d123

conscious

Is it the first thing to do, in order to be in full control: is to believe that you don't have something called "subconscious" that has control over you from time to time and to start looking on how to be 100% in control?

Does it sound logical to you?
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

It sounds logical but it doesn't necessarily make it right.
Depends on what you define as subconscious.
You might be able to think away the notion of subconsciousness, but can you think away hunger, or pain? You might be able to ignore it for a little but not forever.
I consider the subconscious/unconscious to include these biological functions.

Don't be weak in your believes, believe in yourself as a conscious self as much as I believe in you! Hahahaha sounds like religion but is not. I believe that behind *every* action, *every* choice you make, *every* belief you have, that there's a conscien person choosing to do so, doing it's best with what it has :)That there's a manager in you and that manager has full control and no other a silly thing like whatever ... "sub-conscience" ... has control over him.

Don't be weak in your believes, believe in yourself as a conscious self as much as I believe in you! Hahahaha sounds like religion but is not. I believe that behind *every* action, *every* choice you make, *every* belief you have, that there's a conscien person choosing to do so, doing it's best with what it has :)That there's a manager in you and that manager has full control and no other a silly thing like whatever ... "sub-conscience" ... has control over him.

So, an addict chooses to be addicted, a person with OCD chooses to compulsively wash his hands and a person, if he simply wills it, never has to sleep?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is it the first thing to do, in order to be in full control: is to believe that you don't have something called "subconscious" that has control over you from time to time and to start looking on how to be 100% in control?

Depends. What created that subconscious? Nature or Nuture? Did the parents create the right cognitive dissonance to do no harm? Or did the parents bequeathe to you the insecurities of themselves? Maybe subconscious feelings are the things to latch onto as a template of control. Or then, maybe want to dismiss those subconscious pulls. I don't know. I'm stupid drunk right now and it appears that dismissing subconscious pulls instead of aligning them to conscious control is a lose-lose situation. Doing what you feel is right and standing by it with a firm conviction seem more in control than fighting your inner demons.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

That there's a manager in you and that manager has full control and no other a silly thing like whatever ... "sub-conscience" ... has control over him.

I think the first step to control is to recognise what you do not have control over. To simply become conscious of our possible subconscious motives is a step towards this. The mind cannot exist without the body, our thoughts have a pattern driven by evolution. For Freud this included the sexual instinct and also later another instinct he called 'the death drive'. Basically though, technically 'the unconscious' is simply everything that is 'not conscious'. It is everything beyond our conscious minds that influences our thoughts.
It is kind of a paradox though - how can the unconscious exist, when it only exists as posited in our conscious minds? It is a theoretical construct that can help things make sense. It is an idea that you can choose to believe.

to be 100% in control?

It's a fallacy to think that you'll ever be 100% in control.

to be in full control: is to believe that you don't have something called "subconscious"

That is self-deceptive and will actually cause you to have less control over yourself. It's not the repression of your subconscious, but rather it's acceptance that will lead to greater self-awareness, hence greater control. The paradox is that once you admit that your subconscious has some control over you, you can learn from your subconscious and begin to develop your conscious in a way that will minimize this dilemma. A person's state of "emotional health" or "spiritual development" is defined by the degree to which he consciously accepts his subconscious or by the balance between these two behavioural forces.

My subconscious says. . .My wife and daughter can take care of themselves. I'm going to the bar.:P

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The Id, the ego and the superego all defined by Sigmund Freud. These mental states were determined by scientific investigation.

You've got a tough hill to climb if you are going to successfully dispute his findings.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So, an addict chooses to be addicted, a person with OCD chooses to compulsively wash his hands and a person, if he simply wills it, never has to sleep?

Some of the examples given above lead me to believe voluntary versus involuntary are more accurate terms.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Some of the examples given above lead me to believe voluntary versus involuntary are more accurate terms.

Call it what you will, the original poster's position that a person can be in complete control of his actions is inaccurate.
quade -

>an addict chooses to be addicted

An addict chooses to drink or do drugs. They cannot help the cravings (i.e. the addiction.)

>a person with OCD chooses to compulsively wash his hands

A person with OCD chooses to wash his hands. He cannot help the overwhelming desire to do so.

>and a person, if he simply wills it, never has to sleep?

Sleep is, in the end, involuntary, and if you try to stay awake long enough you will fall asleep. So no, that's not a choice people have, any more than they can choose to stop breathing for very long.

If one person, believes that he can be 100% in control and he looks for the moments when he doesn`t have control and he makes a personal effort to try to understand why he doesn`t have the control and he fights to get the control, at the end he`ll be more in control (percentage wise) than an average Joe that just believes that he has a `sub something` that is in control over his choices and that`s just fine.

If one person, believes that he can be 100% in control and he looks for the moments when he doesn`t have control and he makes a personal effort to try to understand why he doesn`t have the control and he fights to get the control, at the end he`ll be more in control (percentage wise) than an average Joe that just believes that he has a `sub something` that is in control over his choices and that`s just fine.

Be that as it may, you'd be hard pressed to explain 100% of the choices you make in life regardless of whether you think you're consciously in control of your actions or not.

In other words, people lie to themselves all the time about their motivations.

Probably the biggest one is who a person falls in love with. It's certainly not a conscious decision. There are ten thousand little preferences developed over the course of one's life from the time they were born until the moment they look at the person across the room and think to themselves, "ok, THAT I like."

Call it what you will, but most people would say it's the subconscious at work.

You may think you're deciding, but you're not.
quade -

No, neither logical nor factual.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What if you can extend our conscious (ourself) to that level?
Around 5 years old I was able to look at one person and make that person or rather attach the conotation of beautiful or ugly to that person and change it as I've please.

Now, if we assume or believe that we can get control over that level of choices (what we love, what we hate) the question is: how do we achieve that from where we are now? What's the road from here? I think that the 1st step is to start believing that we can get control over those parts (feelings, fear, what we like) that have control over us.

And, if there really exists this road, the road that can take us (our conscious part) from where we are to that level of deepness, then this road has to start somewhere in our conscious part and it has to be experienced in 1st person and not in the 3rd person (3rd person - like an outside view).

This is what I think and I'm just looking for some info if anybody else tried to find this road. Anyway, have fun, 1st person! :)

Now, if we assume or believe that we can get control over that level of choices (what we love, what we hate) the question is: how do we achieve that from where we are now?

Except it's an illogical assumption. Think about it for a minute.

If you love something, then you already do. No further choice needs to be made.
If you hate something and "choose" to love it, did you really hate it to begin with?

The same things could be said in the opposite direction. In either case, the choice isn't something you've consciously made, but was made by your unconscious for you.
quade -