quade

On the plus side, he only killed himself.

Orlando, Florida (CNN) -- A former University of Central Florida student found dead in his dorm room of an apparent suicide, alongside weapons and a backpack of bombs, planned a larger attack, officials said Monday.

Source;
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/18/us/florida-ucf-body-found/index.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Seevakumaran developed an outline for the attack...

...It all started around 12:20 a.m., when a fire alarm went off at the Tower 1 dormitory. Beary told CNN that Seevakumaran pulled the fire alarm, perhaps to draw many people out into the open.

Police believe that Seevakumaran then went to his room to pick up the weapons. There, he encountered one of his roommates, who told police that Seevakumaran pointed a weapon at him. The roommate ran into a bathroom and called 911.

Officers arrived within minutes to rescue the roommate. They found Seevakumaran's body in his bedroom.

Sounds like he had some problems, gave up on himself, built up a target of blame in his head, made some plans, bought some weapons, built some bombs, pulled a fire alarm to start things off, and then the gravity of what he had set out to do hit him when he found himself pointing a gun at someone. Sad story... Glad to hear that no one else was injured.

Orlando, Florida (CNN) -- A former University of Central Florida student found dead in his dorm room of an apparent suicide, alongside weapons and a backpack of bombs, planned a larger attack, officials said Monday.

Source;

The tone of your thread title implies you think some non-existent law could prevent this.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Source;

The tone of your thread title implies you think some non-existent law could prevent this.

The tone of your reply implies that you think you're Claire Voyant. How do you dress on Saturday nights? ;)

Seevakumaran developed an outline for the attack...

...It all started around 12:20 a.m., when a fire alarm went off at the Tower 1 dormitory. Beary told CNN that Seevakumaran pulled the fire alarm, perhaps to draw many people out into the open.

Police believe that Seevakumaran then went to his room to pick up the weapons. There, he encountered one of his roommates, who told police that Seevakumaran pointed a weapon at him. The roommate ran into a bathroom and called 911.

Officers arrived within minutes to rescue the roommate. They found Seevakumaran's body in his bedroom.

Sounds like he had some problems, gave up on himself, built up a target of blame in his head, made some plans, bought some weapons, built some bombs, pulled a fire alarm to start things off, and then the gravity of what he had set out to do hit him when he found himself pointing a gun at someone. Sad story... Glad to hear that no one else was injured.

don't really get it. He knows that once he pulled the fire alarm, fire and police would start to arrive any second, right>? So what difference really does the 911 call make? He was in a room with view outside, he would still have some targets... Sounds like he decided he couldn't shoot people after all when push came to shove.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>The tone of your thread title implies you think some non-existent law could prevent this.

I know! Clearly laws wouldn't have helped.

If only he could have gotten more guns, this could have been prevented. I blame Obama's confiscation of guns.

He knows that once he pulled the fire alarm, fire and police would start to arrive any second, right>? So what difference really does the 911 call make?

He knew at that point that good guys with guns would be coming to kill him to prevent his planned massacre.

The only thing that bad guys with guns fear is good guys with guns.

Hooah!

don't really get it. He knows that once he pulled the fire alarm, fire and police would start to arrive any second, right>? So what difference really does the 911 call make? He was in a room with view outside, he would still have some targets... Sounds like he decided he couldn't shoot people after all when push came to shove.

Well that, and the way the story read to me he had an opportunity to shoot the roommate ("pointed a weapon at him") before he made the 911 call. That doesn't sound like someone who was going to walk around shooting anyone who moved but for the police getting there more quickly than he expected. But knowing how wrong media reports are anything could have actually happened. For all we actually know the roommate pointed the gun at him.

The tone of your reply implies that you think you're Claire Voyant.

He could have written this differently, such as "Shall I infer from your thread title that you think... ?" but quade's choice of words fishes for the question, "Okay, so what was the minus side..." and quade has been very outspoken about people that an average person might label "insane" having access to weapons.

But, putting words in quade's mouth or not, this does make for an interesting case study in the discussion a little while ago. Quade said that "normal people" (aka "not insane people") don't go on shooting sprees, and asserted that there existed experts that could make a determination and prevent such a person from buying firearms.

Ah, but here we have someone who did everything except actually go on the shooting spree. So I would ask quade if he would consider this person to have been "insane", and would he have expected his hypothetical "insanity" screen to have prevented him from purchasing firearms?

He knows that once he pulled the fire alarm, fire and police would start to arrive any second, right>? So what difference really does the 911 call make?

He knew at that point that good guys with guns would be coming to kill him to prevent his planned massacre.

The only thing that bad guys with guns fear is good guys with guns.

Hooah!

well, I tend to agree with your closing statement, but again, fire and police would be on the way from the fire alarm anyways, and people would be going out into the open already, and police would have needed a bit of time to determine where he was = even in a few minutes if he'd wanted I think he could have gotten a few people before anyone got to him or even cleared the area.

Unless he didn't actually want to kill civilians, only police, and knowing that they were warned he figured the game was up.

Killer with a conscience?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Well that, and the way the story read to me he had an opportunity to shoot the roommate ("pointed a weapon at him") before he made the 911 call. That doesn't sound like someone who was going to walk around shooting anyone who moved but for the police getting there more quickly than he expected. But knowing how wrong media reports are anything could have actually happened. For all we actually know the roommate pointed the gun at him.

The tone of your reply implies that you think you're Claire Voyant.

He could have written this differently, such as "Shall I infer from your thread title that you think... ?" but quade's choice of words fishes for the question, "Okay, so what was the minus side..." and quade has been very outspoken about people that an average person might label "insane" having access to weapons.

But, putting words in quade's mouth or not, this does make for an interesting case study in the discussion a little while ago. Quade said that "normal people" (aka "not insane people") don't go on shooting sprees, and asserted that there existed experts that could make a determination and prevent such a person from buying firearms.

Ah, but here we have someone who did everything except actually go on the shooting spree. So I would ask quade if he would consider this person to have been "insane", and would he have expected his hypothetical "insanity" screen to have prevented him from purchasing firearms?

I found it sort of weird that on the news last night was someone holding up a picture of an 'assault weapon'(for most of the segment on the incident), as in, 'this is the gun he could have used to kill people, if he'd killed anyone, but he didn't, but he could of, if he'd wanted to, we think, you know...'

I found it sort of weird that on the news last night was someone holding up a picture of an 'assault weapon'(for most of the segment on the incident), as in, 'this is the gun he could have used to kill people, if he'd killed anyone, but he didn't, but he could of, if he'd wanted to, we think, you know...'

Fitting though, as the attitude of those adamantly opposed to "assault weapons" and "high-capacity magazines" are worried about what could happen, not about what actually does happen, or its statistical significance. It doesn't seem to matter how abstract it gets (e.g. "Holy cow, that could have been my daughter in that dorm where that guy could have gone and killed a bunch of people, but didn't.")

Are you saying students in general collect weapons and created hit lists and elaborate plans?

Are you saying this guy was "normal" and didn't have mental instabilities.

I am saying neither of those things. What I have said in the past is that "normal" and "insane" (where the "insane" epithet would lead to abridged rights) are not collectively exhaustive adjectives. In the past you've said that "normal" people don't go on shooting sprees, and that they are necessarily insane.

Now you're saying that people who buy a bunch of guns and write about a shooting spree, but don't actually carry it out are "not normal." Clearly he wasn't normal, but if the only other bucket you allow for is "insane," then that's where we have the disconnect.