rushmc

Why Not Renew the “Assault Weapons” Ban? Well, I’ll Tell You…

From the link

Mass shootings are a tiny, tiny problem. Which isn’t to say that they aren’t utterly horrifying in more than one way. People’s lives are destroyed, both literally and figuratively. What I mean to say is that if we were to prioritize our political attention to topics according to how many lives were at stake, mass shootings wouldn’t even be on the radar.

Factoring in the rate of death caused by mass shootings from Columbine to the present (about 210 people in 13 years), it will be more than 300 years until we reach the number of casualties that occur from accidental drownings every single year in this country. In a little more than 150 years from now, we’ll approach the number of people who are poisoned to death every single year in this country. Sometime in 2014 we might surpass the number of people struck by lightning every single year in this country.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Tucker Carlson: Do you know what a Barrel Shroud is?

Democratic House representative Carolyn McCarthy:

No I dont know what a barrel shroud is

Well...its in YOUR legislation!

Feel the BURRNNN

I am a bit amazed at how quiet this thread is staying
Abraham Lincoln

No, it is quiet because there is nothing new here. Move along. Nothing to see. Next thread please.

This happens in everything. We went to war over 9-11 right? Now remind me again, how many people died, 3000? That's nothing. If they came over here and killed 10 people a day - every day - for a year you think it would even make the news?

So reaction in this country isn't about the number of deaths/injuries/financial loss. It is about how sensational the event can be. Not because of the actual event itself.

. It is about how sensational the event can be. Not because of the actual event itself.

AND, what political gain can be had from it
Abraham Lincoln

Legislators don’t draft legislation. Legislators sponsor it. They might have staffers who put some other touches on bills. But lobbyists draft bills and look for legislators to sponsor them. Here’s how it works:

Let’s say you are Google (who spent over $14 million in lobbying last year). And let’s say you have certain interests that you want to have protected – things like “net neutrality.” It would be a great interference with your business if an ISP filtered out some of its first and second page hits because they didn’t pay Comcast to keep that content. Or the government filters stuff out. Etc.

Google wants protection and approaches Congress through their lobbyists. “Hey, Mr. Congressman, we’d like you to propose a bill regarding net neutrality. Come to think of it, we just happen to have a fully drafted proposed bill here, titled the ‘Congressman Joe Snuffy Freedom of Information and Anti-Censorship Bill to Ensure Web Access.’”

Congressman Snuffy replies, “What is net neutrality?” And a staffer says, “Remember Annie? Yeah. The smoking hot gal who took you hot tubbing in the Dominican Republic? No, not the one from last month – from two months ago. The one you said has a landing strip. No, not from July. The one from November. Not the brunette, the blonde. The real blonde. You told us to review the bill she had and she represented the National Cable & Telecommunications Association. We’ve been in negotiations with Comcast and AT&T to have a call centers put in to our district, but we are running into some problems with the Communications Workers Union and the SEIU. So they have been working on adding things to the bill but Comcast doesn’t want the SEIU and AT&T doesn’t want the CWA. Word is that Annie is scheduling a trip to Lesbos with Tammy Baldwin once she can lock up Melissa Etheridge for a private concert. So we need some action.”

So Google will find another Congressperson. Or go to the executive branch to give the FCC some proposed guidelines.

So this Congresswoman not knowing what her own legislation says? That’s common. She didn’t write it. She has had nothing to do with it other than sponsor it and do PR for it. She doesn’t know what’s in the bill or what it means. It’s the way things go in politics.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Since I've nearly been killed twice this week alone, they need start thinking about BLOCKING cell phone VHF frequencies while people are in their cars as these idiots who are texting as they are driving right towards me head on, need to stop. Biden rides the train. While on the train he's thinking about banning guns? So he's not so threatned like the rest of us who are on the roads every day.