Kennedy

So Tell Me Again About "Peaceful" Protests

*sigh*
More fish story. Herrings aren't all that big. Especially the red ones.

Kennedy, please do not respond to my posts anymore, Okay? Thanks in advance.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

*sigh*
More fish story. Herrings aren't all that big. Especially the red ones.

Kennedy, please do not respond to my posts anymore, Okay? Thanks in advance.

I am still waiting for you to answer his question

As far as him responding to your post?

Please
give us all a break
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Kennedy seems to have a hard time differentiating between legal and prudent. It is a very common issue with LEO type personnel.

They cannot get past the fact that something can be legal, or according to regulation, but still wrong.

I can get my head around that just fine. I can also accept that some things are illegal but may not be morally wrong. Right and wrong can be very subjective. However I'm glad we can all agree now that officers did not break any laws.

In your opinion, why was it wrong? I'm asking a serious question. No one has said WHY they feel it was wrong. Some have suggested other actions they would have preferred officers take, but no one said why they think it's wrong. I've already explained that OC spray is less likely to result in injuries to everyone invovled and no one had anything to say in disagreement (except pops who couldn't explain how/why he thinks OC causes injuries), so why do you feel officers are wrong to choose that method?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

In your opinion, why was it wrong?

They forgot the cardinal rule, you are always on camera. What they did looked incredibly wrong, specially the apparent cavalier attitude it was done in. It gave the protestors the upper hand for a number of days.

From that perspective, they would have been better off to try some pressure point or pinching techniques. Would have looked a looked a lot better on camera.

In your opinion, why was it wrong?

They forgot the cardinal rule, you are always on camera. What they did looked incredibly wrong, specially the apparent cavalier attitude it was done in. It gave the protestors the upper hand for a number of days.

From that perspective, they would have been better off to try some pressure point or pinching techniques. Would have looked a looked a lot better on camera.

Thank you. That is a valid concern and a reasonable preference. I don't think they forgot they were on camera. What folks have to realize is that nearly every use of force looks "bad" on film, even when justified, necessary, and unavoidable. I also agree they could have used more push-pull and torque/pain compliance hands-on techniques. Officers have been debating since the dawn of pepper spray as to which looks worse: spraying a non-violent resisting suspect or torquing one to the ground. I disagree that they SHOULD have, but I agree they could have.

As to the cavalier attitude, that was intentional. As bad as a calm detached ho-hum officer looks while spraying someone, an angry or excited officer looks even worse. (and a smiling officer deploying a TASER looks worst*) When using the pepper spray, as I said way back on page one, the officer would have looked better if he had remembered basic OC training - one second bursts. I think if he had let two officers give commands and use hard hands on one protester and then sprayed just that protester, it would have looked a lot better. Then if necessary he could have spray the protesters on either side, one at a time. It really looks bad holding the trigger walking around the circle spraying six or seven people.

Overall, I think this incident was blown way out of proportion by lies and misrepresentations. The letter about prying mouths open and puking blood was out there the first day, before even the snippet videos. Then came the short videos trying to imply the protesters were sprayed just for sitting down and protesting. If the facts had been known from day one, I think a lot of people would not have reacted so negatively towards the lieutenant. Instead a lot of visceral reactions took root before the facts came out, and now the facts are all being looked at through fertilizer colored glasses. It's a fact of life in the 24hr live news instant-communication-around-the-globe world we live in these days.

* - note: If you watch a lot of video, you'll catch officers with a smile while using a TASER. That's not because they are enjoying what they are doing; it's actually a learned response. While going through TASER training, a lot of videos and humor are used (to keep officers engaged in the class and to calm nerves about being hit with one). Officers laugh a lot and many associate it with the sight and sounds of a TASER in action. Often that leads to a small smile during an actual use of force. There is one video out there of an asshole - later fired - using a TASER inappropriately and wearing a demonic looking grin: that is NOT what I'm talking about.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Do you have a fucking point? Why are dredging up dead treads? Half the posters have left SC prevet, a few have left this world, and a few have been banned for life.
witty subliminal message
1*