kallend

Best and worst jobs

What keeps the gas from blowing the weld out as it's being made?

Magic! B|

Not really. It is actually a matter of physics. First, keep in mind that the strength of the pipe was selected with a safety factor in mind...it has "reserve strength". Second, the area to be welded is completely inspected to be certain there are no discontnuities that could lead to rupture if welded on. Third, the weld process and parameters are chosen so as to maximize fusion with no more penetration than is needed. Fusion area is what matters, not penetration. Last, but by no means least, is that while the outside of the pipe is being taken to a molten state in a small localized region, the gas flowing through the pipe is acting as a coolant on the inside. This effect can be so great that sometimes the hardest part of the job is preheating the pipe so a weld can be made that won't cool too fast and trap hydrogen in the steel and result in cracking.
Done right it is very reliable and safe. Done wrong...:(

Ah...so you're welding something on the OUTSIDE of the pipe - when you said 'hot tap', I thought something like another pipe joining into the existing one, or something of that nature.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I like these threads, they are so painful I can't stand it

My job is (insert what the hell ever) and it's IMPORTANT - we EARN our money. Everyone else sucks.

Agree that your job is important - you should get MORE MONEY. But mine doesn't suck - all the rest do, except yours, and mine.

((((technical blather and details)))))

Only (whatever) works hard, they should get MORE MONEY

blah
blah
blah

supply and demand people - everybody works hard and everybody wants more than the other guy - it doesn't matter if it's super hard or someone puts in a ton of hours, or even it's "fair" by one person's nutty subjective standard

so what's the point of the thread so far? who's trying to prove what?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sorry, anyway you look at it... in the end, a welders expertise is NOT as valuable as a surgeons expertise.

Since I've never had surgery, I'd say that welders have had far more impact on my life than surgeons.

uhg....

I've also never had surgery... but I have cashiers, cooks, waiters etc.. service me every day, maybe their training and expertise is as valuable too right? :S

Bad service in a restaurant or bank does not generally have the same negative impact as bad welds in a nuclear power plant or bad welds in the front forks of a motorbike.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Magic! B|

Not really. It is actually a matter of physics. First, keep in mind that the strength of the pipe was selected with a safety factor in mind...it has "reserve strength". Second, the area to be welded is completely inspected to be certain there are no discontnuities that could lead to rupture if welded on. Third, the weld process and parameters are chosen so as to maximize fusion with no more penetration than is needed. Fusion area is what matters, not penetration. Last, but by no means least, is that while the outside of the pipe is being taken to a molten state in a small localized region, the gas flowing through the pipe is acting as a coolant on the inside. This effect can be so great that sometimes the hardest part of the job is preheating the pipe so a weld can be made that won't cool too fast and trap hydrogen in the steel and result in cracking.

Ah...so you're welding something on the OUTSIDE of the pipe - when you said 'hot tap', I thought something like another pipe joining into the existing one, or something of that nature.

It is.
A hot tap is a method of attaching another pipe, fitting, valve, etc. to an existing pipe that is in use without relieving pressure, draining, or stopping flow. There are a few cases where welding is prohibited such as high pressures, substances that can become unstable from the heat, etc. Nothing quite like welding on a big ol' pipe full of gasoline! B|
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

My job is (insert what the hell ever) and it's IMPORTANT - we EARN our money. Everyone else sucks.

Agree that your job is important - you should get MORE MONEY. But mine doesn't suck - all the rest do, except yours, and mine.

blah
blah
blah

supply and demand people - everybody works hard and everybody wants more than the other guy - it doesn't matter if it's super hard or someone puts in a ton of hours, or even it's "fair" by one person's nutty subjective standard

Fact is, Bill, that some jobs have been placed on a pedestal while others, on which our society depends very heavily, are discounted.

blah
blah
blah

It's a pissing contest.
Fill yer hands you SOB and commence emptying yer bladder!
HAMMER:

Magic! B|

It is.
A hot tap is a method of attaching another pipe, fitting, valve, etc. to an existing pipe that is in use without relieving pressure, draining, or stopping flow. There are a few cases where welding is prohibited such as high pressures, substances that can become unstable from the heat, etc. Nothing quite like welding on a big ol' pipe full of gasoline! B|

Ok, you cut a hole in an active pipe, stuck in another pipe, but the gas/liquid that is flowing out around the new pipe isn't going to catch on fire or blow the slag puddle out of the weld?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It is interesting to note that the jobs we have put on a pedestal are relative newcomers. Lawyers have been around for only a few hundred years, doctors who can actually help a patient even less. Society could continue even if they all quit working. Not to say we wouldn't suffer, but we would go on.
Meanwhile, the trades that are the oldest are often looked down upon. Farmers and hunters/fishermen are mostly underpaid and overworked. Yet if all of them were to quit their jobs...where would the other 95% of the population get their food? They wouldn't and most likely without farmers and hunters/fishermen most of the worlds people would die of starvation within a few months.
HAMMER:

Magic! B|

It is.

Ok, you cut a hole in an active pipe, stuck in another pipe, but the gas/liquid that is flowing out around the new pipe isn't going to catch on fire or blow the slag puddle out of the weld?

A special fitting is welded onto the pipe. In some cases it is like a clamshell and ecloses the full circumference. Once the welding is finished a holesaw like device inside the fitting is used to cut a hole into the existing pipe. A valve between the new hole and the saw is shut to seal the pipe, the saw removed, and whatever attachment is desired is attached. The valve is then reopened.
This explains the process and has some pics.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.easervices.com/images/ls4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.easervices.com/tap.htm&usg=__02WzXxErGEgQxbKkc-TZCZ_HEHI=&h=853&w=640&sz=102&hl=en&start=9&sig2=URrXzi7fUDxV2C9nE7s2YQ&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=wCP4LzWHyZTFHM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhot%2Btap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=AQkpTaniMMOC8gbSmtiJCg
HAMMER:

I appreciate the info - that makes a lot more sense.

I should have posted a link to begin with. My apologies.
HAMMER:

Lawyers have been around for only a few hundred years

Closer to 2,000 years. Ancient Athens.
Now back to our show.

Oldest occupation in the world . . .

Oh wait that is prostitu . . . Meh - Mostly the same thing.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Cooks, janitors, cashiers, dishwasher, welders, surgeons,... all are important in their own way. When it comes to value in training required to gain the knowledge and expertise needed to perform those jobs the surgeons out weigh the other fields in end-value of training/expertise.. there by making their services more valuable.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Cooks, janitors, cashiers, dishwasher, welders, surgeons,... all are important in their own way. When it comes to value in training required to gain the knowledge and expertise needed to perform those jobs the surgeons out weigh the other fields in end-value of training/expertise.. there by making their services more valuable.

I wonder what welders malpractice insurance runs annualy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Chicken/egg argument. If welders had the same assets to protect as surgeons, their liability insurance would be higher.

Chicken/egg argument. If welders had the same assets to protect as surgeons, their liability insurance would be higher.

Assets = Value last time I checked.

Welders don't have as much valuable assets hence the risk is less and the fees associated are less. Not that hard to follow.

Hahaha... I knew they'd try to come up with something, not sure how it helped his argument tho.

They keep trying to spin this off in different directions but you can't argue the bold statement above.

Again, it depends. Quite often we are required to purchase liability coverage for projects. One good example was a custom trailer to educate kids about nature. Total project cost was about 250K. Over 50k of that was for insurance.
HAMMER:

Welders don't have as much valuable assets hence the risk is less and the fees associated are less. Not that hard to follow.

Dude, the man had a good argument going and you just pissed all over it!
Assets do not equal value. As I have stated before, operating a fab shop that can handle almost any machining and joining need is not cheap any way you look at it. One safety critical part leaving my shop with a bad weld can lead to bankruptcy, plant closure, and lots of people out of work...not to mention injuries and deaths as a direct result of failure.
Not as much to lose? Think again. A surgeon screws up his patient dies. One of my weldors screws up and MANY people can die.
HAMMER:

In case you hadn't noticed, lawyers go after the deep pockets, not those without significant assets.

A surgeon screws up his patient dies. One of my weldors screws up and MANY people can die.

Unless you live near a nuke plant. Or waste water treatment facility.
:P

Still doesn't change this:

..,welders, surgeons,... all are important in their own way. When it comes to value in training required to gain the knowledge and expertise needed to perform those jobs the surgeons out weigh the other fields in end-value of training/expertise.. there by making their services more valuable.