JohnRich

Man charged in plot to bomb Pentagon using model airplane

News:

"A 26-year-old Massachusetts man with a physics degree was arrested and charged Wednesday with plotting an attack on the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol with a remote-controlled model aircraft, authorities said. Rezwan Ferdaus, a U.S. citizen from Ashland, Massachusetts, planned to use model aircraft filled with C-4 plastic explosives, authorities said..."
Full story: CNN

What a surprise - he wasn't a christian!
And it's a good thing there weren't any model rocket motors involved in this plot.

Well, it's very clear to me that we need to take steps to prevent a nutter from getting a model airplane or rocket engine. I think they should be subjected to a background check and have a psychological evaluation before they are allow to buy these potentially lethal engines. I don't think we should wait until some nutter with a model airplane or a rocket actually kills somebody.

Well, it's very clear to me that we need to take steps to prevent a nutter from getting a model airplane or rocket engine. I think they should be subjected to a background check and have a psychological evaluation before they are allow to buy these potentially lethal engines. I don't think we should wait until some nutter with a model airplane or a rocket actually kills somebody.

That's a bad idea.

Civilians don't need toy planes with wing spans over 5' or more thrust than you can get with a 15cc motor. Civilians don't need toy rocket motors with over 20 Newton * seconds of specific impulse.

By allowing sane people without criminal records to buy such dangerous goods you let criminals and terrorists get them too via straw purchases and private sales.

Instead we need to ban them outright with exemptions for law enforcement and military personnel who have legitimate uses for such devices.

Yep, all those homicides committed with model airplanes every year - I'm surprised no-one has tried to ban them previously.

...and let's not even get into those obviously mentally unstable nutcases that strap model jet engines onto their bodies and jump out of planes and off of cliffs, etc. What if one of those guys went the rest of the way off the rails and decided to take out a building or something? I say stop them before they get a chance. (besides, I'm a little jealous)

Yep, all those homicides committed with model airplanes every year - I'm surprised no-one has tried to ban them previously.

...and let's not even get into those obviously mentally unstable nutcases that strap model jet engines onto their bodies and jump out of planes and off of cliffs, etc. What if one of those guys went the rest of the way off the rails and decided to take out a building or something? I say stop them before they get a chance. (besides, I'm a little jealous)

Oh yeah!

JohnRich needs to worry about the beam in his own eye before motes in the eyes of others.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh yeah!

JohnRich needs to worry about the beam in his own eye before motes in the eyes of others.

And John Kallend needs to get working on that future telepathy machine so we can stop those murders regardless of the implement used to commit the crime.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh yeah!

Great post. It shows that firearm crimes and deaths have decreased since 2006. At the same time, the number of firearms owned by civilians has increased dramatically.

Hypothetical quote from kallend, Sept. 10, 2001:
"Yep, all those homicides committed with model airplanes commercial airliners every year - I'm surprised no-one has tried to ban them previously."
Do you believe that just because something has never happened before, that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the possibility?

Oh yeah!

Great post. It shows that firearm crimes and deaths have decreased since 2006. At the same time, the number of firearms owned by civilians has increased dramatically.

Right, now down to infinity times as many homicides last year with firearms as have ever been committed with model airplanes, from a previous ratio of infinity times as many.

Hypothetical quote from kallend, Sept. 10, 2001:
"Yep, all those homicides committed with model airplanes commercial airliners every year - I'm surprised no-one has tried to ban them previously."
Do you believe that just because something has never happened before, that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the possibility?

LEARN SOME HISTORY! Commercial airplanes have frequently been used in homicides prior to 2001. Lockerbie is just one example.

Right, now down to infinity times as many homicides last year with firearms as have ever been committed with model airplanes, from a previous ratio of infinity times as many.

It doesn't matter. Large model airplanes have no legitimate use in our society, no constitutional protections, and should be banned for safety before terrorists abuse them.

News:

"A 26-year-old Massachusetts man with a physics degree was arrested and charged Wednesday with plotting an attack on the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol with a remote-controlled model aircraft, authorities said. Rezwan Ferdaus, a U.S. citizen from Ashland, Massachusetts, planned to use model aircraft filled with C-4 plastic explosives, authorities said..."
Full story: CNN

What a surprise - he wasn't a christian!
And it's a good thing there weren't any model rocket motors involved in this plot.

Hi JR and ya'll,
'Been flyin' model planes since I was old enough to slide the wing into the fuse of a dime store hand toss glider!! 'Built and flown; gum-band stick and tissue, free-flight, control line 1/2A thru class D and lots of R/C both power and gliders!! Reading the replies to this thread would be hilarious if you people are joking?? Are You???

Bill "skybill" Deli AMA-87838
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

It doesn't matter. Large model airplanes have no legitimate use in our society, no constitutional protections, and should be banned for safety before terrorists abuse them.

Think of the children!

Should this be before or after swimming pools and coathangers?

Think of the children!

Children, too.

Think of the children!

Children, too.

agree - children have a HUGE potential for damage/terrorism - BAN THEM

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So, it's increasing then.

like.....double

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Before. Swimming pools let disabled people with joint problems exercise so they don't run up our insurance bills as much from heart disease and would be hard to do away with given the level of government support in the form of public pools. Coat hangers keep your business clothes from getting wrinkled and therefore have a legitimate use. Private citizens have no need for toy planes and rockets, especially large ones which could be used in terrorist attacks.

Before. Swimming pools let disabled people with joint problems exercise so they don't run up our insurance bills as much from heart disease and would be hard to do away with given the level of government support in the form of public pools. Coat hangers keep your business clothes from getting wrinkled and therefore have a legitimate use. Private citizens have no need for toy planes and rockets, especially large ones which could be used in terrorist attacks.

How about toilet seats? They produce injuries and carry contagion, and are physiologically unnecessary. Besides, CHILDREN can fall through them.

Hi John and the rest o ya'll,
'Just wonderin' how many of you Skydivers that posted on this thread have any discernable experience flying model aircraft???...this for starters...... Interesting that this nutter came up with this plan and the Feds played him along. Now all you troops want to ban model airplanes from the face of the earth:D:D. R-I-G-H-T!!!!!! Over on www.rcuniverse.com in the forums section in the "clubhouse" (their version of the Bonfire) there's a thread about this incident. Lots of concern and of course we modelers laugh at this geek wantin' to take a F-4 or F-86 foamie and pack it with "Explosives!!":ph34r::D:D:DB|;););) Kinda like watchin some geek take a Para-foil and think he's gonna' win a pond swoopin' comp. !!!! Good fun ya'll!!

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out