Kennedy

DHS forms Pre-Crime, waits for Red Ball to drop

Real-life "Minority Report" program gets a try-out

October 07, 2011
by CBNews.com

Updated 2:12 p.m. PT: An internal U.S. Department of Homeland Security document indicates that a controversial program designed to predict whether a person will commit a crime is already being tested on some members of the public voluntarily, CNET has learned.

If this sounds a bit like the Tom Cruise movie called "Minority Report," or the CBS drama "Person of Interest," it is. But where "Minority Report" author Philip K. Dick enlisted psychics to predict crimes, DHS is betting on algorithms: it's building a "prototype screening facility" that it hopes will use factors such as ethnicity, gender, breathing, and heart rate to "detect cues indicative of mal-intent."

The latest developments, which reveal efforts to "collect, process, or retain information on" members of "the public," came to light through an internal DHS document obtained under open-government laws by the Electronic Privacy Information Center. DHS calls its "pre-crime" system Future Attribute Screening Technology, or FAST.

"If it were deployed against the public, it would be very problematic," says Ginger McCall, open government counsel at EPIC, a nonprofit group in Washington, D.C.
snip...

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

From a scientific standpoint, I'm curious what, if anything, they'll find that is statistically relevant. From a real world application view, I'm scared to death. To make it work, they'd need to monitor every person every second of every day, and they'd have to know what was going on every second to compare baseline to variation and variation to activity.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

From a scientific standpoint, I'm curious what, if anything, they'll find that is statistically relevant. From a real world application view, I'm scared to death. To make it work, they'd need to monitor every person every second of every day, and they'd have to know what was going on every second to compare baseline to variation and variation to activity.

They will find the same thing we already know. Economic shortfalls, subcultural peer groups, insecurity and temperament makes a good candidate for committing crimes. Now, if one actually will do it is another thing.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I refer you to "Person of Interest" CBS, Thursday 9/8c

http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Yep, just because all violent criminals do/are ABCD, that doesn't mean squat unless all people who do/are ABCD commit a violent crime. We all know the indicators for "at risk" folks to become criminals, but what separates the possible criminals from the actual ones? THAT is the really interesting question.
witty subliminal message
1*

We all know the indicators for "at risk" folks to become criminals,

I don't. Can you help out us wonderers out here?

but what separates the possible criminals from the actual ones? THAT is the really interesting question.

And the one that leads directly to Big Brother.
Orwells' 1984 is getting closer and closer to reality.
[:/]

Meh, WTH...we're Americans! We'll give up rights faster that the French give up battles....which, BTW, is now nothing more than an old cliche when compared to U.S. sheeple.

New American flag:
White with a lube logo.

Us vs Them and Them is winning.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

We all know the indicators for "at risk" folks to become criminals,

I don't. Can you help out us wonderers out here?

Criminal peers/associates
Anti social personality/BPD
Addiction
Dysfunctional family

Lesser factors include low sociology-economic status and the like

but what separates the possible criminals from the actual ones? THAT is the really interesting question.

And the one that leads directly to Big Brother.
Orwells' 1984 is getting closer and closer to reality.
[:/]

Meh, WTH...we're Americans! We'll give up rights faster that the French give up battles....which, BTW, is now nothing more than an old cliche when compared to U.S. sheeple.

New American flag:
White with a lube logo.

Us vs Them and Them is winning.

Oh, we're well beyond 1984. And I wasn't saying I wanted any of this to happen, just that it's an interesting mental exercise. Ranks right up there with "what would happen if there were no guns or bombs anymore."
witty subliminal message
1*

>it hopes will use factors such as ethnicity, gender, breathing, and heart rate
>to "detect cues indicative of mal-intent."

Wow. And to think 50 years ago all of that was handled by local police without any sophisticated instruments. "Gonna be trouble, that Meyers kid. Better keep an eye on him."

This is why I'm not afraid of Big Brother coming. This is just emotional intelligence replaced by socially inept voyers with their algorithms. Look at the NSA now. "Big Brother has your wife's naked pictures!!". That's the threat. You are being spied on by dorks, not scary men in black that knock on your door in the night.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Wow. And to think 50 years ago all of that was handled by local police without any sophisticated instruments. "Gonna be trouble, that Meyers kid. Better keep an eye on him."

And then at some point folks started listening to complaints about profiling and harassment and such. Now a cop heard saying that will wind up in civil court for a few years. You're not allowed to treat criminals. Fuckwits want everyone treated equally. They never got the memo: not everyone is equal - the ones doing wrong do need to be treated differently.
witty subliminal message
1*

And then at some point folks started listening to complaints about profiling and harassment and such. Now a cop heard saying that will wind up in civil court for a few years. You're not allowed to treat criminals. Fuckwits want everyone treated equally. They never got the memo: not everyone is equal - the ones doing wrong do need to be treated differently.

Maybe, but labeling some one a bad apple can be a self fulfilling proficiency.

If I tell a teacher before the class year starts the little Jimmy is a bad student, and trouble maker, and a low performer do you think the teacher will focus on improving little Jimmy, or will the teacher focus on the other kids more, allowing little Jimmy to fall further behind.

Do you think throwing a kid in Juvenal Detention for one fuck up will put him on the straight and narrow, or will it put a mark on his record that holds him back and actually guides him further into a life of crime.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

>And then at some point folks started listening to complaints
>about profiling and harassment and such.

True. Of course that was based on (for example) white cops who regularly arrested only blacks. Fortunately most of that has now ended. Cops still know who to keep an eye on and who to not keep an eye on.