kallend

Spelling is important.

>Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not
>drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

Given that he puts it at the end of every one of his posts specifically to ridicule another poster, and given that he is actually incorrect - not so much about context anymore.

sure, at this point it's a pissing match. But it's a two sided pissing match since Kallend won't let go of it either.

I don't put it at the end of every post, and besides, I am correct.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In one of my educational misadventures I spent a semester at Warnbourgh (sp?--no joke!) College in Oxford, England. (No relation to Oxford University, although the professors were also Oxford dons.) There I learned, to my astonishment, that the spelling and pronunciation of many common English words was changed arbitrarily in the Elizabethan Age by scholars who were attempting to convince their contemporaries on the Continent that the origin of English was Greek and Latin. For example, "wife" and "knife" originally had two syllables; the "kn" came to be pronounced as "n" to connect it with Greek where no such connection existed. In fact, in the original Anglo-Saxon, every letter in the word "knight" was pronounced. Thus the very great advantage of having letters that represented sounds was thrown out the window for the sake of the ego of some scholars, making the current English language unnecessarily difficult. Shakespeare lampooned this trend in "Love's Labour's Lost". Thus, in English, spelling is a convention, nothing more. And worse, many of these conventions are foolish.

Please excuse my misspellings.

Can we take it, then, that you approve of the spelling highlighted in the OP?

>Or one could actually read for context (Reagan Administration) and not
>drag out the obvious over a semantics concern.

Given that he puts it at the end of every one of his posts specifically to ridicule another poster, and given that he is actually incorrect - not so much about context anymore.

Is ridiculing another poster in EVERY post allowed under forum rules?

>Is ridiculing another poster in EVERY post allowed under forum rules?

Usually no, the 'threads about another poster' note at the top of this forum applies. But given that he's more ridiculing himself, I didn't consider it a post attacking anyone else. It would be like a .sig that said "Kallend cant spel!"

>Is ridiculing another poster in EVERY post allowed under forum rules?

Usually no, the 'threads about another poster' note at the top of this forum applies. But given that he's more ridiculing himself, I didn't consider it a post attacking anyone else. It would be like a .sig that said "Kallend cant spel!"

No, Kallend can spell, but like most that critisize spelling on this forum can't come up with a good argument to disspell the facts (or thoughts) presented to them so they only thing left is to critisize the spelling. If we had one week that nobody could comment on spelling the left leaners here wouldn't have much to say.

Bill, for one week consider spelling comments as personal attacks and erase them and lets see what happens.

Nietzsch

Nietzsche.

So you are saying "Potatoe" may be correct?:ph34r:

How about if it is spelled right but the reader can not say it correctly?

Corpsman comes to mind:ph34r:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

No, I'm actually more in your camp. Spelling does count insofar as communication is important. I hoped to offer a more sympathetic point of view to the discussion. Special words, meanings, spellings, pronunciations, etc. are a powerful way of creating and maintaining social strata. E.g., when a West Pointer says "cow" he or she may be speaking of a cadet. Is this a good thing? Probably not outside of Thayer Gate. But again, I didn't mean to argue against you. Nevertheless you might ask yourself what you hoped to gain by pointing it out in an international forum where you are already known as an intelligent person.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Nevertheless you might ask yourself what you hoped to gain by pointing it out in an international forum where you are already known as an intelligent person.

I thought the clip in the OP was funny.

Apparently it touched some raw nerves in SC. Perhaps I should have put in Bonfire.