toolbox

So al qaeda was crushed under Obama ?

billvon

>However, this is/was not the narrative from the Obama admin

Actually yes it is. Some quotes:

"Four years ago, I told you we’d end the war in Iraq, and I did. I said we’d end the war in Afghanistan, and we are. I said we’d refocus on the people who actually attacked us on 9/11—and today, al-Qaeda is on the run and Osama bin Laden is dead."

"On the run" - not "crushed."

"As one counterterrorism expert recently observed, because of our efforts al Qaeda and its allies have not only lost operational capacity, they've lost legitimacy and credibility. Of course, nobody does a better job of discrediting al Qaeda than al Qaeda itself, which has killed men and women and children of many faiths in many nations, and which has absolutely no positive future to offer the people of the world.

So even as we target al Qaeda and its bankrupt vision, we also know that we have to be vigilant in defending our people at home. And that takes aggressive intelligence collection and skillful analysis. And that demands the effective and efficient coordination between federal government and our state and local partners."

"Lost legitimacy and credibility" - not "crushed."

"And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act, and we will take them out. We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al-Qaida. That has to be our biggest national security priority.”

"Will crush" - not "crushed."

Too bad his campain rhetoric did not matching what was really going on
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Too bad his campain rhetoric did not matching what was really going on

Given that Al Qaeda is falling apart - it looks like it was pretty accurate. Will they be completely crushed by the time he leaves office? We'll see, but at this rate - it's not unlikely.

I wouldn't say al qaeda is falling apart,but rather they are evolving to become more difficult to recognize and thus harder to stop.
They no longer need the high profile leaders to orchestrate the attacks.
All they need are religious zealots who can be mentored and trained by small insignificant players in the world of islamic extremism.
Zealots get trained,zealots determine their own acts of terror.
The acts may or may not be as big as years gone by,but the acts could be more numerous with enough zealots running around.

IF you are going to answer my questions you may want to consider this first

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-claim-he-called-benghazi-an-act-of-terrorism/2013/05/13/7b65b83e-bc14-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_blog.html
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

*********>AQ is weaker and on the run

They are - but they are far from crushed.

Exactly

However, this is/was not the narrative from the Obama admin

Your statement would be credible if you provided a link to the narrative where Obama claimed AQ was "crushed".

First off
It took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing from the fact YOU are asking for something credible
:D

Next, what planet were on during the campaign???

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/10/17/obama-dropping-al-qaeda-run-stump-speech

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-touts-al-qaeda-s-demise-32-times-benghazi-attack-0

Remember, you need to put this in the correct time line

And how about those here?
Does this make any of you who spouted the video protest bs mad?

Especially DanG?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4378744;search_string=bengazi%20protest%20video;#4378744

So you can't find one.

Thought not.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think every administration has lied to us. If nothing else, in the matter of national security, it's their job. I think every administration has interpreted the data in an attempt to make themselves look good, or support their actions -- this involves ignoring some of the data, and emphasizing other parts of it.

Personally, I think Benghazi smacks too much of election-year politics -- i.e. that the administration spent too much time spinning the information, rather than just letting it say what it says. I think "IRS-gate" sounds like something "the administration" (which really doesn't extend to the Cleveland IRS office) had nothing to do with. I hate the current request for AP records.

On the AP records, it could be that in other years they'd just go get them and no one would ever hear about it, or it could be that we're entering new territory in terms of what's available, or a combination of the two.

In general, I'd like the data to lead to decisions, rather than the other way around.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I think every administration has lied to us. If nothing else, in the matter of national security, it's their job. I think every administration has interpreted the data in an attempt to make themselves look good, or support their actions -- this involves ignoring some of the data, and emphasizing other parts of it.

Personally, I think Benghazi smacks too much of election-year politics -- i.e. that the administration spent too much time spinning the information, rather than just letting it say what it says. I think "IRS-gate" sounds like something "the administration" (which really doesn't extend to the Cleveland IRS office) had nothing to do with. I hate the current request for AP records.

On the AP records, it could be that in other years they'd just go get them and no one would ever hear about it, or it could be that we're entering new territory in terms of what's available, or a combination of the two.

In general, I'd like the data to lead to decisions, rather than the other way around.

Wendy P.

Wendy

You know very well the question is about one topic
Benghazi

Do you care to answer directly?
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Wendy

You know very well the question is about one topic
Benghazi

Do you care to answer directly?

You won't, why should she?

:D

I have more than once
You just dont like the answer

So

I think this president lied about what was going on in Benghazi because it did not fit his campain speeches at the time
I think he did and still is actively trying to cover this fact up

The info coming out seems to back this opinion up and directly counters your position identified in the link provided earlier
Abraham Lincoln

Personally, I think Benghazi smacks too much of election-year politics -- i.e. that the administration spent too much time spinning the information, rather than just letting it say what it says.

That's what I think about Benghazi. It's not a good thing to think.

But it was in there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Personally, I think Benghazi smacks too much of election-year politics -- i.e. that the administration spent too much time spinning the information, rather than just letting it say what it says.

That's what I think about Benghazi. It's not a good thing to think.

But it was in there.

Wendy P.

Missed it
Sorry Wendy

I think the same or worse
Abraham Lincoln

Did you think the same thing about the Bush administration? If not, then the opinions are relative to who's in power, rather than to the actions.

Wendy P.

I think this president lied about what was going on in Benghazi because it did not fit his campain speeches at the time
I think he did and still is actively trying to cover this fact up

Wow, we're making some progress. So let me ask you what it was you think he lied about. Is it just about the source of the violence (the video) or did he also lie about the lack of military response? Do you believe Obama wanted Chris Stevens dead because he had information on illegal weapons deals? Do you think Obama redfused to send in reinforcements that were at the ready? If so, why?

I agree that the attack was not related to the videotape, but I'm not sure about the timeline of who knew what and when. I don't think it was irrational for the Administration to believe the videotape was related, since there were numerous protests in other cites at the same time regarding that stupid video. You can't dispute that, it's well documented. They clearly made an initial error in linking the attack in Benghazi with simultaneous protests in other cities. That was an intel failure, not a lie. Where they may have cocked it up good is sticking with that story even after they knew better. That's what I think is the only legitimate aspect of this scandal. What I don't know right now is what the actual timeline was, and what the reason for sticking with the video story was. You don't know those things either, they have yet to come out. Your position that Obama lied about the source of the attack to help his campaign makes no sense to me. I just can't imagine any President as politically saavy as Obama would not find a better way to spin the atack than blaming it on a stupid internet video. Maybe you're right, but it doesn't seem logical.

The biggest difference between me and you over this is that you are all tingly-legged over it because it harms Obama. I'm still waiting for more information before I jump to conclusions like you are so ready to do.

- Dan G

wmw999

Did you think the same thing about the Bush administration? If not, then the opinions are relative to who's in power, rather than to the actions.

Wendy P.

As you noted, geneally I agree that all admins fudge the truth

But, can you give me a specific one to comment on?
Abraham Lincoln

Within hours (if not before the attack) it has become clear the admin knew this was a terror attack. He lied about that and this is fast becoming none arguable

To your other questions? I dont know. But at this point we have a right to know and hence the cover up

I am not tingle legged over this
Any president in a situation like this hurts us all
And you did jump to conclusion
Look at your post to me in the link provided earlier

In the end, I agree with a point kind of burried in your post. Something as of yet, does not make sense. Too many why's as to what is still going on

There in seems to be where the real story is
and I have no idea what that may be
Abraham Lincoln

One more question that I find interesting
When Benghazi was happening, where was the President?
What was he doing?
We know he was briefed when it started and then nothing untill then next day

And please, dont tell me that question is irelavant. Remember how important that same question was when 911 happened
and while this is not as big, it is still a big deal
Abraham Lincoln

And please, dont tell me that question is irelavant. Remember how important that same question was when 911 happened

It is irrelevant. And no, I don't remember how important that was on 9-11. We know exactly where Bush was when 9-11 happened. The only person who made a big deal about it was Michael Moore, who is a buffoon.

- Dan G

rushmc

***Did you think the same thing about the Bush administration? If not, then the opinions are relative to who's in power, rather than to the actions.

Wendy P.

As you noted, geneally I agree that all admins fudge the truth

But, can you give me a specific one to comment on?

You could start with Colin Powell's address to the UN.

Then you could try Nixon's " "There are no American combat troops in Cambodia. There are no American combat advisers in Cambodia" speech
Or Eisenhower's denial that U2s were overflying the USSR.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.