dreamdancer

Starting over: Choosing my religion

interesting...

What form would the ideal religion take? Some might argue that instead of redesigning religion, we should get rid of it. But it is good for some things: religious people are happier and healthier, and religion offers community. Besides, secularism has passed its zenith, according to Jon Lanman, who studies atheism at the University of Oxford. In a globalised world, he says, migrations and economic instability breed fear, and when people's values feel under threat, religion thrives.

Today's religions come in four flavours, according to Harvey Whitehouse, also at Oxford. First, the "sacred party", such as incense burning, bell ringing and celestial choral music in Catholicism. Second, "therapy": for example, the practices of healing and casting out devils among some evangelical Christians. Third, "mystical quest", such as the Buddhist quest for nirvana. And finally, "school": detailed study of the Koran in Islam or reading the Torah in Judaism.

While each appeals to a different sort of person, they all tap into basic human needs and desires, so a new world religion would have a harmonious blend of them all: the euphoria and sensual trappings of a sacred party, the sympathy and soothing balms of therapy, the mysteries and revelations of an eternal journey and the nurturing, didactic atmosphere of a school.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20292-starting-over-choosing-my-religion.html
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Just an observation-but wouldn't choosing a religion involve thinking for yourself?

Thinking for yourself is a really good idea. We were all taught that as children. Remember when you did some dumb "because Jimmy did it"? Your Mom said, "Well, what if Jimmy ran out into the road to play in the traffic? Would you do that too? You need to think for yourself." I guess some of us never really learned that lesson.

My Mom said, "If Jimmy jumped of an airplane, would you do it too?"
"Well, Mom..."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

By all means.. go for it.... I am sure you would be welcomed with open arms at the Great Mosque of Gaza..:ph34r:

Have you ,Amazon, ever been denied access to a mosque or ever been in a mosque where you were made to feel unwelcome?

I'll bet not!!

Peace,
Jim B.

...that's me in the spot light...

I chose Jedi. It's on my facebook.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

By all means.. go for it.... I am sure you would be welcomed with open arms at the Great Mosque of Gaza..:ph34r:

Have you ,Amazon, ever been denied access to a mosque or ever been in a mosque where you were made to feel unwelcome?

I'll bet not!!

Peace,
Jim B.

As a woman???? You SOOOO do not want me to answer that one.... but I bet you might be able to guess:S:S:S