Heatmiser

Is this a justified attitude about employment?

I caught this on Facebook earlier...

"So basically I work for a place that has no ability to provide incentive to work hard. No bonuses, no internal promotions, not even a beneficial rating system. Basically the only thing you can strive for is to work slow for the opportunity for overtime. Wow...."

My personal opinion is this, and it was also my response. "What about working hard for the money you already agreed upon..."
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

That's also a management problem. Even without formal financial incentives, a word from your manager makes a huge difference. Knowing that your manager actually cares about what you're doing for them can have a real impact in even the lowest-level job. People are human, and respond to praise.

That said, the attitude still sucks.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Of course the employers could do a better job to keep their people engaged in the business. Some do this, others don't. But a bout of unemployment where the person has difficulty finding an equivalent replacement job will solve their complacency towards their present employment situation. Not saying people should be slaves to their employer, just saying that a dose of reality can cure their complacency.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"So basically I work for a place that has no ability to provide incentive to work hard. No bonuses, no internal promotions, not even a beneficial rating system. Basically the only thing you can strive for is to work slow for the opportunity for overtime. Wow...."

My personal opinion is this, and it was also my response. "What about working hard for the money you already agreed upon..."

1. What was the "employment agreement" when s/he accepted the job?
2. After their company reads the FB posting; perhaps they will find a better job... unless their next employer reads their FB posting. :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sometimes employers get the effort they deserve.

But regardless, when a person feels this way, it's a sign to start looking for something else. Either your unhappiness will grow, and/or the employer will notice and solve the problem for you.

2. After their company reads the FB posting; perhaps they will find a better job... unless their next employer reads their FB posting. :S

I honestly have no idea what the employment agreement is. I am pretty positive it did not include slowing production of whatever his output is to the point that the employer has to spend more money for the same results. I could be wrong. I haven't been in his shoes in a long time. I started in an industry (painting) as a bottom of the barrel helper. I did have opportunity to move up and increase, but the way that happened was I excelled at my current position. I can't say how much the opportunity to improve motivated me. I have always had the attitude that if someone is paying me money for a task, I'm going to give my best in completing that task. If I receive anything extra, that is exactly what it is. Extra.:)
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I honestly have no idea what the employment agreement is. I am pretty positive it did not include slowing production of whatever his output is to the point that the employer has to spend more money for the same results. I could be wrong. I haven't been in his shoes in a long time. I started in an industry (painting) as a bottom of the barrel helper. I did have opportunity to move up and increase, but the way that happened was I excelled at my current position. I can't say how much the opportunity to improve motivated me. I have always had the attitude that if someone is paying me money for a task, I'm going to give my best in completing that task. If I receive anything extra, that is exactly what it is. Extra.:)

Agreed. My sense of the "employment agreement" is they were offered X dollars to do Y per hour. My Daddy taught me that if you agree to take X dollars from a man for Y amount of work, then he always gets 100% or you don't accept the job. Now, they didn't have FB when Dad was alive, but I'm sure he mentioned something about taking a man's money for an honest days work don't give you the privilege of complaining about him behind his back. "Unless you work for yourself." :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

What you are telling me is that the employee has no integrity. I'd fire his ass in a second...and then question myself on just how was it that the hiring interview missed that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239