Xhollister

God and Texas

Popsjumper called me on a mis-spelling typo

We're still trying to help you kick your comma addiction.
The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.

That means a lot. I know it's been a problem... I just don't know what to do. You have no idea... :$[:/]

Well... the first thing to realise... is that you can't just... substitute... one addiction... for another... It just doesn't help.

Like snuff instead of cigarettes? :D

Chuck

Well... the first thing to realise... is that you can't just... substitute... one addiction... for another... It just doesn't help.

... --- ...!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

God may not need money, but the ordinary people who do good things on his behalf, do. Food and housing aren't free for mortal souls.

Then why bring "God" and the phrase "One State Under God" into it at all?
Why not simply use the phrase, "proceeds from this license plate go to feed hungry children?"

Because they *wanted* a "God" plate, qualified to make it happen, and were approved for it by the state. So who the heck are you to complain about it?

Here are all the plates which send funds to various organizations from their sales:
https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60

Should all of those dozens of organizations be required to hide their identities too?

Let's face it: you hate religion, and can't stand to see any sign of it. But that's one of the freedoms we have in this country. If you don't like it, that's fine, but you should sure as heck learn to live with it. Because if we ever get to the point where this country starts stamping out all references to religion, then we're starting down a slippery slope that has a really ugly ending.

I, apparently like you, don't believe in God either. But unlike you, I don't hate religious people and wish to stamp out all signs of religion. Instead, I respect them and their beliefs, even though I don't share those beliefs.

Let's face it: you hate religion, and can't stand to see any sign of it.

Nonsense. What I'm against is people using it as a form of control or to disingenuously make a buck off those under its influence. But believe what you will.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I like the Organ Donor plates. They should require them for 18-25 year olds who buy rocket bikes.

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60&pltid=94

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

What I'm against is people using it as a form of control or to disingenuously make a buck off those under its influence. But believe what you will.

How is someone making a free choice to buy this specialty license plate being "controlled" by religion?

How is it "disingenuous" for a charity organization to receive donations via "God" license plates?

What I'm against is people using it as a form of control or to disingenuously make a buck off those under its influence. But believe what you will.

How is someone making a free choice to buy this specialty license plate being "controlled" by religion?

I didn't say it was. I said those are the things I'm against.

How is it "disingenuous" for a charity organization to receive donations via "God" license plates?

What, exactly, is the name of this organization? When you get back to me on that, please see the other statement as well about controlling people via religion.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I like the Organ Donor plates. They should require them for 18-25 year olds who buy rocket bikes.

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60&pltid=94

I'm with you on that one. I've had to scrape up too many dead bodies off of roads and out of the folded metal of a former car to think differently.

One of the last was a 19yr old on a GXR1000 with a power commander and NOS that was able to slow to 45mph before he hit a suburban. He had been doing well north of 100mph. He hit so hard that his full face helmet broke and his face separated at the sinuses. Part of his brain continued downrange about 40ft before skipping off the pavement. Having "talked" to him a couple of times before that accident, he thought he was special, with "mad skillz." Much like our wonderkind low jump number "swoopers."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I didn't say it was. I said those are the things I'm against.

So that was just a generalized anti-religion statement and had nothing to do with this thread about license plates. Got it.

What, exactly, is the name of this organization? When you get back to me on that, please see the other statement as well about controlling people via religion.

Once it goes online and is available, the information about the charity will be posted, just as it is for those that already exist. For example, the "God Bless Texas" plate clearly states: "From the $40 specialty plate fee, $32 goes to the Texas Education Agency fund for use for the Safe Routes to School Program." See: https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60&pltid=85

Anyone seeking to order that specialty plate will see that info, and can choose whether or not to donate their money to that organization.

The "One state under god" plate that this thread is about, will donate money to Calvary Hill, a Christian-based youth anti-gang ministry. If you don't want your money going to that organization, you don't have to order the plate.

The name of the charity was easily located - all you had to do was read one or two more news stories. Just because the story used in the thread-starter message didn't include that specific name, doesn't mean that it was a conscious effort by the church to hide their identity. It just means the reporter didn't bother to mention it. Others did. For example, see http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/12/texas-calvary-hill-license-plate-crosses.html No conspiracy here. Just your failure to do enough research to find the name elsewhere.

So, both of your reasons for disliking this license plate have now been proven groundless. And we're back once again to just your general anti-religious bias. Tsk tsk. I don't expect the facts will change your view, even though your excuses were wrong. Lacking facts or details, off you go charging at religious windmills like Don Quixote!