DanJohnson

What do you fear the most?

I fear that the secondary belt on my Fatboy breaking in the middle of nowhere and my cell phone being out of charge.
Not like the good old days. Break the chain? Easy fix. Cut a piece of wire from a fence and away you go!

This is the kinda shit that keeps me up at night. That, and syndication t.v. shows. Ohhhhh the humanity.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

***I fear that the secondary belt on my Fatboy breaking in the middle of nowhere and my cell phone being out of charge.
Not like the good old days. Break the chain? Easy fix. Cut a piece of wire from a fence and away you go!

LOL! I'm with ya'!
One time on the shovelhead and a solo cross country cruise , in Arkinsaw, my chain broke and woke me up!LOL! Extra master linkin my gear, no problem.
But you will feel this kinda kick in the ass thing going on for a while before the belt goes completely out .

Also you know, to convert secondary belt to chain isn't hard at all and doesn't cost all that much don't ya'?

NO FEAR !!!

***I fear that the secondary belt on my Fatboy breaking in the middle of nowhere and my cell phone being out of charge.

LOL! I'm with ya'!
One time on the shovelhead and a solo cross country cruise , in Arkinsaw, my chain broke and woke me up!LOL! Extra master linkin my gear, no problem.
But you will feel this kinda kick in the ass thing going on for a while before they go completely out .

Also you know to convert secondary belt to chain isn't hard at all and doesn't cost all that much don't ya'?

NO FEAR !!!

I have consider doing that.
Back in 95 the belt broke on the 91 Fatboy. Luckily, I was on Highway 270 in St. Louis. Wasn't too far from a phone. Pushed the bike as far as I could. Pre-cell phone days (at least the easy carry types we have today.)
Changing the belt sucks as the swing arm needs to be removed and the primary disassembled. New belt and gasket kit is required. If you are not able to do the work yourself, as I am. It can be very costly. Minus labor, it is still not cheap. Doing it yourself and you're still looking at over $350.00>:(

I just might swap to a chain.

And I was not kidding when I said I fear a belt break.
Neil Young

***Changing the belt sucks as the swing arm needs to be removed and the primary disassembled. New belt and gasket kit is required. If you are not able to do the work yourself, as I am. It can be very costly. Minus labor, it is still not cheap. Doing it yourself and you're still looking at over $350.00>:(

Been their twice brother on my '88 .
Next time I'll replace it early. Before it "goes".

Hey as a side note let me tell you of my great fortune!!!

A couple of weeks ago the bearing between 5th and 4th gear disinegrated!!!

That is great!!!!

Couldn't justify the price of a six speed previously although I've always wanted one and I wanted to switch to a splined clutch hub .

I 'm thinking when I get the bucks together I'll go with the JIMs

I fear others' opinions of me. I realize that's a weakness (if nothing else, generally those opinions aren't too bad, and I'm not that important anyway).

But I've always been that way; haven't been able to fix it yet, although I'm getting better about not caring.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

*** I fear others' opinions of me. I realize that's a weakness (if nothing else, generally those opinions aren't too bad, and I'm not that important anyway).

But I've always been that way; haven't been able to fix it yet, although I'm getting better about not caring.

Wendy , Wendy, Wendy!
I don't know what to say to that other than be yourself!!!!!
Love yourself !!!! Be true to yourself!!!
Don't even consider the opinions of others about yourself !!

For what it's worth I enjoy the levelheadedness of your posts even if sometimes I believe you are 100% wrong! LOL!

You are just fine young lady and don't ever think otherwise!

***Whenever I flush the toilet, I fear someone has wired a bomb into the flush handle and it may explode. I am also afraid there's a bomb in the toilet paper roll.

Don't fear little one!
Simply stop by your local police department daily before you return home , remove your shoes and ask them to inspect them for bombs.

That should alleviate your fears!

Oh wait.., almost forgot....., never leave more than three ounces of mouth wash or conditioner on your counter top!! Very important!!!!

***Changing the belt sucks as the swing arm needs to be removed and the primary disassembled. New belt and gasket kit is required. If you are not able to do the work yourself, as I am. It can be very costly. Minus labor, it is still not cheap. Doing it yourself and you're still looking at over $350.00>:(

That is great!!!!

Couldn't justify the price of a six speed previously although I've always wanted one and I wanted to switch to a splined clutch hub .

It would be cheaper to just do a 5 to 6 conversion kit. Several aftermarket kits are available. Usually includes a spacer for between the case and side door, main and counter shafts, shift fork, fork shafts, bearings, gaskets, needed hardware, and, of course, the gears.
Neil Young

That is great!!!!

It would be cheaper to just do a 5 to 6 conversion kit. Several aftermarket kits are available. Usually includes a spacer for between the case and side door, main and counter shafts, shift fork, fork shafts, bearings, gaskets, needed hardware, and, of course, the gears.

Yeah thanks but and I will be rebuilding this one into a six to go into another bike I've been working on but right now , timewise , I need a complete drop in tranny.

Do you have an opinion as to the Jims vs the Baker?

Do you have an opinion as to the Jims vs the Baker?

Jims is pretty much a Baker as Baker gave license to Jims some years ago to build a 6 speed (license did expire a while back and Jims is on their own now.) Baker was the first to build the 6. Both use Andrews gears. If I were to outright swap, I'd go with the Baker.
Either way you go, you're looking at more than 3K for a Baker 6 speed and more than 2K for a Jims. Baker tends to have a better reputation. Plus they are 100% American made.
Neil Young

LOL! I'm with ya'!
But you will feel this kinda kick in the ass thing going on for a while before the belt goes completely out .

Also you know, to convert secondary belt to chain isn't hard at all and doesn't cost all that much don't ya'?

NO FEAR !!!

Had belt break on my Sportster ... and there was No Warning... just no drive - lucky I was in town but still had to wait 3 hours for recovery and it did cost a fortune to replace... Doesn't scare me but it does piss me off that I'm stranded and can do nowt about it.

But back on topic .. I fear FEAR.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome