CornishChris

A foreign view of America

As an Englishman I hate it when people criticise my country. Sure there are things wrong with this place: too many immigrants on welfare, to many non-immigrants on welfare, the weather etc. but there are also lots of positives.

America has many many positives. I know people from the UK who have emigrated (thus increasing the average IQ of both countries ;)) and made great lives for themselves and I really do think, from an outsiders perspective, that the American dream is achievable for hard working people.

We also see the US from a different perspective as we are outside. I know we have lots of gun rows on here and that many non-US citizens cannot understand the obsession with guns but I thought the below article had an interesting angle. I don't normally like The Guardian as it is left of my own views but this sums it up quite well for me. I'm in no way trying to be anti-American but giving an outside opinion on what we see happening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombs-us-gun-law

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Thanks, that was interesting. Of course, I am the queen of "different viewpoints required." :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Typicalill informed foreigner who does not understand the gun debate. Why people have such a hard time with the concept that passing more gun laws will some how cause criminals to comply with them is beyond me.

Yup. So many more mass killings here since our GC measures. Like. More than zero. Wait, what? Oh, okay, forget that. Gun crime totally stayed the same, though. No drop at all. Yes sir. What's that? Oh come on... :D
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Non-starter. You're only criminal once you don't comply with a law. If a law is in place that causes you to hesitate and ultimately not risk being prosecuted for breaking said law, you don't end up being a criminal. It's a shitty argument (in the manner it's trotted out), its always been a shitty argument, and I'm tired of it.

Forget the strawman. I alluded to facts as they've pertained to my country. Now I'll specify those facts: more than a dozen mass shootings in the 18 years prior to our GC measures. Zero in the 16 years since. ZERO. Gun crime in Australia went down. Your results may vary, but quit with the bullshit of "laws won't do anything".... They can, they do, they have. :|

You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Very nice Article form an outside perspective.

I have been to the US often since my brother lives in California and I try to keep updated on current affairs in the US. It's often more entertaining than what happens in Germany.

After following the developments and discussions in the US I have come to one conclusion.

The US has systematically taken common sense out of every aspect of life.

Be it the judiciary system, food, politics the reaction to violence. It doesn't really matter.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c82_1357146088

So we can put you down as another foreigner who simply doesn't understand the issue? Have you met Jakee?

*sigh* I'm Australian, not English. Other side of the world, yeah? UK stats do fuck all to dispute ours. I watched the video you've linked, even after the (roughly) 4 minute mark where he created a false equivalency: "violent crime" =/= "gun crime".

Also - and I'm not sure how much stock you'll put in this - I'm half-American actually. Plenty of family and friends back there, so I've got skin in the game as it happens. Not just another foreigner, from my perspective.

Sorry, I can't keep track of where everyone is from.

It's right there. Like... a couple inches to the left.

I have an actual company to run and can't spend countless hours at my employers expense posting here.

I took a redundancy payout a while back, still enjoying it myself.

Glad you liked the video.

Sure, if by "liked" you mean "pointed out how it had sweet fuck all to do with the facts I brought up", absolutely! ;)

I have been to the US often since my brother lives in California and I try to keep updated on current affairs in the US. It's often more entertaining than what happens in Germany.

After following the developments and discussions in the US I have come to one conclusion.

Be it the judiciary system, food, politics the reaction to violence. It doesn't really matter.

Sorry, I missed this post. Hammer? Meet the head of the nail. ;)

Whilst watching the coverage, all I could think of is let the guys go and find them later. You know who they are, why risk shootouts (manhunt in LA comes to mind about what happens with eager armed cops looking for someone..).

It's a bombing that killed 4 people, a heinous crime but in context - which the article tries to do - it's no more than day to day life in the US in terms of murder.

says it all really on how the rest of the world viewed it. - mistercwood beat me to the punch on this one.

As I have explained before, I have to post while driving to meetings from my IPhone. In fact right now, I'm on my way to meet with my Lawyer. He's a real Lawyer, you know, the kind who doesn't have a gray ponytail.

One of these days you're gonna have an accident with all that posting you do while driving.
And my wife complains that my haircut makes me look like I'm in the military. That said, one of the finest trial attorneys I've ever watched in a courtroom has a ponytail.

Typicalill informed foreigner who does not understand the gun debate. Why people have such a hard time with the concept that passing more gun laws will some how cause criminals to comply with them is beyond me.

Yup. So many more mass killings here since our GC measures. Like. More than zero. Wait, what? Oh, okay, forget that. Gun crime totally stayed the same, though. No drop at all. Yes sir. What's that? Oh come on... :D

yup, and everyone including all your farmer's was and still is really happy to watch the video of the guns being destroyed... And home invasion robberies haven't gone up either.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

the article is certainly biased. As far as 90% of americans being in favor of increased background checks, that may be true, but those 90% of americans want common-sense laws that work. The bill that was just defeated wasn't that. Even the ACLU were against it, and mister cwood says they're a good indication of what should or shouldn't be...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Sales in PVC pipe just over a metre long plus a whole lot of end caps went up prior to the buyback scheme finishing. Bit different to people threatening to shoot any LEOs that showed up at the door.

I haven't seen stats regarding home invasions, so I couldn't comment. I did, however, get mugged a few years ago. I'd had a few drinks, so when I (as best I recall) told him to go fuck himself when he requested my possessions, I'm glad he didn't have an easily purchasable firearm to respond with. A telescopic baton and his two mates did not make for a pleasant encounter, but hey, they didn't make holes in me, right?

the article is certainly biased. As far as 90% of americans being in favor of increased background checks, that may be true, but those 90% of americans want common-sense laws that work. The bill that was just defeated wasn't that. Even the ACLU were against it, and mister cwood says they're a good indication of what should or shouldn't be...

Its Chris, if that helps... ;) The more I see of existing legislation in the US, the more I'm convinced it needs an overhaul from the ground up. This is the only way to have a shot at bipartisan "common-sense" laws that actually work. And I stand by the ACLU thing, they represent my views more often than not when I forget to take emotion out of the equation... :P

nice article, it's a refreshing view on how other see us. but is it realistic? i think not. there are already background checks in place when you buy guns. and the limits on high capacity magazines did nothing to reduce any sort of gun violence, duh, like it could do anything. i think that common sense regulations are in order, to own a gun you should be trained in gun safety, this could be waived by producing a dd214 to prove military service, or something to prove ex-law enforcement. should be good for life. and there should be a national background check card available, for purchases from individuals and on the internet. should also be good for life, there should be a system in place like they already have, where you call in to check the number, and if the card is a forgery or a disqualifying conviction has invalidated it, the sale cannot proceed. you could get a confirmation number and put in on the receipt.

not gonna happen though. too much money opposing it. i support common sense regulation, not infringement, of guns. as long as it's not stupid, which most proposed legislation is.
http://kitswv.com

Sorry, I missed this post. Hammer? Meet the head of the nail. ;)

+1

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.