Andy9o8

SCOTUS Allows Westboro Church to Protest Funerals

Note this is an 8-1 decision, spanning the full ideological spectrum of the Court, with the Court's opinion being issued by Chief Justice Roberts. The sole dissenter was Alito.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/

"What Westboro said, in the whole context of how and where it chose to say it, is entitled to 'special protection' under the First Amendment," Roberts wrote, "and that protection cannot be overcome by a jury finding that the picketing was outrageous."

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," the court's decision said.

Unfortunately, The SCOTUS decision was predictable. Amendment I protects those who speak what we do not want to hear.

On the upside, the Patriot Guard Riders is a strong, positive, uplifting response to Westboro Baptist Church. PGR will grow stronger and WBC will sink further into degradation and ridicule. They will still have to obey local ordinances and laws concerning how close they can assemble. PGR will continue to be the buffer against their demonic forces.

Current membership in the PGR, 215,000+.

PGR - Keep On Keeping On and Ride Strong
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Unfortunately, The SCOTUS decision was predictable. Amendment I protects those who speak what we do not want to hear.

On the upside, the Patriot Guard Riders is a strong, positive, uplifting response to Westboro Baptist Church. PGR will grow stronger and WBC will sink further into degradation and ridicule. They will still have to obey local ordinances and laws concerning how close they can assemble. PGR will continue to be the buffer against their demonic forces.

Current membership in the PGR, 215,000+.

PGR - Keep On Keeping On and Ride Strong

Hopefully that buffer will be enough. I’m afraid it won’t be. I fear Albert Snyder may be right when he says “someone is going to get hurt”.

Albert Snyder: Well there's not much we can do about it anymore. When the government won't do anything about it, and the courts give us no remedy, then people are going to start taking matters into their own hands. And believe me someone is going to get hurt. And when the blood starts flowing, let it be on the Supreme Court Justices' hands.

[Unfortunately, The SCOTUS decision was predictable. Amendment I protects those who speak what we do not want to hear.

"Unfortunately"??????

FORTUNATELY - The SCOTUS decision upheld the constitution. We still have the occasional decision that follows the process.

no matter how terrible the specific scenario - they stuck with the law in terms of free speech anyway. Especially while all 3 branch seem to just be pissing on the constitution just to express pandering to public opinion.

What I don't get is Alito's dissent. How can a Supreme Court Justice not uphold the constitution? Is he running for the legislature later? (rationalization does NOT equal interpretation)

I hate what Phelp$ Co is doing, but you can't take rights from citizens. Some other accommodation needs to happen to deal with this scum, ignoring the constitution isn't the way to do it.

The PGR response is hopefully legal and effective - more power to them to succeed.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

[Unfortunately, The SCOTUS decision was predictable. Amendment I protects those who speak what we do not want to hear.

"Unfortunately"??????

FORTUNATELY - The SCOTUS decision upheld the constitution. We still have the occasional decision that follows the process.

You're right, my bad, wrong word.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Yes. The Eldest Daughter of Rev Wright is the lead Attorney for most of the cases, they sue in Civil Court for Damages and Violation of Rights.

Matt

It is the Phelps family, not Wright, and I refuse to call someone who spews the hate they do Reverend.

Yes, My mistake, I was reading two threads at once and posting in only one.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

You should not brand all religions as evil because of the actions of the few Westboro Baptist folks.

True, but:

The Crusades

French Wars of Religion

Thirty Years War

Taiping Rebellion

The Inquisition

Islamic extremists

The list of evil things done in the name of 'god' is quite long and just keeps going.

A thorough study of history would reveal that there were ulterior motives to these things. The people responsible were going to be assholes anyway, and they just waved the flag of religion. The religion isn't what caused the assholes to be assholes.

You take away religion, and you still get destructive, power-hungry assholes.

Someone should write a book on Assholism Through the Ages.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I boldly choose to stand peacefully holding my Flag, facing with respect and honor, the flag draped coffin before me!

When necessary I become a shield for the family of a fallen Hero while turning my back on the vilest of humanity! They're not worthy of anything more.

Who am I? I AM A PATRIOT GUARD RIDER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYfSG4VYBA

God is the reason for acting? I thought you didn't believe in God, therefor he could not be a reason for acting.

Nice try, but we are not discussing ME. We are discussing people who DO believe in a God and ACT on that belief.

I thought you believed in people being responsible for their own actions?

I do, you don't see me excusing those people based on the reason they did the act... So another swing and a miss.

If that is the case, you cannot blame God or religion for people's actions.

Maybe YOU can't. But I can clearly blame a preacher that tells his followers to kill Bob based on something he claims God said. If it were not for the belief in a God... the person would not have committed the crime.

Just as you cannot blame the guns.

You can't blame the gun.... No more that you can blame a pencil for writing a bad paper. But you seem to want to blame spoons for people being fat, pencils for misspellings, cars for drunk driving.... Etc.

I blame the person for their actions, not the object.... You want to blame the object.