JohnRich

2011 Smashes Sales Record for Guns

The treat of increased gun control has led to record sales.

From where do you get that as the motivation for rising gun sales? Maybe it just has a lot to do with increased awareness of Second Amendment rights, especially after the Supreme Court decision affirming it. Maybe it has to do with the growing realization that guns are a mainstream recreational activity? Maybe it has to do with the widespread exposure of enjoyable gun usage as seen on numerous TV shows, like "American Guns" and "Sons of Guns"? Maybe it's the spread of concealed carry laws that have swept the nation. Maybe it has to do with a growing population? Or maybe with demographics? Fear of gun control is just one aspect of gun sales, and not the sole reason.

The article in the OP does not talk about revenue. It talks about units. Unit numbers are up.

Well, we weren't talking about the article. I wrote something and he replied to it. The citation makes that rather clear.

I'm not surprised numbers are up since the people of two of the largest cities in the country now finally have some rights to buy guns. For the first time, their purchases will be counted.

From where do you get that as the motivation for rising gun sales?

Fear of gun control is just one aspect of gun sales

Thanks for answering your own question :)
Fear of scarcity or actual scarcity is a powerful driver of sales volume and pricing. Really a pretty simple concept. If I was in the gun business, I would be very happy with people widely proclaiming that Obama is going to ban guns.

Fear of scarcity or actual scarcity is a powerful driver of sales volume and pricing. Really a pretty simple concept. If I was in the gun business, I would be very happy with people widely proclaiming that Obama is going to ban guns.

But you wouldn't if you believed it as well. I'm sure they all remember what happened with Smith and Wesson in 2000.

Fear of scarcity or actual scarcity is a powerful driver of sales volume and pricing.

You seem to want to ignore all the other factors which also drive gun sales, and focus on only this one thing.

The only thing you're then forgetting to do, like someone else here, is to call everyone who buys a gun an idiot.

That's the illogical irrational gun-o-phobe view of gun sales.

You seem to want to ignore all the other factors which also drive gun sales

Not at all. Mnealtx in trying to declare victory for you made it the primary connection earlier in the thread.

Doesn't take away that gun control and the threat of scarcity is good for gun business.

So then what's your point? It's like the stupid question in another thread here about IF all the bad effects of burning fossil fuel could be eliminated would environmentalists still be against burning fossil fuel? It's a hypothetical without any basis or possibility in reality.

My point is pretty clear, sorry you're unable to understand it.

Obama would love to follow up on his past actions and comments to ban handguns and semi auto rifles.... But he knows that it is political suicide.

But, he HAS voted to ban them and he HAS said he wants to ban them. So claiming that he has and wants to is 100% valid as opposed to your false claims he does not just because he has not.

Your position is just out of some imaginary land of make believe and just ignores your candidates past performance and statements.

Romney has made similar statements. Does that mean he harbors a secret hatred of guns, and will ban them at his earliest opportunity?

Yes, and in fact he has already done it.

Romney has a worse record on the 2nd than Obama..... And that is a pretty amazing feat.

But BOTH have made anti 2nd comments, BOTH have voted against the 2nd, and BOTH claim to support the 2nd.

I trust neither of them.... In truth, I trust Romney less. I KNOW what Obama wants and know he just is unable to do it. Romney still claims that his AWB was pro-gun in some way.

>Obama would love to follow up on his past actions and comments to ban >handguns and semi auto rifles....

Exactly. He already banned em once, why wouldn't he do it again?

He's on record that he'd like to ban them, and admitted they were working on gun control laws 'under the table'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Post: >Obama would love to follow up on his past actions and comments to ban
>handguns and semi auto rifles....

Exactly. He already banned em once, why wouldn't he do it again?

Because he knows it is political suicide. He has already stated that he can't get it done and is working 'under the radar'.

You really can't blame people for listening to Obamas claims and looking at his track record.

Gun sales are booming in Australia too:
Trigger happy shooters' gun buying spree

"NSW is gun mad - and proud of it - with shooters stockpiling almost 100,000 new registered firearms in the past five years...

The figures from the NSW Firearms Registry have shocked the anti-gun lobby, which has called for more scrutiny on the reasons shooters give when applying for new guns..."
Full story: The Telegraph

I wonder what reasons the gun-control lobby would consider to be valid for buying another gun? Isn't "because I'm a law abiding citizen and I want one" good enough?

From the National Shooting Sports Foundation:
"One of the best indicators of firearms sales is the FBI's National Instant Background Check System, which federally licensed firearm retailers use to conduct the mandatory background check on purchasers of new and used firearms. NSSF downwardly adjusts the NICS data by subtracting checks related to non-purchasing activity, such as checks for concealed carry permits, in order to gain a more accurate picture of market activity.

"December marked an unprecedented 19th straight month of background check increases when compared to the same period in the previous year. NSSF-adjusted background checks for December totaled more than 1,410,937 (1,854,400 "unadjusted")--the most ever for any single month. This comes on the heels of the historic "Black Friday" (Nov. 25, 2011) record for the most background checks in a single day--129,166--a 32 percent increase over the previous one-day high".
Chart: http://www.nssf.org/share/images/PR_NICS_Adjusted_1080.jpg