mistercwood

Unsurprising - Ridiculous proposals by politicians not unique to America

"considering the shootings in my area"? I thought the Australian government collected all your guns. Is the author of this article admitting that gun control does not work? The American liberal left should read this new development.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

"considering the shootings in my area"? I thought the Australian government collected all your guns. Is the author of this article admitting that gun control does not work? The American liberal left should read this new development.

Not all of them. That's the bit a lot of people seem to have trouble with - gun control =/= gun ban. Still perfectly legal for me to own a handgun (revolver or semi-auto), shotgun or bolt-action rifle. Just more paperwork and stringent storage conditions than you guys. GC is not capable of reducing all gun crime to zero. However, after our measures went into place, violent crime went down, and mass shootings have occurred exactly zero times since. So GC can and does work, for us. YMMV. :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

We have the laws in place, but we lack any concrete enforcement of these laws already on the books. People continue to falsify applications to buy guns, and there are no arrests. Not all people making death threats against a spouse or anyone are totally disamed as required by local or federal law........there's a whoe laundry list. Bottome line, there will still be shootings (like in Australia), and possibly more mass shootings until our current laws are enforced including keeping guns away from the mentally incompetent.

However, after our measures went into place, violent crime went down

The numbers I see in studies (based on numbers from the Australian bureau of statistics) say your violent crime skyrocketed. Not the ones your government fed to you. I don't know what those say.

The homicide rates dropped almost as much in the US between 1995 and 2007 as they did in AU. 31.7% vs 31.9% Good thing you had that stringent gun control (with outright bans of certain types of weapons). And while we in the US with our crazy lack of gun control experienced a 31.8% drop in violent crime at that time, down under your countrymen were weathering a 42.2% increase in violent crime.

so was the winking tongue out smiley a "trust me... don't look up the numbers" or a "ha ha!! I believe what our media told me. you stupid 'merkins and your guns" ??
--
Rob

GUN OWNERS

According to the left wing zealots we have in politics.......

We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".

But the acts of a few American “crazies” is enough to judge all Americans who own guns

However, after our measures went into place, violent crime went down

The numbers I see in studies (based on numbers from the Australian bureau of statistics) say your violent crime skyrocketed. Not the ones your government fed to you. I don't know what those say.

The homicide rates dropped almost as much in the US between 1995 and 2007 as they did in AU. 31.7% vs 31.9% Good thing you had that stringent gun control (with outright bans of certain types of weapons). And while we in the US with our crazy lack of gun control experienced a 31.8% drop in violent crime at that time, down under your countrymen were weathering a 42.2% increase in violent crime.

so was the winking tongue out smiley a "trust me... don't look up the numbers" or a "ha ha!! I believe what our media told me. you stupid 'merkins and your guns" ??

So, I'm a liar, or I'm a moron? Nice one. Actually it turns out I was mistaken. It was homicides that went down. My bad. I'll save you some time, though - there are multiple studies that have looked at whether the new measures were related. Some say yes, some say no, there's no consensus (either way). So I guess we can ignore that part. We still haven't had any mass shootings though, that one's not up for debate. I'd expect cultural differences would be a large factor there, I'll grant.

Incidentally, it's a shame this thread went straight to guns. I thought it would've been more fun to poke fun at the idea of a tattoo registry... [:/]
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

So, I'm a liar, or I'm a moron? Nice one. Actually it turns out I was mistaken. It was homicides that went down. My bad. I'll save you some time, though - there are multiple studies that have looked at whether the new measures were related. Some say yes, some say no, there's no consensus (either way).

yup... they were trending down already, so there's no telling the impact it had on homicides. But your firearm suicides did go down sharply.

So I guess we can ignore that part. We still haven't had any mass shootings though, that one's not up for debate. I'd expect cultural differences would be a large factor there, I'll grant.

yup... I've always said, we don't have a gun problem, we have a violent crime problem. I expect cultural differences play the biggest part in that.

Incidentally, it's a shame this thread went straight to guns. I thought it would've been more fun to poke fun at the idea of a tattoo registry... [:/]

And yes, a tattoo registry is rather absurd. I see their point, trying to identify a small segment of people who are using the tattoo shops as a money laundering front, but it treats all of them as criminals. Even for the Maori who live there and have a well established tradition of tribal/religious applications for tattoos. (granted though that's not a large population segment in AU)

Though a listing of tramp stamps might make the nights at the bar go a little quicker :)
--
Rob

Looks like we do have some cultural similarities after all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia) This little piece of information explains why we saw all those pistols, rifles, and shotguns being cut up in Australia for the actions of one wild and crazy guy.

I spent one Christmas on R+R with an Australian family. I came back two times later; one month at a time. I loved the place, and most of the people I knew had firearms readily available. One friend packed when around his business. I never heard of any shootings like the one mentioned in the tattoo article up on the Gold Coast (doesn't mean they never happened). I stayed in Surfers Paradise, and never worried about my safety. Looks like times have changed. Maybe not in Australia, but here in the states 35 dead people/23 wounded would be called a mass shooting. I'm not going to bother looking up the stastics, but the NRA uses Australia as a prime example of what happens when a country is disarmed: a massive increase in crime because there's a pretty good chance most law abiding citizens have given up their guns.

I'm not going to bother looking up the stastics, but the NRA uses Australia as a prime example of what happens when a country is disarmed: a massive increase in crime because there's a pretty good chance most law abiding citizens have given up their guns.

And this is exactly why the NRA is so full of shit. Firstly, what applies in Australia does not apply in the US. There was never a constitutional right to own guns, there was always a level of control. The buyback program only targeted a small subset of the weapons that people owned, and the rate of gun crime has gone down if you look at the trends.

But then, the NRA were never terribly good at letting facts play any part in their discussions.
Maybe you should ACTUALLY look at the statistics rather than going on anecdotal evidence hmmm?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm not going to bother looking up the stastics, but the NRA uses Australia as a prime example of what happens when a country is disarmed: a massive increase in crime because there's a pretty good chance most law abiding citizens have given up their guns.

And this is exactly why the NRA is so full of shit. Firstly, what applies in Australia does not apply in the US. There was never a constitutional right to own guns, there was always a level of control. The buyback program only targeted a small subset of the weapons that people owned, and the rate of gun crime has gone down if you look at the trends.

But then, the NRA were never terribly good at letting facts play any part in their discussions.
Maybe you should ACTUALLY look at the statistics rather than going on anecdotal evidence hmmm?

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847 I think you can say that gun confiscation had no impact on violent crime. In fact, it went up. I would hope mass shootings never happen again there, but there is no guarantee. What amazes me is that thousands of shotguns were not exempt, or did the government just scare everyone? They try that in the US too, but most know when to call it BS. You see, most Americans believe their government represents them. In real life, we have no government leaders. We have representatives. They have to be reminded, but that's what they are. Statistics?

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847 I think you can say that gun confiscation had no impact on violent crime. In fact, it went up. I would hope mass shootings never happen again there, but there is no guarantee. What amazes me is that thousands of shotguns were not exempt, or did the government just scare everyone? They try that in the US too, but most know when to call it BS. You see, most Americans believe their government represents them. In real life, we have no government leaders. We have representatives. They have to be reminded, but that's what they are. Statistics?

Please re-read my post, you clearly didn't understand it.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Might want to read this before using Australia as an example...
http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

The UK has a ban on certain types of firearms and control on all including shotguns yet since 2007 figures for all crime have been coming down.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/14/crime-statistics-england-wales

Just after the 'ban' a year on crime figures were up. So did the 'ban' and gun control cause the surge? Nope.
Is the ban responsible for a reduction in crime year on year for the past five years? Nope.

The truth is that in the UK we've had gun control for over 100 years and today there are approximatly 2.8 million guns legalty held in the UK. Having the ban or not having the ban made no difference at all to the crime figures or the street culture of violence and use of guns. The only people it affected were the law abiding sportsmen and women. As in the UK firearms have to be kept locked in a safe when not in use it really wasn't and isn't a consideration for criminals when deciding to commit a crime or not, and that hasn't changed before or after the ban. On top of which even people who owned firearms legally in the UK prior to the ban were not allowed to conceal carry like in the US. Result? Bugger all impact on crime either way.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

There was a distinct difference between the London Riots and the Watts riots in LA. In LA, the Korean store owners stood visibly with shotguns, and while things burned around them, their stores were untouched. "Snopes?"; not unless you subscribe to Karl Marx comic books.

There was a distinct difference between the London Riots and the Watts riots in LA. In LA, the Korean store owners stood visibly with shotguns, and while things burned around them, their stores were untouched.

Very true, in London the Turks, Kurds and others did the same thing with no guns at all. Guess the Koreans in LA are pussies. :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/london-riots-fighting-neighbourhoods
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

If you only saw the ROK Army operating in Vietnam, you wouldn't say that. They were not exactly pussies. Ok, nobody wants to fuck with Turks and Kurds, and some of the shop owners resorted to bats? Thats like bayonet fighting. I would rather carry an extra magazine, and not get my hands dirty, but you have to do with what you have available. I bet potatoe guns are illegal in the UK.:)

We also deport people who can't spell "potato."

It was a brain fart. Deported? When my visa for Australia was about to expire, I called up the "passport" people, and they told me not to worry; I was still good to stay. Wonder if they are still that laid back today. At one point, the Aussie "FAA" was going to let me ferry a helicopter in country with my Bermuda or American license, but I ran out of time (had to go back to work). I doubt if that would happen here.

If you only saw the ROK Army operating in Vietnam, you wouldn't say that. They were not exactly pussies.

They don't like anyone who isn't Korean, and they don't like each other all that much, either. They're hardheaded, hard-drinking, tough little bastards, "the Irish of Asia".

-- author P. J. O'Rourke, talking about Koreans, after visiting South Korea

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If you only saw the ROK Army operating in Vietnam, you wouldn't say that. They were not exactly pussies.

They don't like anyone who isn't Korean, and they don't like each other all that much, either. They're hardheaded, hard-drinking, tough little bastards, "the Irish of Asia".

That they are, and there's nothing like the smell of kimchi in the morning.

That they are, and there's nothing like the smell of kimchi in the morning.

So you,be slept with Korean women, I see. :ph34r: