RMK

The Science of Stupidity

[Reply]Don't be a dick, it doesn't suit you.

I'm a 7th degree black belt in dickjitsu.

I do think that ego has a bigger role than intelligence, though. It's the sense I get from interactions every day. Sometimes - actually quite often - it's the intelligent people who won't be open to new information. Ever hear things about "I won't pay attention to your points because you ______." How about ad hominem attacks? Happens a lot. Does not address the point.

Ever come across an arrogant ass? Besides me? They aren't necessarily stupid or ignorant. It's just my thoughts...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm a 7th degree black belt in dickjitsu

I am so gonna steal that :D

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ever come across an arrogant ass? Besides me? They aren't necessarily stupid or ignorant.

I get the feeling you're determined to keep framing the discussion in these terms, and they're not the same terms as the OP or referenced article. So if we're not going to be talking about the same thing, I'm not going to bother.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Here's what I see:
Issue: lots of people don't change their minds
Thesis: it's because they have lower intelligence
Observations: I see people who won't agree with me. I'm smart. They are dumb.
Conclusion: only idiots disagree

It's how the whole initial article is framed, from my reading. Hence, the reason why I decided that "ego" is a mighty fine explanation.

I've got an ego. I know it. I try to temper that because I try to gather info to make up my mind.

One thing that you can do is not Socratize. You're asking some short but broad questions. What is your thesis on it?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Issue: lots of people don't change their minds
Thesis: it's because they have lower intelligence
Observations: I see people who won't agree with me. I'm smart. They are dumb.
Conclusion: only idiots disagree

It's how the whole initial article is framed, from my reading.

Are you talking about this article? If you are, I disagree completely, your reading is absolutely wrong. In fairness though (now that I've looked at it properly), so was mine. In terms of rationality fails, I'll call that a draw.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?