jgoose71

Obama to release 30 million barrels of oil from petroleum reserve

>how can it be cheaper to build in china and ship here?

People in China are willing to work for $1 an hour, and no one cares where the bridge is built. Change either of those two things and you could bring some of that work back.

But to do that you have to do things that both sides object to. Want to lower manufacturing costs here in the US? Lower the minimum wage. Allow illegal aliens to work wherever they want for however much they want. Get rid of unions. Come down on Wal-Mart for selling Chinese goods.

Put large tarrifs on any products coming into the US from any company that does not follow US EPA, safety regulations, or labor laws. People on the left should be all over the EPA regulations idea because companies going overseas are not very epa friendly.

>how can it be cheaper to build in china and ship here?

People in China are willing to work for $1 an hour, and no one cares where the bridge is built. Change either of those two things and you could bring some of that work back.

But to do that you have to do things that both sides object to. Want to lower manufacturing costs here in the US? Lower the minimum wage. Allow illegal aliens to work wherever they want for however much they want. Get rid of unions. Come down on Wal-Mart for selling Chinese goods.

Put large tarrifs on any products coming into the US from any company that does not follow US EPA, safety regulations, or labor laws. People on the left should be all over the EPA regulations idea because companies going overseas are not very epa friendly.

Ok dat rite der iz sum funni chit....

Last I checked its the nutbag wing of the rePUBIClown Parti that wants to eliminate all of those silly regulations... for the good of their corporate masters....

everything is going overseas because the business enviroment here is not good. even parts of the new oakland san fran bay bridge is being made in china and shipped here. how can it be cheaper to build in china and ship here? maybe the gov and unions?

the liberal government did this with the regulations ( more coming folks ) , the unions and the democrats= more taxes = less business + more cost
more regulations = less business + more cost

bigger government = less business + more cost more regulations... [:/] get the picture ?

I can not buy the raw product ( steel and aluminum ) as cheap as China can produce and ship the finished product . wake up America stop bigger government.

I understood this long before I had a business. the left is intent on regulating the US into bankrupcy. regulations only work if ALL companies are forced to follow them. the more the epa regulates and the more the unions get the more the companies move overseas. this does not lead to greener products but makes moore polution on the global scale. what good is it lower polutants in the US while bankrupting the US? the products are still being produced with no epa regulations overseas causing more global polution.

>Put large tarrifs on any products coming into the US from any company
>that does not follow US EPA, safety regulations, or labor laws.

Sure, you could do that. But the resultant recession from the loss of free trade would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow. People might prefer the higher standard of living that free trade allows.

>Put large tarrifs on any products coming into the US from any company
>that does not follow US EPA, safety regulations, or labor laws.

Sure, you could do that. But the resultant recession from the loss of free trade would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow. People might prefer the higher standard of living that free trade allows.

Free trade does not allow america to compete with the regulations that we must follow that other countries do not have. we are going broke now, what would be different? are trade deficit is detrimental to our economy and causing damage to business also.

>are trade deficit is detrimental to our economy and causing damage to
>business also.

Agreed. But protectionism, I think, has been shown to be even worse.

correct b ut we can not kill every idea, we need to adopt a couple and see what happens. Some will hurt other countries but what good will we be if we keep on the currant track?

>are trade deficit is detrimental to our economy and causing damage to
>business also.

Agreed. But protectionism, I think, has been shown to be even worse.

correct b ut we can not kill every idea, we need to adopt a couple and see what happens. Some will hurt other countries but what good will we be if we keep on the currant track?

Good Eatin

:ph34r:

Haha, I believe Americans have forgotten to be American.

More legislation is not American, the market responds to the consumers.

The problem is that people are too selfish to simply help their fellow countrymen.

If you purchase a toy for you child for Christmas, your child wants the biggest box, any you want to pay the least for it.

If we all started buying American products, then the demand for American made would grow and would stimulate growth in the US manufacturing sector.

If we all continue to save $0.80 on that $6 product rather than supporting the local community then the Chinese win, simple.

Think globally, act locally!

We are giving it to them; it is our selfishness that we have to blame, not the government, not the Chinese, not anyone but ourselves.

So try to source American products where possible. Little changes make a huge difference. Start with the flag you fly at the front door, I bet many of those are made in China…LOL
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

>The problem is that people are too selfish to simply help their fellow countrymen.

Or, to put it another way - the people are capitalists.

>If we all continue to save $0.80 on that $6 product rather than supporting
>the local community then the Chinese win, simple.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's more often the choice between a $6 product and a $1.99 one.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's more often the choice between a $6 product and a $1.99 one.

After you have replaced that $1.99 one 4 times because it keeps breaking, then you would have been better off just supporting your country in the first place.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

>After you have replaced that $1.99 one 4 times because it keeps
>breaking, then you would have been better off just supporting your country
>in the first place.

In many cases, yes. But for someone who is short of cash and can afford the $1.99 diapers but not the $6 ones, the cheaper ones win.

Shouldn't they use non-disposable diapers because they are cheaper in the long run? And shouldn't they be supporting the US by buying US-made diapers? And shouldn't they be shopping carefully to ensure that they are made by a company worth supporting, a local one who is good to their employees? Yes. But that's a lot of capitalism you have to fight against to make that happen.

After you have replaced that $1.99 one 4 times because it keeps breaking, then you would have been better off just supporting your country in the first place.

In many cases, the $1.99 item is the only choice. All the $6 items made in the U.S. are no longer there because they went out of business.

Here is one for you. Go to some of your local stores and try to find some pool toys that say "made in the USA" on them. They don't exist anymore.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

In many cases, the $1.99 item is the only choice. All the $6 items made in the U.S. are no longer there because they went out of business. they moved their production offshore to remain competitive

I know the economic ABC's but it s us that can make the difference.

You are correct in saying that many things cannot be sourced from US manufacturers anymore, but many can, but people still decide to save a little in the short term.

It is we that can tell the corporations what to do by changing our habits.

They want to save money but they also want profit.
If the Chinese stuff is still on the shelf they wont re-order more...

Unfortunately it is the U.S. stuff that is left on the shelf.

That is our fault, not theirs.

That's capitalism for ya.
Ron Paul

In many cases, the $1.99 item is the only choice. All the $6 items made in the U.S. are no longer there because they went out of business. they moved their production offshore to remain competitive

You are correct in saying that many things cannot be sourced from US manufacturers anymore, but many can, but people still decide to save a little in the short term.

You're being unrealistic. Part of capitalism is supply and demand. Most people are still feeling the effects of the recession - unemployed, under-employed, living from paycheck to paycheck, one layoff away from disaster, etc. Consumer spending is very flat right now because, financially, people are very cautious, and a lot of people are scared. In that environment, people do everything they can to save money, and if that means saving 10-15% for Chinese goods at WalMart, so be it.

"Changing habits" - buying local instead of Chinese, being Green, buying organic foodstuffs, etc. - is good goal, but for many people, it's simply an unaffordable luxury until the economy gets a whole lot better. And until it does, we really don't have the right to morally judge those who buy cheap goods as part of their daily struggle to stay afloat.

You're being unrealistic. Part of capitalism is supply and demand. Most people are still feeling the effects of the recession - unemployed, under-employed, living from paycheck to paycheck, one layoff away from disaster, etc. Consumer spending is very flat right now because, financially, people are very cautious, and a lot of people are scared. In that environment, people do everything they can to save money, and if that means saving 10-15% for Chinese goods at WalMart, so be it.

"Changing habits" - buying local instead of Chinese, being Green, buying organic foodstuffs, etc. - is good goal, but for many people, it's simply an unaffordable luxury until the economy gets a whole lot better. And until it does, we really don't have the right to morally judge those who buy cheap goods as part of their daily struggle to stay afloat.

The mentality of the average American consumer in a nutshell. The economy would get better sooner if people would buy American products, but they can't afford to until the economy gets better. Great summation, have you ever thought of becoming a lawyer?

>The economy would get better sooner if people would buy American products

And gas prices would go down if people stopped buying SUV's and trucks for personal transportation.
And electricity prices would go down, and get more reliable, if people bought the most efficient appliances they could.
And electricity prices would go down even more if everyone put a solar power system on their house.
And the roads would be safer if everyone bought lower-CG cars with ESC and antilock brakes.
And traffic would go down - and gas prices would go down - if everyone bought a house within 5 miles of work and biked there instead of driving.

But often people can't afford that, or they don't want to do that. And so they buy what they can afford, and what they want. Even non lawyers.

>The economy would get better sooner if people would buy American products

And gas prices would go down if people stopped buying SUV's and trucks for personal transportation.

I see a lot less SUV's on the road today than I did 6 years ago and gas prices have gone up. So much for that theory.

And electricity prices would go down, and get more reliable, if people bought the most efficient appliances they could.

People have slowly replaced appliances with more energy efficient one. 2009 and 2010 had many tax credits to encourage people to do just that. Yet electric prices haven't gone down. So much for that theory.

And electricity prices would go down even more if everyone put a solar power system on their house.
And the roads would be safer if everyone bought lower-CG cars with ESC and antilock brakes.

I think that's occured too. Most people don't even know how to drive properly with anti-lock brakes. So much for that theory.

And traffic would go down - and gas prices would go down - if everyone bought a house within 5 miles of work and biked there instead of driving.

Now if we can just get their employers to move closer to their employees.

But often people can't afford that, or they don't want to do that. And so they buy what they can afford, and what they want. Even non lawyers.

Often people can afford what's really important to them if it's important enough. Sometimes it requires sacrifice in another area. How many times 10 years ago did you hear a skydiviver claim they couldn't afford a Cypres but they could afford to do 500 jumps a year. Funny how most skydivers have them now isn't it?

>I see a lot less SUV's on the road today than I did 6 years ago and gas
>prices have gone up.

And if they stopped buying them altogether, demand would go down (temporarily.) But since they are buying more of them, it's not.

===========
Chris Isidore
March 1, 2011: 5:35 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Rising gas prices did not keep Americans from buying large pickups and SUVs in February, according to sales results from leading automakers.

Industrywide U.S. auto sales shot up 27% compared to a year ago according to sales tracker Autodata. That's well above forecasts of about a 19% increase. The sales rate was the best since the Cash for Clunkers program, and at that pace, sales could reach 13.4 million vehicles over a full year.

The month was particularly strong for the sale of light trucks, such as pickups, vans and SUVs, even in the face of higher gas prices. Truck sales rose 32% and had the best sales rate since before the financial meltdown.
===========

But since people like you don't care about gas prices, they keep going up.

>People have slowly replaced appliances with more energy efficient one.

"Slowly" being the key word there; people are still buying GE over Sunfrost. But I guess as long as people like you don't care about energy prices, they will keep going up.

>Now if we can just get their employers to move closer to their
>employees.

It's a lot easier to move a home with 4 people in it than a factory with 4000. But as long as people like you don't care about gas prices or traffic, both will continue to get worse.

See how easy it is to blame other people for your problems?

Quite right. My huge SUV doesn't suck enough gas. I'm looking into buying either a school bus or a dump truck. Which do you think uses more gas?

I'm just trying to do my part to use up our oil as quickly as possible so we can get on to alternative energy sources. Conwerving only prolongs the inevitable. I'm shocked you don't approve.

>Quite right. My huge SUV doesn't suck enough gas. I'm looking into
>buying either a school bus or a dump truck.

A Chinese dump truck would be ideal.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Chinese model and the one from India. The Chinese company will offer me great financing options. :P

I'm having trouble deciding between the Chinese model and the one from India. The Chinese company will offer me great financing options. :P

I heard the one from India comes with telephone technical support from guys who claim their name is Bob, Jim or Dave.

James

I heard the one from India comes with telephone technical support from guys who claim their name is Bob, Jim or Dave.

James

What the hell happened to Peggy? Did she get fired for the sex change? There's protection under federal law for that you know. Oh, wait.... she's off-shore. Damn the bad luck. :P

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."