Kennedy

So Tell Me Again About "Peaceful" Protests

UC Davis Student Admits Protesters Surrounded Cops and Wouldn't Let Them Leave
By Noel Sheppard | November 24, 2011 | 14:39

As Occupy-loving media continue to express outrage over protesters getting pepper-sprayed by campus police officers at the University of California at Davis last week, a surprising admission by one of the attendees was uncovered in an interview Democracy Now!'s Amy Goodman did Monday.

One of the pepper-sprayed students told Goodman, "We had encircled them [campus police], and they were trying to leave, and they were trying to clear a path. And so, we sat down, linked arms, and said that if they wanted to clear the path, they would have to go through us" (video follows with transcript and commentary):
snip

Every suspect's actions fit into one of the following categories at any given time (of course they can move from one to another in an instant)
Compliance
Passive noncompliance
Verbal resistance
Physical resistance
Physical assault

These UC Davis protesters were not complying, I think we can all agree on that. They were not practicing passive noncompliance either. Passive noncompliance is just sitting quietly in one place like the 60s sit-in protests. They were verbally resistant. When told they were breaking the law and facing arrest they stated they would not move. When told to move they said "no." It was not aggressive, but it was verbal resistance. The protesters were also physically resistant. When you join arms and hold on to things to prevent officers from moving you, that is an affirmative act, an intentional physical act to prevent officers from effecting an arrest. I don't think anyone at that protest brought it up to assault.

Does that fit your definition of "peaceful," ladies and gentlemen? It doesn't fit mine.

Now, in addition to the video where we can see the protesters seated in a curve (we can't see behind the officers where if it continues that curve would form a circle surrounding officers), we have a protester on video admiring that they surrounded officers and would not let the officers leave unless they climbed over or forcibly moved the protesters.

Does that fit your definition of "peaceful," ladies and gentlemen? It doesn't fit mine.

I'm not saying I would have done things exactly like the officers on scene. I'm not saying they were wrong, either. I'm saying, as a Monday morning quarterback, they could have done a few things better. First, I would have used a loud speaker, or if unavailable, would have used a much louder voice. I would not have addressed just one or two quietly. (they may have done this, I don't know, and I don't have video leading up to the circle)

Second, I would have had two officers attempt to move one protester. I don't think they would have succeeded, and I wouldn't expect them to. It would have been to demonstrate that the protesters will not move with "soft hands" physical guidance and that they are resisting push/pull physical force. Then I would address the crowd again, reinforcing that they are trespassing/disorderly/illegally blocking a sodewalk/wrongfully detaining officers etc, stating that they have refused lawful orders to disperse and that they have resisted lower uses of force. Then state that they will be pepper sprayed if they refuse to move.

Finally, when they don't move, I'd have one officer spray a single suspect on the sidewalk. Then have two officers grab and move that one suspect. If others interfere, I'd spray them as necessary. Also, each spritz of OC spray would be a burst at a single suspect. The continuous spray just looks bad. It has the same results, and the same lack of injuries, but being right isn't enough, you have to look good doing it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yeah, when you break the law and the police show, you should comply with their instructions or expect to suffer unpleasant consequences as they use reasonable force to overcome your resistance. Why do you have an issue with officers following the law and department policy?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yeah, when you break the law and the police show, you should comply with their instructions or expect to suffer unpleasant consequences as they use reasonable force to overcome your resistance. Why do you have an issue with officers following the law and department policy?

I am not surprised at all by the site you posted.. more false information from the far fringe right that poses as reality in our quicly approaching militaristic religio-fascist state that the fundamentalists long for:S:S

Why do YOU apologize for bullies who get off on their little power trips day in and day out.??

I am not surprised at all by the site you posted.. more false information from the far fringe right that poses as reality in our quicly approaching militaristic fascist state:S:S

Why do YOU apologize for bullies who get off on their little power trips day in and day out.??

Why can't you answer a question or address facts? What's false about the info?
Here. This is the source of the video. It's called democracy now. Read their about us page and tell me if you think they're rightwing fringe.
witty subliminal message
1*

I am not surprised at all by the site you posted.. more false information from the far fringe right that poses as reality in our quicly approaching militaristic fascist state:S:S

Here. This is the source of the video. It's called democracy now. Read their about us page and tell me if you think they're rightwing fringe.

Your site certainly is rightwing fringe... or can't you tell the difference anymore with all that "Fair and Balanced" propaganda that has been shoved down the right wings throats so willingly.

I am not usually a blind police supporter and I am not a fan of our trend toward a police state where it is them versus us.

That being said I am a huge fan of common sense.

Taking the claim that they encircled police at face value I would have to say that was pretty piss poor common sense! I don't think you should be mobbing anyone with a huge group, police or otherwise!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Your site certainly is rightwing fringe... or can't you tell the difference anymore with all that "Fair and Balanced" propaganda that has been shoved down the right wings throats so willingly.

Get past who reported it. I got it off Fark (or maybe Drudge). They got it from the Democrasy Now! website. Can you get past the source and talk about what's on the video now? The fact that they surrounded police officers and refused to let the officers leave? That they were clearly warned that officers would use pepper spray if protesters refused to move? Can you address anything in my OP other than your distaste for the website?
witty subliminal message
1*

Get past who reported it. I got it off Fark (or maybe Drudge). They got it from the Democrasy Now! website. Can you get past the source and talk about what's on the video now? The fact that they surrounded police officers and refused to let the officers leave? That they were clearly warned that officers would use pepper spray if protesters refused to move? Can you address anything in my OP other than your distaste for the website?

Your attempts at justification IS the issue .... is this REALLLY the America you want going forward where civil disobidience is punished by out of control police control freaks ??

Do you think it is acceptable for a group of people to surround officers, block their movement, and refuse to let them go?

Would you rather officers wade in and start beating people? Asking and telling the protesters to move didn't work. Studies have shown that the faster use of force overcomes restistance, the less likely there will be injuries. Studies have also shown using OC results in fewer injuries than putting hands on people to effect an arrest. Officers don't engage in pushing and pulling contests. It isn't safe. It isn't effective. More significantly, it makes it more likely that the level of force will escalate even higher.

What would you have the officers do?
witty subliminal message
1*

No matter how hard you try to fluff up this "linking arms is an "affirmative act"" argument, I don't think the civilized world will buy it.

That doesn't phase him. He's on a roll and won't be distracted.
Quick to temper and quick to violence....not a good combo.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

*sigh*

Is your keyboard stuck? How many times are you going to ask that and continue to avoid reading the anwers that have been posted repeatedly.

you're wasting bandwidth.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Do you think it is acceptable for a group of people to surround officers, block their movement, and refuse to let them go?

Would you rather officers wade in and start beating people? Asking and telling the protesters to move didn't work. Studies have shown that the faster use of force overcomes restistance, the less likely there will be injuries. Studies have also shown using OC results in fewer injuries than putting hands on people to effect an arrest. Officers don't engage in pushing and pulling contests. It isn't safe. It isn't effective. More significantly, it makes it more likely that the level of force will escalate even higher.

Act like human beings and leave... and quit escalating things thru stupidity and macho bullshit.

*sigh*

Is your keyboard stuck? How many times are you going to ask that and continue to avoid reading the anwers that have been posted repeatedly.

I wanted Jeanne's opinion. But as to your question, I saw some folks suggest grabbing protesters, yanking them apart, and then dragging them as a group out of the way and off of the sidewalk. That is just about guaranteed to injure them. I guess I have more concern for protesters than that. No one was injured when the officers did it my way.

I'm also still waiting for video of officers prying anyone's mouth or eyes open and forcing it down their throat. I am so tired of people flat out lying about officers and facing no consequences. The hat flick body slam and beating. The pregnant belly kicking. The mouth prying OC spraying blood puking. It been one bullshit allegation after another.

So now that we know that the protesters did surround the officers and refuse to let them leave, and that they were warned, why do you have a problem with the pepper spray? I've been sprayed (practically painted) three separate times for training and exposed I don't know how many times. Yeah, it sucks. But you know what? Nobody gets hurt. The important thing is for officers to manage the suspect's panic response. I prefer temporary discomfort to the possibility of sprains, breaks, nerve injuries, etc.

I've been sprayed, and I've seen the difference between spraying and fighting. Given a choice, I'll spray rather than wrestle. Safer for me and them.
witty subliminal message
1*

*sigh*

I wanted Jeanne's opinion. But as to your question, I saw some folks suggest grabbing protesters, yanking them apart, and then dragging them as a group out of the way and off of the sidewalk. That is just about guaranteed to injure them. I guess I have more concern for protesters than that. No one was injured when the officers did it my way.

I'm also still waiting for video of officers prying anyone's mouth or eyes open and forcing it down their throat. I am so tired of people flat out lying about officers and facing no consequences. The hat flick body slam and beating. The pregnant belly kicking. The mouth prying OC spraying blood puking. It been one bullshit allegation after another.

So now that we know that the protesters did surround the officers and refuse to let them leave, and that they were warned, why do you have a problem with the pepper spray? I've been sprayed (practically painted) three separate times for training and exposed I don't know how many times. Yeah, it sucks. But you know what? Nobody gets hurt. The important thing is for officers to manage the suspect's panic response. I prefer temporary discomfort to the possibility of sprains, breaks, nerve injuries, etc.

I've been sprayed, and I've seen the difference between spraying and fighting. Given a choice, I'll spray rather than wrestle. Safer for me and them.

You are incapable of getting it... like so many of your brother officers. [:/][:/]

*sigh*

You are incapable of getting it... like so many of your brother officers. [:/][:/]

So fucking well explain it, clearly, with finite steps, and not via self-defining terms. HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS?

*sigh*

So fucking well explain it, clearly, with finite steps, and not via self-defining terms. HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS?

Psyche testing and a hell of a lot of training... those who fail to act professionally... are OUTTA DER.

Those who seek power.... WILL abuse it.

Snip

Act like human beings and leave... and quit escalating things thru stupidity and macho bullshit.

Jeanne, did you even go to the link in the OP? The protesters surrounded the officers an wouldn't let them leave. Watch the video at the bottom of the page. Listen to the chant. They wouldn't let the officers leave. Walking away was not an option. Next answer?
witty subliminal message
1*

Snip

Jeanne, did you even go to the link in the OP? The protesters surrounded the officers an wouldn't let them leave. Watch the video at the bottom of the page. Listen to the chant. They wouldn't let the officers leave. Walking away was not an option. Next answer?

B U L L S H I T..

We are leaving... and they walk away... but we all know that would never happen under Homeland Security militarization.. and needledick syndrome.

Take it down a notch or two. So far we're keeping it to talking in this thread. No screaming or bwahaha BS. I'd like to keep it that way. I prefer talking over beers tone to screaming over barricades tone.
witty subliminal message
1*