NWFlyer

Penn State Fires Paterno and Spanier

Did those people have multi-million dollar contracts though?
;)

I've done the same. I would however understand someone suing for wrongful termination of a contract as part of a huge felony sex case on a minor vortex takes you down because of a misunderstanding - more so when the pussy involved in throwing you under the bus had to balls to stop it in the first place. HE did the wrong thing.
What human being could walk away from that????

It wasn't just the coach. it was the Provost of the University. Or president. Or whatever they call it there.

The Regents - or whatever they're called - cleaned house because this is not in the best interests of the school. Understandably.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thanks for highlighting my root issue here.
:P

I doubt cops would show up if I reported "horseplay".

Oh what is the world coming too when sports hero's and the rich and powerfull... cant horseplay around at will with anyone they wish in any way they wish.

Paterno got crucified on this deal, and for no real good reason. It's a damned shame that someone who's been such an upstanding model for the sporting community (literally one of the only people in that industry whom I respect) has his entire body of work tarnished, his good deeds negated, solely because someone else was a sick bastard.

There is no way he could be allowed to finish out the season. Penn State Football is one of the most successful programs ever, making better than 50M a year. You can't have it lead by the enabler of a child molester. You can quibble all you like about whether he knew, or sorta of knew, but it doesn't matter. When a long running plague like this comes out, you clean house. It will take a while for PSU to escape this stench and having him stay on would worsen it substantially.

JoePa isn't going to sue the university for wrongful termination. He knows/accepts the situation better than most of his fans. Such a suit only drags out the affair and subjects him to a lot more embarrassing testimony. The only way it goes away favorably for him is if every kid recanted and said it was made up. Anyone think that's a possibility?

The students at Penn State rioted in support of a man who helped to cover up the sexual assault of children for years. It's FOOTBALL. It's only a game. Paterno is not a god. Penn State students, please get your collective heads out of your collective asses...

yes.

Colleges exist to educate, not field athletic teams.

Thank you.

When I was at PSU I found the sports culture there despicable. Jo Pa's image was everywhere, as if he is some kind of god. What really turned me off was when Pepsi paid $3 million for a scoreboard advertisement. NONE of that went to academics -- only to the big money machine they call the athletic program.

Joe Paterno could have done the right thing years ago and exposed this guy for doing what he did. Instead, he enabled a pederast, out of self-interest, and in the interest of the useless athletics program. Then the dirt comes out and now he's repentant. He deserves to go out in disgrace.

And then there's his douchebag son who tried to run for Congress, solely by virtue of his big last name.

I hope PSU's sports program goes to shit for this.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

The students at Penn State rioted in support of a man who helped to cover up the sexual assault of children for years.

Someone told him something bad about someone who was not in his organization, and hadn't been for years. He reported this to his superior, and to the guy in charge of campus police. You consider this helping to cover up? Next you're gonna tell us that Paterno basically held the kid down. I've had people tell me stories that included them personally committing criminal acts (as opposed to just witnessing them) and I didn't call the cops. According to you, this makes me guilty of covering up those crimes. Of course, that would mean that you should be calling the cops on me, or be guilty of the same offense.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The students at Penn State rioted in support of a man who helped to cover up the sexual assault of children for years.

Someone told him something bad about someone who was not in his organization, and hadn't been for years. He reported this to his superior, and to the guy in charge of campus police. You consider this helping to cover up? Next you're gonna tell us that Paterno basically held the kid down. I've had people tell me stories that included them personally committing criminal acts (as opposed to just witnessing them) and I didn't call the cops. According to you, this makes me guilty of covering up those crimes. Of course, that would mean that you should be calling the cops on me, or be guilty of the same offense.

Blues,
Dave

This is completely different. Paterno had an obligation to protect the children by vitue of his position.

Thanks for highlighting my root issue here.
:P

I doubt cops would show up if I reported "horseplay".

I really think it would benefit you to read the whole grand jury report before making any more comments on how you think things went down. It will change your opinion of JoePa very quickly. Its public record, plenty of places to read it out there on the www.

Its a tough pill to swallow I know. I once admired the man greatly and he was one of my favorite college football coaches at one time.

So after reading it two more times now, a total of seven, I stand by my previous opinions.
"Horseplay in the shower" does not require calling the police.
There's a pile of people that SHOULD be charged with not reporting it IMO. Joe isn't one of them based on the testimony IMO.

So after reading it two more times now, a total of seven, I stand by my previous opinions.
"Horseplay in the shower" does not require calling the police.
There's a pile of people that SHOULD be charged with not reporting it IMO. Joe isn't one of them based on the testimony IMO.

How did you miss the part 7 times about JoePa being told by McQueary that a child was being raped. He was never told "horseplay". It was the communication from JoePa to his superiors where the story changed a bit.

Are you a Penn St fan? I can't see how anybody other than someone blinded by the deity of JoePa could possibly stand beside this guy.

Regardless of who told who what. JoePa got the full story from Mcqueary who the grand jury find very credible, and he continually employed a child rapist as hs DC and allowed him to be around children knowing the guy was never punished for his crime.

Whether Joe did anything wrong criminally is arguable, whether he deserved to be fired is absolutely without question.

Quote: " I've had people tell me stories that included them personally committing criminal acts (as opposed to just witnessing them) and I didn't call the cops. According to you, this makes me guilty of covering up those crimes. Of course, that would mean that you should be calling the cops on me, or be guilty of the same offense. "

What kind of criminal acts you didnt report ? Cutting a lock for a base jump ? Not a huge deal.
Or robbing the Tacoma National Bank ? or worse ? Now that is more of a big deal.

" I've had people tell me stories that included them personally committing criminal acts (as opposed to just witnessing them) and I didn't call the cops. According to you, this makes me guilty of covering up those crimes. Of course, that would mean that you should be calling the cops on me, or be guilty of the same offense. "

What criminal acts ? Cutting a lock for a base jump ?
Or robbing the Tacoma National Bank ? or worse ?

Huh?[:/]
Wow, I don't even know how to address this.

First off, never said JoePa was guilty of a crime. The courts will decide that, and perhaps one of our lawyers on here can add insight to that one.

2nd, nothing you said even comes close to raping a child.

3rd, lets just use your bank robbing example. If you managed a store and had an employee that admittedly robbed a bank, and you still let him handle the deposits and lo and behold a few turn up missing. Do you not think the district manager would have a right to fire you for being a dumbass.

4. Take the #3 scenario apply it to an employee that you know raped a child, allow them to be around children, then the word gets out and you get fired. Thats unfair to you?