loumeinhart

alternet says people who want babies are crazy

Thought I'd check out dreamdancer's playground and found some interesting stuff!

The desire to remain child-free hit me suddenly sometime in college. Sort of like my addiction to Mountain Dew and Japanese game shows. The reasons are many:

First, as the oldest of my family’s seven kids, I’ve already changed way more than my fair share of diapers.

Second, instead of spending Saturday mornings watching Ted Jr. strike out at Little League games, I’d much rather watch those Japanese contestants humiliate themselves on TV.

And even those crazy people who do want kids are making fewer of them. Earlier this year, the National Center for Health Statistics revealed that the U.S. birth rate is the lowest it’s been in a century: a mere 13.5 bloody, oozing births for every 1,000 people. The tanking economy is one of the biggest reasons -- baby food is freaking expensive.

http://www.alternet.org/reproductivejustice/149518/why_i_got_a_vasectomy_at_28

mission accomplished

Uhh, actually I wasn't on a mission, I decided to check out alternet.com on my own and found something profound.. the opinion that people who want to have babies are "crazy". To me that kind of goes against the human condition of reproduction. Maybe that's why it's called alternet.

(ps. i've had a vasectomy and it didn't hurt... much)

Thank your dad for not getting a vasectomy, because you would never have gotten the chance to skydive.

It hurt infinitely more the wearing a condom.

condoms are yucky things - and my wife agrees. and now she doesn't have to take those funny pills every day.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

and now she doesn't have to take those funny pills every day.

So should your parents have done the same?

well, my dad died at age 27 when i was 7. my mum had 4 boys (i'm the eldest) and i don't think my philandering stepfather ever thought beyond the end of his cock. meanwhile my two little ones are fine and healthy and turning out to be more than a match for their old dad :)

well, my dad died at age 27 when i was 7. my mum had 4 boys (i'm the eldest) and i don't think my philandering stepfather ever thought beyond the end of his cock. meanwhile my two little ones are fine and healthy and turning out to be more than a match for their old dad

I wasn't looking for a diary. Again: Should your parents have done the same?

well, my dad died at age 27 when i was 7. my mum had 4 boys (i'm the eldest) and i don't think my philandering stepfather ever thought beyond the end of his cock. meanwhile my two little ones are fine and healthy and turning out to be more than a match for their old dad

seems like you invited this TMI moment.

seems like you invited this TMI moment.

Who cares? BORING!
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I don't want kids. I guess the maternal instinct was excised from my genome. Luckily, I snagged a great guy that doesn't want them either. I don't think people who want them are crazy...well...maybe a little bit:P. I wouldn't label it as a 'bad' crazy though, but to me, it is a little crazy to be responsible for the wellbeing of human life that you made. To me, that is extremely overwhelming, and not something that I am personally interested in.

My point is that 'crazy' can be highly subjective.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

To me that kind of goes against the human condition of reproduction. Maybe that's why it's called alternet.

The human condition? You mean every other living creature's condition.

It's not very complicated to realize that earth has finite resources, it's also not that difficult to see that the way humans reproduce will end up consuming said resources. And resources aside, simple living space would eventually run out too.

People talk about reproduction being mankind's purpose, you're put here to breed, etc. Well great, if your purpose is to over-populate and destroy a planet in turn. In 2050 the estimated population will be at 10 billion, do you really think we need more people in a world that is already suffering so? Are you thinking you may give birth to that miracle child that will ship humans to another planet to destroy that one too?

I don't see how anyone can even argue with the logic that reproducing is bad for the planet... On a smaller scale it's no different than a cage of mice who breed and breed, soon there'd be no space left and no food for them.

I don't see people who want babies as crazy, I just see their act as slightly selfish and thoughtless, though that's just my view- And I understand the inherit nature of wanting to breed, it's instinct, but not all instinct is good instinct, maybe at one stage it was. A tiny percentage of human beings actually make a contribution to the advancement of society or man kind that outweighs the damages they do in terms of pollution and resources used.

I've mentioned this before, but why is it that when humans want to breed it's beautiful, natural and must be encouraged. Yet when certain animals do it they must be culled for potential dangers. How can one not see that the destruction humans have on resources and the planet in general is far worse than some rabbits.

Though I stand here with an open mind, if someone feels they can convince me why having a child is a good idea (besides some selfish fulfilment, and without any religious ideals) and why it should be seen as a bad thing when one doesn't support child birth, when we already have a huge population. Please feel free to say so. I'm all ears.

Tell me how the positives outweigh the negatives, without using lines like "They make me happy", "Life is beautiful" etc.

Absolulety. I thought Alternet's opinion was a little strange. Most animals like to fuck and fucking leads to babies, and that doesn't mean you're crazy. At 10Billion in 2050 there are going to be some problems and I'm not sure if I want to bring a life onto this planet so they can wander around and say "this blows"

I think it's funny when some claim to have it all figured out.

Absolulety. I thought Alternet's opinion was a little strange. Most animals like to fuck and fucking leads to babies.

not if you've had a vasectomy...

Absolulety. I thought Alternet's opinion was a little strange. Most animals like to fuck and fucking leads to babies.

not if you've had a vasectomy...

That's the most intelligent idea I've heard all day.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Though I stand here with an open mind, if someone feels they can convince me why having a child is a good idea (besides some selfish fulfilment, and without any religious ideals) and why it should be seen as a bad thing when one doesn't support child birth, when we already have a huge population. Please feel free to say so. I'm all ears.

Nothing Else Matters

Welcome back to reality my friend...:)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...