the state.”

California Senate approves seven gun control bills

MotherJones article on the bills

By the way, WTF is a "bullet button"? Are they talking about the magazine release?!?
ETA
These are the things they wanted. I have to see if some of them are dead or still pending.

Ban the possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds

Prevent the future sale, purchase, manufacture, importation, or transfer of any firearms that can accept detachable magazines

Close the "bullet button" loophole by banning tools that allow the quick changing of gun magazines

Regulate ammunition sales like the state regulates gun sales. Ammunition dealers would need to be licensed and anyone buying from them would need to obtain a permit and complete a background check.

Create a 5 cent tax on each bullet purchased, for the purpose of funding crime prevention

Prevent felons and other adults barred from gun ownership from living in a house that contains any guns

Prohibit the loaning or sale of a firearm between people who know each other personally

Take steps to phase out legal possession of assault weapons that were purchased before
California outlawed their sale

Require all firearms owners to take an hours-long gun safety course every year, similar to what the state now requires for obtaining a concealed-weapon permit

Require gun owners to purchase insurance to cover damage they may inflict

Require CalPERS and CalSTRS, two of the nation's largest pension funds, to divest from companies that make, sell, or market firearms or ammunition

witty subliminal message
1*

They are talking about a modification to the magazine release on a rifle that prevents you from being able to use it with your finger. It makes it much smaller and recesses it so that you have to use a small pointed object (such as a loose round, hence the name "bullet button") to remove the magazine.

The point is that it makes removing the magazine sufficiently cumbersome so as to ease the fear (or so it was thought) of people who believe that people reloading quickly is a statistically significant factor in gun violence.

I don't think their intentions are good at all. ...

I agree.

To quote a portion of a post:

1) Highlight and copy portion you want to quote
2) Hit "reply"
3) Hit "quote"
4) Paste what you copied
5) Hit "quote" again

Then type your reply

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

CA law said that you can't have detachable (without using a tool) mags. Someone came up with a simple mod for AR's that required the use of a tool to remove mags. They just (sort of) recessed the mag release button so that you couldn't depress it with your finger. A round of ammo (the tool) could be used to depress the button, and that's why it's called a bullet button. CA DOJ approved it. I guess the millions of lives saved by banning mag changes without use of a tool wasn't enough, so they banned bullet buttons as well. It's for the children.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Just like to point out that not everyone who wants stricter controls on access to guns by those who are disqualified from owning them are calling for gun bans, AW bans, magazine capacity bans, etc.

Many of us just want to see loopholes closed, more effective background checks, and tougher penalties for straw purchasers.

And I think many gun enthusiasts agree with all of those.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.