kallend

Best and worst jobs

>as well as, electricians, plumbers . . .

And riggers! Don't forget riggers. Those bloodthirsty vampires add insult to injury by having the gall to charge you _more_ after you have a malfunction.

That would be a great excersize . . .

Lets figure out what Belgian Draft thinks is an acceptable salary for himself. Convert that using hours spent rigging, tools, training hours, repairing and repacking his reserve. And see how much that packjob is really worth to him and what it really costs.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Remember...he doesn't do any underwater welding, which cuts what he's worth nearly in half! If ya' don't do the hard stuff, then ya' get paid less for the easy stuff. Does he work nights and weekends?

And is he on call 24 hours a day?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

[I am very claustrophobic and would never do well in an underwater welding environment, wet or dry. I also do not take well to water.

Really? Unusual for a skydiver, many are as attracted to the water as we are the sky! both fluid enviroments...

My Best friend, (Nam Vet) learn underwater welding while serving, we scuba'd together, but he was killed before he had a chance to teach me underwater welding..

Really? Unusual for a skydiver, many are as attracted to the water as we are the sky! both fluid enviroments...

I have developed a phobia of natural waters, and anything manmade in water. I love swimming in my mom's pool, but I can't go near that filter! Thing's creepy.

And don't even try getting me to swim in a lake, pond, creek, canal, or (worst) quarry.

Oceans I can (kind of) do.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

Remember...he doesn't do any underwater welding, which cuts what he's worth nearly in half! If ya' don't do the hard stuff, then ya' get paid less for the easy stuff. Does he work nights and weekends?

And is he on call 24 hours a day?

linz

Maybe you call laying on your back in a muddy ditch freezing your ass off easy, but most people don't. Been there, done that, don't miss it.
I am a business owner. That means I am on call 24/7 including holidays AND during "vacation".
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>Maybe you call laying on your back in a muddy ditch freezing your ass
>off easy, but most people don't.

And maybe you like hauling a 230lb smelly fireplug of a guy to an airplane door while he's sitting on your lap, but most people don't. I should make as much as you do when I do tandems.

>Maybe you call laying on your back in a muddy ditch freezing your ass
>off easy, but most people don't.

And maybe you like hauling a 230lb smelly fireplug of a guy to an airplane door while he's sitting on your lap, but most people don't. I should make as much as you do when I do tandems.

Damn, Bill! I was thinking about getting the guy onto the helicopter, intubated, so he doesn't DIE! But you were just talking about fun stuff...lol. Doesn't matter if it's COLD and rainy, for heaven's sake. Ya' do what ya' gotta do to keep 'em alive! But of course, if I were a welder, the stakes would be just as high...lol.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

A bad carpenter can still build useful objects. I'm proof of this. But a hack of a doctor - what can he do?

A bad doctor buries his mistakes.

That way they don't have to admit they made one. ;)
HAMMER:

A bad carpenter can still build useful objects. I'm proof of this. But a hack of a doctor - what can he do?

LOL..that's funny. We have a weekly meeting set aside just to discuss our mistakes...M&M conference (morbidity and mortality conference). What we do is REAL, and most of us admit our mistakes openly. We like to improve from our own and others' mistakes. Sometimes we can't do better than we did. People get sick, and people die. But we do what we can to improve our own outcomes! Do you? Or maybe, in your line of work, it just isn't that big of a deal...lol.
--

This thread is great; kind of like the ball in a pinball machine -- goes all over the place, every now and then it dings, and every time you think it's going to go down the tubes, a masterful stroke (post) resurrects it :D

BTW, diamond miners are the most important, because without diamonds young men couldn't make noisy materialistic women happy; then the young men won't get laid, and they'll be violent, and the noisy materialistic women will be noisy and obnoxious, and the world will suck.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

LOL..that's funny. We have a weekly meeting set aside just to discuss our mistakes...M&M conference (morbidity and mortality conference). What we do is REAL, and most of us admit our mistakes openly. We like to improve from our own and others' mistakes. Sometimes we can't do better than we did. People get sick, and people die. But we do what we can to improve our own outcomes! Do you? Or maybe, in your line of work, it just isn't that big of a deal...lol.

I have no doubt doctors discuss their mistakes among themselves. They just don't like that information made public. Maybe a scorecard should be posted in every doctors office. Categorize it: Lives saved, Lives that couldn't be saved, and Lives lost due to mistakes.
Yes, the welding industry continuously strives to improve our services. And, just so you don't think my scorecard suggestion is off the wall, in many applications we are required to NDT every weld and to keep those results available for review. More than one contractor keeps a summary of those results posted for anyone to see.
I am only citing the welding industry as a comparison becaue it is what I know. There are many other industries that could be used to show that doctors and surgeons are not the only ones who hold peoples lives in their hands, just the most visible.
HAMMER:

Well, keep on welding, Sweetie! Eventually you'll justify that juvenile hard-on. In the meantime, the rest of us will be working at REAL jobs.
--

Well, keep on welding, Sweetie! Eventually you'll justify that juvenile hard-on. In the meantime, the rest of us will be working at REAL jobs.

Without welders the world would be a very different (and more unpleasant) place. Discounting welders is as silly as discounting MDs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

She called me Sweetie :)
HAMMER:

Not to many jobs that could be discounted.
House cat trainer is one that comes to mind.

Rivets noisy. :(
Welding quieter. :)Subarc VERY quiet! B|

HAMMER:

Gas welding - medium

You must have forgotten that one.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gas welding - medium

You must have forgotten that one.

Quietest: Diffusion welding.
Noisiest: Explosion welding (But REALLY cool! B|)
HAMMER: