airdvr

I'm beginning to re-think my views on taxation.

>so we can expect a big world war to rebalance things?

Unlikely.

or more realistically about fifty/fifty...

if the Cold War never went off, how could you possibly think that this upcoming conflict has a coin flip's chance of going global?

Think!

russia never had a chance of supplanting the american empire (which had just supplanted the british empire). china is a different kettle of fish.

(meanwhile the iran/israel war is building up)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

russia never had a chance of supplanting the american empire (which had just supplanted the british empire). china is a different kettle of fish.

China has a billion extra people to take care of. It will be difficult to supplant the US, or the Eurozone conglomerate. Equal standing, prehaps, but they're at a great disadvantage coming to the party so late. Shouldn't have killed off all the brains during the Cultural Revolution.

And none of this explains why you think there would be a global war, one that would kill at least 20% of the world's population.

none of this explains why you think there would be a global war, one that would kill at least 20% of the world's population.

there was one at the end of the last crash - why do you think this time will be different?

none of this explains why you think there would be a global war, one that would kill at least 20% of the world's population.

there was one at the end of the last crash - why do you think this time will be different?

Because there's been several crashes since then with no wars at the end of them.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>there was one at the end of the last crash - why do you think this time
>will be different?

And in 1860, a war _caused_ the crash, and ending the war resulted in the recovery. Yet this time no war caused the crash. It's almost as if there isn't just one driver of the economy, eh?

Because there's been several crashes since then with no wars at the end of them.

this is the first crash of its type since then and it also coincides with the transfer of world empire from america to china. it took a world war to bring down the british empire - i think the us will fight as hard as we did.

>there was one at the end of the last crash - why do you think this time
>will be different?

And in 1860, a war _caused_ the crash, and ending the war resulted in the recovery. Yet this time no war caused the crash. It's almost as if there isn't just one driver of the economy, eh?

that's why i say the chance is about 50/50...

this is the first crash of its type since then and it also coincides with the transfer of world empire from america to china. it took a world war to bring down the british empire - i think the us will fight as hard as we did.

First crash of it's type since then? When was the housing bubble crash before this one, pray tell?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

it took a world war to bring down the british empire - i think the us will fight as hard as we did.

Man - they don't teach history very well in England.

so you won't fight?

(meanwhile iran goes nuclear)

Recessions and business cycles are thought to be a normal part of living in a world of inexact balances between supply and demand. What turns a normal recession or 'ordinary' business cycle into an actual depression is a subject of much debate and concern. Scholars have not agreed on the exact causes and their relative importance. Moreover, the search for causes is closely connected to the issue of avoiding future depressions.

Thus, the personal political and policy viewpoints of scholars greatly colors their analysis of historic events occurring eight decades ago. An even larger question is whether the Great Depression was primarily a failure on the part of free markets or, alternately, a failure of government efforts to regulate interest rates, curtail widespread bank failures, and control the money supply. Those who believe in a larger economic role for the state believe that it was primarily a failure of free markets, while those who believe in a smaller role for the state believe that it was primarily a failure of government that compounded the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Though Britain and the Empire emerged victorious from the Second World War, the effects of the conflict were profound, both at home and abroad. Much of Europe, a continent that had dominated the world for several centuries, was in ruins, and host to the armies of the United States and the Soviet Union, to whom the balance of global power had now shifted. Britain was left virtually bankrupt, with insolvency only averted in 1946 after the negotiation of a $3.5 billion loan from the United States, the last installment of which was repaid in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_empire#End_of_empire

Between 1945 and 1965, the number of people under British rule outside the UK itself fell from 700 million to five million, three million of whom were in Hong Kong.

Between 1945 and 1965, the number of people under British rule outside the UK itself fell from 700 million to five million, three million of whom were in Hong Kong.

If it was the war the broke the British Empire, shouldn't that number have been much closer to the five million than the 700 million in 1945, instead of 20 years later?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If it was the war the broke the British Empire, shouldn't that number have been much closer to the five million than the 700 million in 1945, instead of 20 years later?

the answer of course is it was only vaguely a factor. The colonial era ended soon after WWII and Britain wasn't going to hold on to India and the rest forever.

America, otoh, does not have a colonial empire to lose.

the answer of course is it was only vaguely a factor. The colonial era ended soon after WWII and Britain wasn't going to hold on to India and the rest forever.

America, otoh, does not have a colonial empire to lose.

Agreed.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

if someone else wants to be the test case for this, I'm all for it. I don't have the time or money to go playing redefinition games in court.

Been done already. many times. .

In Great-West Life Assurance Co. v. United States, 230 Ct. Cl. 477, 678 F.2d 180, 183 (1982)
“The determination of where income is derived or ‘sourced’ is generally of no moment to either United States citizens or United States corporations, for such persons are subject to tax under section 1 and section 11, respectively, on their worldwide income.”

. . .and several more just from searching that case.

I'm not a citizen of the corporate entity "the United States" which was formed in a bancruptcy during the Nixon administration.
I'm a citizen of the "united states of America".

Blue Skies,
"Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY

>Define income.

OOhhh, semantics games again! If you redefine words you can do anything!

Actually it's not mere semantics.

Something that most don't know and the reason we need lawyers to represent us, is the fact that every law enacted includes definitions of the words used in the bill.
Often those words are defined in the bill quite differently from the common definition.

Thus my question and challenge.

Can any one find the definition of "income" in the income tax code?

It is my contention and sincere belief that an even trade (wages for time) does not produce any "income".
The trade was even.Nothing extra was gained.

Fair Winds and Unlimited Ceilings,
"Treetop" a.k.a. LORD OF THE SKY

>The Chicago street gangs and their members are well known.

Yes. Were the facts concerning their illegal activities readily available?

I thought I already demonstrated that getting thoughtful answers out of some people is not going to happen. Good luck.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm not a citizen of the corporate entity "the United States" which was formed in a bancruptcy during the Nixon administration.
I'm a citizen of the "united states of America".

1. The Supreme Court called the U. S. a "Corporation" in 1896. It also said the legal definition of a "foreign corporation" is different from the colloquial use of the phrase.

2. The U. S never went into bankrupcy. Is this some emotional plea? Are you talking, perhaps, about the strikedown of the Bretton Woods Act?

3. I have some T-Bills (fuck!!). . .that means I own you. Now give me some water and I need to use your studio apt. to house my feral cat collection when I go on vacation. See. . .I can twist words till it conforms to my agenda too.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln