brenthutch

The Nation continues to suffer under global warming's icy grip

>Neil Degrasse Tyson said it best: Scientists don't go back to the drawing board.
>They're always at the drawing board. It's the public who demands conclusive
>explanations.

They are getting conclusive explanations. What they are not getting are very accurate predictions - which scientists cannot provide.

If you smoke for 3 years will you die from lung cancer? 4 years? 10 years? When will a scientist just admit that he has NO IDEA if you will die, and thus the science on the risks of smoking is unsettled? Anyone who says "smoking is bad for you" is just an alarmist who is in Al Gore's pocket. <- (what much of the denier argument devolves to)

DanG

Are you willing to admit that both sides in the AGW debate practice the intellectual dishonest that you describe?

Yep. Both sides do it. Everybody does it. I do it. I try to check it, but I do it, too. Problem is, the discussion is being dominated (and has been) by intellectual dishonesty. Fortunately, guys like livendive and jackc and you and billvon will often put in some of the actual science into it. It simply means that the balance weighs in favor of intellectual honesty with you chaps.

This article is a shining example of all that is wrong with the climate policy debate.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This article is a shining example of all that is wrong with the climate policy debate.

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

[Reply]They are getting conclusive explanations.

Yes. They are getting lots of "conclusory" explanations. These keep changing because stuff isn't working.

[Reply]
What they are not getting are very accurate predictions - which scientists cannot provide.

There's a twofold problem. First is accurate predictions. In most science, a prediction is tested. If the results don't match then the experiment failed. It either worked or didn't.

The second issue is that climate policy is being based on predictions. The lay person might say, "billvon just said that they can't accurately predict.". I say, "we don't know whether we can accurately predict or not. We have to wait another 80 years until we see how the predictions panned out."

But the whole policy debate is based upon predictions. What's happening now? Compared to 40 years ago? It's warmer, yes, but we've managed, though not as warm as we thought it would be. How will it be 30 years from now? That's mid-range. Climate scientists will say that, no, that time period cannot be reliably predicted. So what about 100 years from now? Climate scientists say they got answers: always couched in qualified terms like "sea level may rise 3 meters by 2100."

We don't know the accuracy. We've got to wait. But ther appears to be some catching up to do.

[Reply]When will a scientist just admit that he has NO IDEA if you will die, and thus the science on the risks of smoking is unsettled? Anyone who says "smoking is bad for you" is just an alarmist who is in Al Gore's pocket. <- (what much of the denier argument devolves to)

Anyone who says "smoking is bad for you" is proselytizing. It's also using their own view of what is "good" or "bad." I've known someone who said, "I've had a rough day and a cigarette just let's me relax and clear my mind. It helps my spirit.". It's the same as saying, "beer is bad for you." Or "homosexual sex is bad."

So you've actually made another point. Perhaps when others quit telling people what is bad or good for them we'll reach a point where reasonable minds can differ. Until then, expect more conflict over side issues whilst ignoring the substance.

rehmwa

***7. Address the argument instead of attacking the person making the argument. Ad hominem arguments are a clear sign of intellectual dishonesty. However, often times, the dishonesty is more subtle. For example, someone might make a token effort at debunking an argument and then turn significant attention to the person making the argument, relying on stereotypes, guilt-by-association, and innocent-sounding gotcha questions. - BINGO. The whole argument rests on two points: (1) not debateable; and (2) look at who disagrees. The whole article is an attack on those who question. (These are now called threats to national security, by the way).

these are scientists

it would different if they were just posting in Speaker's Corner - then the tactic is normal

In Speaker's Corner, valid arguments and invalid rhetoric are compared as apples to apples. I respect the people who make valid arguments, even if I disagree with their conclusions. The other folks...meh, just noisy entertainment. It's highly unlikely that they or I will ever convince the other of anything because both of us stopped listening to each other long ago, albeit for different reasons.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

lawrocket

I say, "we don't know whether we can accurately predict or not. We have to wait another 80 years until we see how the predictions panned out."

Here's the rub...what are the implications of being wrong? If we prepare for global warming and try to mitigate it by reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and trying to live more sustainably, and the warming fails to materialize, what harm have we done? On the flip side of that coin, if we ignore it for 80 years and do as we please, and the climate scientists were right, well that's a cat you can't put back in the bag.

Reasonable accomodations leave us as prepared as we can be for any eventuality, and the cost of being wrong is measured purely in dollars. Obstinance, on the other hand, leaves us only prepared for one eventuality, and the risk of being wrong is not only far more dollars (preparation being cheaper than recovery) but many lives as well.

I'm a big proponent of robustness analysis, in skydiving, at work, and for life in general. My basic approach is "Keep as many options and feasible paths to success as possible." Ignoring the claims of an overwhelming majority of experts, with very little credible opposition, on the basis that long term predictions haven't been proven yet, seriously limits our future options.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Here's the rub...what are the implications of being wrong?

Some people won't make as much money as they would have otherwise. Some people will make more money than they would have otherwise. In a capitalist society that's a big stinking deal. And most businesses have, at most, a ten year horizon. Thus if they can make a billion dollars on a dirty industry over the next decade, that outweighs any consideration of what will happen in twenty years.

> On the flip side of that coin, if we ignore it for 80 years and do as we please,
>and the climate scientists were right, well that's a cat you can't put back in the
>bag.

Right. But to a 50 year old investor - why does he care?

[Reply]
"When it comes to the longer term picture, the authors say their work is consistent with previous estimates. The IPCC said that climate sensitivity was in the range of 2.0-4.5C. This latest research, including the decade of stalled temperature rises, produces a range of 0.9-5.0C."

Great to know that the new research means that doubling of CO2 concentration would produce a range of temperature increase from .9 degrees C to 5 degree C (1.6 to 9 degrees F).

Am I the only one who thinks that the new research adds uncertainty? Put another way, "well, we have managed to identify a temperatyre increase. If we double the CO2 in the atmosphere, we expect temperatures to be up to 9 degrees F warmer than now. Our previous estimate was only 7.2 degrees warmer, so that's a big deal. Bear in mind, however, that the warmth may only be 18% of that. So predicting it is kinda like planning for a wedding for anywhere between 16 people and and 90 people. Before our range would have been like 36 to 81 people. So the climate predictions are either far less warming or far more warming."

So the science, it seems, it muddier with this.

> So predicting it is kinda like planning for a wedding for anywhere between 16
> people and and 90 people.

Sorta, yes. You have your wedding planner saying it will be between 40 and 90; you have your future mother in law saying no, it will be between 16 and 90. Who's right? The number probably lies somewhere between those extremes.

However, the smart money on that point would be to plan for the wedding while waiting for the RSVP's, rather than deny there is a wedding at all.

livendive

In Speaker's Corner, valid arguments and invalid rhetoric are compared as apples to apples. I respect the people who make valid arguments, even if I disagree with their conclusions. The other folks...meh, just noisy entertainment. It's highly unlikely that they or I will ever convince the other of anything because both of us stopped listening to each other long ago, albeit for different reasons.

people try valid arguments, but then give up quickly with the attacks and background noise - I appreciate the attempts also

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

[Reply]Here's the rub...what are the implications of being wrong?
If we prepare for global warming and try to mitigate it by reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and trying to live more sustainably, and the warming fails to materialize, what harm have we done?

Depends on the measure of harm. Have we caused a massive worldwide economic depression by forcing elimination of fossil fuels, thus making energy less available and more expensive? Ever see what happens when the power goes out? Or when heating oil is unavailable?

There are numerous scenarios wherein elimination of fossil fuels without sufficiently available and inexpensive technologies cause lots and lots of deaths and human suffering. Take a look at the aftermath of Sandy - human misery results when energy cannot be easily obtained. This is something that, in my opinion, must be considered. I think the concerns are too easily dismissed.

Like it or not, our economy and our society runs on fossil fuels. Nuclear energy, at this point, is the only commercially viable alternative to fossil fuels but is politically unsatisfactory.

[Reply]On the flip side of that coin, if we ignore it for 80 years and do as we please, and the climate scientists were right, well that's a cat you can't put back in the bag.

Yes. But we also understand that we arengoing to wake up one day and see that the houses in Miami are now submerged.

What effects will we see? It'll probably be seen moer with agriculture than anything. And here's how acting like something is going to happen when we don't know can cause problems: Let's assume that we want to be prepared for climate change, so the Department of Agriculture decides that the lower midwest will be the new citrus belt and that the Nebraska and north will be where the hard red winter wheat seed will be allowed - that's where the climate is going so direct the resources there now so we'll be ready.

One can imagine the human cost of directing resources for "preparation." Crop failures are predicted with climate change, right? So what's the cost if it happens and we don't have a robust winter wheat industry in Minnesoat and Wisconsin? We can prevent that by establishing winter wheat crops there now.

No. We can't. We take a potential famine and mitigate it by creating an actual one.

Here's how I see it: the predicted problems facing the California wine industry provide opporunity for the Oregon wine industry. The predicted problems for the Florida citrus producers mean good news for Georgia Citrus, who are grateful since the stonefruit industry went up to the Carolinas.

It's how adjustments work. It'll be that way for just about everything. We invaded Iraq because there existed the chance that Hussein had WMD's. Imagine if he DID have them what he could have done with them! The price paid was worth it for national security. The justification turned out not to hold water. And the cost of it? There are plenty of them that just can't be measured.