brenthutch

Global temps continue to fall

kallend

************I'm still waiting for kallend to let us know how "think progress " has more credibility then the "international journal of modern physics"

Kallend have you had a chance to review the peer reviewed study published in the International Journal of Modern Physics? Or is it invalidated because it was I who brought it to your attention?

Maybe it's because I've been on vacation and had better things to do with my time.:P

1 peer reviewed study out of thousands doesn't change much.

I did not know that was how science worked.

If 10,000 peer reviewed studies showed the risk of cancer increased when you smoke, and one found that it didn't, would you believe the one because it suited you?

THAT is what brenthutch does.

K, I know you can fight, B|, your own battles, but don't you get it that no matter what yo say these :ph34r: 's don't care! you r wasting your time.

C

Logically then let the Koch brothers sponsered lemmings have their "fun."
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Logically then let the Koch brothers sponsered lemmings have their "fun."

Talk about the brain washed who dont get it!!!!!

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"brenthutch"]Kallend have you had a chance to review the peer reviewed study published in the International Journal of Modern Physics? Or is it invalidated because it was I who brought it to your attention?

FYI - It turns out Lu has been making different version of the same argument since 2001 and published largely similar papers in 2009 and 2010. He's unlikely to get much more attention from the academic and research community unless they feel compelled to respond to the way the climate change skeptics have latched on to this recent paper.

If you'd like to see his 2010 paper entitled "Cosmic-ray-driven electron-induced reactions of halogenated molecules adsorbed on ice surfaces: implications for atmospheric ozone depletion and global climate change" rebutted, see "Do cosmic-ray-driven electron-induced reactions impact stratospheric ozone depletion and global climate change?"

If you'd prefer to read more of his work, any of the following should do.

Lu, Q.B., 2009. Correlation between cosmic rays and ozone depletion. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 118501.

Lu, Q.B., 2010a. Cosmic-ray-driven electron-induced reactions of halogenated molecules adsorbed on ice surfaces: implications for atmospheric ozone depletion and global climate change. Phys. Rep. 487, 141e167.

Lu, Q.B., 2010b. What is the major culprit for global warming: CFCs or CO2? J. Cosmology 8, 1846e1862.

Lu, Q.B., Sanche, L., 2001a. Effects of cosmic rays on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbon dissociation and ozone depletion. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 078501.

Lu, Q.B., Sanche, L., 2002. Comment on “Effects of cosmic rays on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbon dissociation and ozone depletion” e reply. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 219802.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So your point is that he has been correct for the last decade or so. I agree with you. It did take several years for Einstein to be vindicated. In a few days NOAA will come out, and confirm that current global temps continue to remain flat. Invalidating all co2based AGW climate models.

brenthutch

So your point is that he has been correct for the last decade or so. I agree with you. It did take several years for Einstein to be vindicated. In a few days NOAA will come out, and confirm that current global temps continue to remain flat. Invalidating all co2based AGW climate models.

I take it you didn't bother to read the rebuttal I linked (hosted by university of waterloo, where Lu works), despite the fact that I've spent hours considering the paper you posted. If you're not willing to consider alternate positions in a debate, frankly, you should probably just quietly take your seat. That's how these things work. Alternately, you could just post the link in ALL CAPS while covering your ears. :D

Your guy is wrong. He uses only surface data, when in fact the globe is mostly water. He suggests that the forcings of CFCs are not well understood when we've been measuring them for decades (a fact he doesn't mention). He fails to explain the observed losses of reflected energy in the CO2 and methane absorptive wavelengths, and he relies on a sketchy correlation without any good explanation of causation. His findings have been strongly rebutted and rather than adjust them to quell criticism, he just keeps saying the same thing.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

[Reply]Your guy is wrong. He uses only surface data, when in fact the globe is mostly water.

There are plenty of measurements. Ground surface. Surface atmosphere. Sea temperature. Deep sea temperature. Upper troposphere (tropical/temperate/polar). Stratosphere. Which one is most important?

For AGW theory, upper troposphere is a biggie. The problem is there are, yes, discrepancies between GCM models and observations. Stephen Po-Chedley (U of W, Seattle - yes, I actually searched for someone you may know) and Qiang Fu (Lanzhou U, China) published a letter identifyung this issue last year (yes, a letter). They stated that they did not know whether the model/observational difference was the "result of common biases in GCMs, biases in observational datasets, or both."

I love questions like this. The upper troposphere warming is the smoking gun of AGW theory. What I've seen indicates that, yes, it's there. But the observations show it at a level below the predictions.

I note: this letter is limited to tropical upper troposphere warming where noise is far greater than at the poles (due to greater atmospheric water vapor). I think that upper tropospheric warming from AGW is best measured in winter in a place that's cold and over a land mass - like the taiga and tundra of Siberia. Or above Greenland (though is receives far more ocean influence). This in order to minimize the noise caused by water vapor (a powerful greenhouse gas).

Maybe you can ask Po-Chedley whether my interpretation is wrong.

And - which measurement do you think is most important?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

livendive

I've spent hours considering the paper you posted.

Lol, it's remarkable how seriously people take this troll.

If you're not willing to consider alternate positions in a debate

"If"? Seriously?

:S

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

brenthutch

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2013/5

38th coldest spring on record at .5 degrees below the 20th century average.

I realize it's hard for a Texan to comprehend, but the 48 contiguous states of the USA do not comprise the entire world.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2013/5

I realize it's hard for a Texan to comprehend, but the 48 contiguous states of the USA do not comprise the entire world.

I'm not sure what that means as I am not from nor have i ever lived in Texas. Rest assured, when the global temps are published next week I will be reminding you that GLOBAL temps remain well below what "climate scientists" predicted. I am guessing that they remain stubbornly flat.

kallend

***http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2013/5

The NCDC should quit putting this out. And start publishing it on the National Weather Service site. Or on www.noaa.gov/wx.html

If it isn't relevant, then don't put it out as relevant. I note that the site always has significant weather events as a big part of its monthly/seasonal reports.

lawrocket

Looks like Galena, Alaska is underwater right now because there's so much ice on the Yukon River that the ice dammed it up and is forming a lake behind it.

Hopefully it warms up soon.

Done

96F recorded in Talkeetna, coastal temps running 20+ degrees above normal. Weather is weather.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

***Looks like Galena, Alaska is underwater right now because there's so much ice on the Yukon River that the ice dammed it up and is forming a lake behind it.

Done

96F recorded in Talkeetna, coastal temps running 20+ degrees above normal. Weather is weather.

Blues,
Dave

So whats your point?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Looks like Galena, Alaska is underwater right now because there's so much ice on the Yukon River that the ice dammed it up and is forming a lake behind it.

Done

Blues,
Dave

So whats your point?

If you read what I quoted, lawrocket expressed hope that Alaska warmed up soon. I was simply relaying that it has.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Indeed. Almost hit the record of 100 degrees set in Yukon in 1915.

Yep. It's weather. We know it. Specifically a heat dome. Climate is the long-term trend. But a week ago when Baked Alaska was the headline, yes, I was reading about how "this is climate change and expect more of it."

I'm hoping we see more moderation of the discussion that moves away from the extremes of alarmists and deniers. Won't happen. Too many aer too vested.

I was speaking with some undergrads at MIT yesterday. The topic was "summer jobs." We all noticed a number of posters and flyers that were pasted and stapled to walls everywhere, litter'arly everywhere. Most universities have a policy that you need to register or at least be a student to post shit paper in the halls walls....

So without the "stamp" of approval you can tell when some "outside" agency or company has littered the walls with junk paper.

This mass posting of offers for "Summer Jobs for The Enviorment" was everywhere so the topic of disscussion was who and why were they doing this, and what can we do about it other than remove the offensive and against school policy postings?

So some of the students I spoke with decided to give the 1-800 number a call and see who and what was and is behind this.

Turns out that this work at home job consists of monitoring web sites: Blogs, forums, news stations, etc.. And then responding with: Moderate, middle of the road comments debunking global warming and other ecology minded responses. All for about 7 dollars an hour. Reminds me of religion and Judas?

Seems they install some sort of keystroke monitoring software and yo get paid for how much time yo spend cutting and pasteing "canned" responses to any "search" of topics that have the key words: Global Warming, etc.," in the phrase or similar.

Some job hu?

Seems also that the "supervisors" are trained to find individuals with a lot of time on there hands, need money, and are a bit of social outcasts....

Never mind the fact that they are also selected on thier personal views and knowledge level of issues pertaining to science. In other words lot's of buisness majors and liberal arts students are the ones that get these "desirable" jobs.

Go to any college or public place like "Harvard Square," and you will see these same ads stapled to telephone poles or posted on the walls outside popular hangouts!

Grass roots advertising, or companies with millions to spend any way they see fit? Please keep in mind that the average super bowel 20 seconds of time cost 2.5 million. That's $125,000.00 peer second!

So how much do big coal and the crotch brothers have to spend? How miuch is just one percent of their gross?

Can yo say that one percent of the conglomerated energy companies gross is over one trillion dollars?

You all need to start focusing on the cure to understand why the fat cats spend less than one percent to ensure their going to survive at the publics expense. Nothing new here, History is rife with explotation at the expense of the mindless and powerless... and gulliable....

All you have to do is count the number of posts on a subject to see who and what these Judas's are. Do a search for Global Warming, and respond only to those, move on to the next webb site...

How can some people post the amount they do, and in the same breath claim they have full time jobs?

Figure it out for yourself folks; paid advertising or public forum?

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."