quade

Would you tip off the FBI?

It’s a personal decision that you will make and live with the consequences. Too many factors for there to be a general rule other then the obvious (when you are 99% sure, there is no 100% until you hear boom).
So depends on how well you know the person also on what your state of mind is as perspective is huge. One should always be aware of their own bias.
Would I call all depends on all those factors also on my own beliefs. People in Boston yea I do not want to see innocent people get fucked up, however a few executives with oceans of blood on their hands fuck I might cheer for the dude who fucks them up and buy him a beer
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Every cop I know hates the idea, and wouldn't want the assignment. Even the CITs and MHOs.

Well, I didn't want to go all Godwin on it, but, um...yeah.

Sometimes it is appropriate. If we don't learn the lessons of history, shame on us.

I'm watching CNN right now and there is a discussion going on about how Russia supposedly tipped off the FBI a couple of years ago about the potential that the older brother had visited and they suspected he was becoming a radicalized individual. Whether this is true or not, I do not know.

But it got me to thinking about several people I know who have said things on social media and in a couple of instances I know for an absolute fact they are skilled enough to perform acts such as those performed over the last week. In fact, I have no doubt in my mind they are capable of doing a much, much better job. My guess is every skydiver who has been around for very long knows people like this.

On this forum we've frequently talked about friends and families of radical terrorists and loonies not coming forward before events get out of hand.

So . . . what is the tipping point? When do you make the call to the FBI about a friend you think might actually be going over the edge? OR . . . because he's a buddy . . . do you just cut him slack and hope he never does?

One of the problems that comes with using civilians as the eyes and ears of the powers that be was demonstrated by Operation Phoenix during the Southeast Asian War Games.

It seems someone had the bright idea of paying villagers to finger VietCong, after which Special Ops types would sneak in in the middle of the night and neutralize them.

When all was said and done, it turns out that people correctly determined that ratting out insurgents was not a very good career move, but that other scores could be settled handily by using the snake eaters to do the dirty work.

Competition for a love interest? Gee, I think he spent time in Hanoi for training.

A neighbor is making life difficult, competing for limited business? He probably is the guy who has been rigging booby traps in the area.

And so forth.

Most of the people I know who have the skillset to pose a threat if they were so inclined are the most trustworthy people you would ever want to meet. Like Martial Arts Masters, they are as skilled at avoiding trouble as they are at ending it if it starts.

If I knew someone who was, for real, seeking to cause mayhem, I could make a call to someone who would be able to address the threat without having to wade through a mass of uninformed reports. Luckily enough, I do not spend time around the kind of people that make that scenario a likelihood.

BSBD,

Winsor

Every cop I know hates the idea, and wouldn't want the assignment. Even the CITs and MHOs.

Honestly I don't know what you mean. Do you know about the CIT program, or MHos in general? What am I missing that could Godwin this?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Honestly I don't know what you mean. Do you know about the CIT program, or MHos in general? What am I missing that could Godwin this?

The fact Hitler (there I said it) encouraged people to turn in their neighbors. He encouraged children to turn in their parents.

Yes. Let's all fight terrorism, but let's also be mindful of what sometimes happens when people get carried away in jingoism.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

let's also be mindful of what sometimes happens when people get carried away in jingoism.

sales go up?
the economy gets stimulated?
people hum more on the bus?

"Bryl Creem, a little dab'll do ya"
"Never paint your house again....Dy No Shield"
"RED ROBIN.... yummmmmm"
"I wish I was and Oscar Meyer Weiner" vs "Hot Dogs, Armour Hot Dogs, the kind....kids....love...to....bite"
"Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

let's also be mindful of what sometimes happens when people get carried away in jingoism.

sales go up?
the economy gets stimulated?
people hum more on the bus?

"Bryl Creem, a little dab'll do ya"
"Never paint your house again....Dy No Shield"
"RED ROBIN.... yummmmmm"
"I wish I was and Oscar Meyer Weiner" vs "Hot Dogs, Armour Hot Dogs, the kind....kids....love...to....bite"
"Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat"

More like "Deutschland uber alles".

Ah, gotcha. Thought you were saying you'd Godwin my argument, not the initial proposition. Now I see where you're coming from. And yes.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Hi Paul,

The fact Hitler (there I said it) encouraged people to turn in their neighbors. He encouraged children to turn in their parents.

Yes. Let's all fight terrorism, but let's also be mindful of what sometimes happens when people get carried away in jingoism.

I also do believe that this was SOP in the Soviet Union and her satellite countries.

:S

JerryBaumchen