airdvr

I'm beginning to re-think my views on taxation.

>you still haven't explained how the banking system froze worldwide.

Because once credit became a big risk, it was no longer readily available - and many companies rely on credit to operate. The world economy is now very interconnected; you cannot (for example) lose the US credit market, or the Mideast oil market, and have it not impact the rest of the world.

why would banks want credit? theyre supposed to be the ones dishing out the credit (and charging interest for it).
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Because once credit became a big risk, it was no longer readily available

Credit didn't become unavailable because some people defaulted on mortgages.

The money dried up because the Big Banks were caught and had to reimburse the european banks they had ripped off. In order to do that they needed to come up with Big bucks quick lest their criminaly activity was exposed and bankers would be marched off to jail.
It wasn't/isn't about some guy defaulting on his mortgage.

Try Enlightenment. It's a cure all!

Blue Skies,
DJ

>the super rich are still in position . . .

Some indeed are. Others have lost most of their money.

>it's the banks job to match loans to what the economy can bear.

If you think this, your confusion is a lot more understandable. If you get a loan it is YOUR responsibility to pay it off, no one else's. If you can't do that, you are delinquent.

Try taking your credit card bill to a bank and telling them "I can't pay this, and it's your fault for not understanding the economy."

>they did the equivalent of overbooking a passenger jet and then blaming
>the ticket holders for buying 'too many tickets'.

No, it's not. If you buy a ticket on a flight you get a seat. If you get a mortgage you get the money.

It's more like buying first class tickets then being shocked when your credit card bill comes in the mail a month later. "How could the evil airlines do this to me? I can't pay this! It's all their fault!"

>why would banks want credit?

Because purchasing a CDS can make you money. Banks want to make money.

>theyre supposed to be the ones dishing out the credit (and charging
>interest for it).

Yep. They also dish out money in the form of interest on investment accounts. Nowadays the difference between a brokerage and a bank is murky indeed, and banks often invest in instruments that generate good returns on the money they have under their control.

>the super rich are still in position . . .

Some indeed are. Others have lost most of their money.

the vast majority still are and a few have lost some of their money. the super rich as a class though are still getting richer.

Those who think Bush's tax cuts raised revenues need to check their facts AFTER correcting for inflation.

Speaking of checking facts:

Constant 1990 $, year-on-year
2003: +1.08%
2004: +6.92
2005: +4.77%
2006: +2.92%
2007: +1.97%

Meaningless.

Carefully omitting comparison with 1999, 2000, 2001.

I was unaware that Bush was President in 1999 and 2000. Do you do this alternate universe thing often?

REAL government revenues (after adjusting for inflation and population growth) declined 4.7% since the end of the Clinton adminstration to 2007 (before the meltdown). The accumulated revenues under the Bush administration to 2007 were $14.09Trillion, whereas if the revenues during the last Clinton year had continued just at the same level (not even inflating or increasing due to population growth) the accumulated revenue would be $14.18Trillion.

"IF revenues had continued" - more alternate universe wishful thinking. Nice of you to graciously use the height of the dot-com bubble during Clinton's term as a baseline, though - nothing like a fair comparison. (/sarc).

Total gov't revenues (2005 $):
2000: 4.181 T
2001: 4.229 T (+1.15%)
2002: 3.615 T (-14.51%)
2003: 4 T (+10.63)
2004: 4.063 T (+1.58%)
2005: 4.306 T (+5.99%)
2006: 4.612 T (+7.11%)
2007: 4.931 T (+6.90%)
2008: 4.394 T (-10.88%)

01-07: 29,759,060,000,000
2000 x 7: 29,268,120,000,000

Looks like Clinton comes up a little short.

Then there was the meltdown under Bush's watch

Ah, yes... that would be the one that had those staunch Republicans Barney Frank, Chris Dodds and Maxine Waters saying "no problems here", while Bush urged them on?

Yeah, right.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Put down the shovel
climb the ladder
and back away

Uhm Marc, this is a bit off topic but ,
you studied law didn't you?
Can you find anything in the US tax code that requires wage earners to file or pay Federal Income Tax.
Blue Skies,
DJ

Nope
Not a lawyer
Went to tech school for line work after some college

but I think I know what you are posting about
Have a question or comment so we can continue?

(I am curious where you are going with this)

OK , my bad,I've you confused with a different Marc.

My comment is simply this;
Contrary to what most americans believe, wages aren't considered income.
Wages are a simple fair trade , your time for money.
There is nothing gained. There is no extra. There is no "imcome".

Now if you had a stock which paid you 13% above the current interest rate, yes you hit the lottery and have *income* .

So really most of this rich vs poor is really unnecessary.

Most posting probably don't owe any income tax at all. They've just been duped into believing they do.
Forcing the "rich" to pay MORE income tax is also not the answer to our (Americas') financial woes.

Abolishing the Federal Reserve and fractional reserve banking, doing away with the present fiat currency and replacing it with one that is based on a known measurable commodity is the only sure way to extended financial security.

Blue Skies,
DJ

How many times have you guys trotted out the TAXES=THEFT RED TARPON have we had posted here again and again by the usual suspects

Less times than the 'conservatives are greedy' red WHALE have been posted by you and the rest of the usual suspects.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>it's the banks job to match loans to what the economy can bear.

If you think this, your confusion is a lot more understandable. If you get a loan it is YOUR responsibility to pay it off, no one else's. If you can't do that, you are delinquent.

it's the banks job to keep a total of the loans (not the borrowers) and work out whether that total is repayable by the economy at the time.

as to deliquency - we're the ones who are paying off the bad loans not the banks.

(and the super rich soak up an ever greater % of our wealth while we sort out their mess)

>the super rich as a class though are still getting richer.

And so are the middle classes and the poor (on average.) Which, I think, is great news.

"great news"?
Listen Bill,
Why don't you try going to one of the tent cities popping up around the US and tell those people they're *richer*.
I'd provide you a link so that you could tete a tete with them directly but they live under tarps and don't happen to have internet access nor electricity at the moment.

Blues,
DJ

And so are the middle classes and the poor (on average.) Which, I think, is great news.

but the crux here is that the super rich rate of accumulation is faster.

>it's the banks job to keep a total of the loans (not the borrowers) and
>work out whether that total is repayable by the economy at the time.

No, it's not. Repeating the same erroneous statement 3 times does not make it any more accurate.

Should your grocery store stop selling you food if they think you are fat? Should the airline not sell you tickets because they think you're not spending enough time with your wife? Should your college not allow you to get your degree because they think you're just going to get a job at McDonald's afterwards?

In all cases, no. Those things are your responsibility.

>as to deliquency - we're the ones who are paying off the bad loans not the banks.

If you are paying off the loan you got, you're not delinquent. If everyone did this, there would be no subprime mortgage crisis.

If you're not paying off the loan you got, you are delinquent. It is your responsibility to pay your debts. If you cannot handle that responsibility, the solution is simple - do not get yourself into debt.

Adam Davidson put it pretty well in a story he did for NPR a while back. He was doing a story on people fighting to keep their homes, and he summed it up like this:

"I realized checking in with these guys that today we don't hear as much about the original subprime crisis. With the financial meltdown, the recession, the government bailouts, it's hard to remember that this whole thing started simply: a whole bunch of people got really big loans from banks to buy homes that they just couldn't afford."

Pssst a whale is a cetacean which is a mammal

I guess you missed that huh.... a whale aint a herring and ' I aint the one getting a red ass over taxing those who can afford to pay for their winning the very best that this society has to offer.

I love how so many conservatives defend them no matter what.. and yet... THEY count on it... not that THEY OR THEIR kids would actually serve the country like the Shrub.. or Potatoe Quayle. You serve them... and wait under the window for that trickle you keep praying for

>it's the banks job to keep a total of the loans (not the borrowers) and
>work out whether that total is repayable by the economy at the time.

No, it's not. Repeating the same erroneous statement 3 times does not make it any more accurate.

Should your grocery store stop selling you food if they think you are fat? Should the airline not sell you tickets."

and you denying it three times doesn't make you right. should the local bar continue to sell you beer when you are plainly drunk and intend to drive home? and the airline should sell the amount of tickets that it has seats - to do otherwise is delinquent.

It is your responsibility to pay your debts. If you cannot handle that responsibility, the solution is simple - do not get yourself into debt.

And the same goes for the banks!
The banks got themselves into debt!
Their customers didn't do it!

The banks got themselves into debt.
Not the American people!!!

The Banks got themselves into debt!!!!

And their criminal actions are what the bailout is attempting to hide.

Blues,
DJ

"great news"?
Listen Bill,
Why don't you try going to one of the tent cities popping up around the US and tell those people they're *richer*.
I'd provide you a link so that you could tete a tete with them directly but they live under tarps and don't happen to have internet access nor electricity at the moment.

Blues,
DJ

Perhaps less partying when they were in school like after the football game or the other distractions would have been in order. Studying for a future would have been good instead of partying for the now.

Responsibility

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps..fuck em if they fail

Isnt that the hue and cry of the conservatives???

If you're not paying off the loan you got, you are delinquent. It is your responsibility to pay your debts. If you cannot handle that responsibility, the solution is simple - do not get yourself into debt.

well the banks got themselves into a whole load of debt which they couldn't repay - and we picked up the tab for it.

>"great news"?
>Listen Bill,
>Why don't you try going to one of the tent cities popping up around the US
>and tell those people they're *richer*.

Number of people living in tent cities today: 20,000 out of 300,000,000 or .003%

Number of people living in hoovervilles and railcars in 1929: 2,000,000 out of 120,000,000 or 1.6%

Would you really prefer to go back to 1929?

"With the financial meltdown, the recession, the government bailouts, it's hard to remember that this whole thing started simply: a whole bunch of people got really big loans from banks to buy homes that they just couldn't afford."

and the super rich took the biggest loans, made the most money, paid the least in taxes - and then when they realised they couldn't afford to repay got us to do it for them instead.

>"great news"?
>Listen Bill,
>Why don't you try going to one of the tent cities popping up around the US
>and tell those people they're *richer*.

Number of people living in tent cities today: 20,000 out of 300,000,000 or .003%

Number of people living in hoovervilles and railcars in 1929: 2,000,000 out of 120,000,000 or 1.6%

Would you really prefer to go back to 1929?

Sounds pretty conserrvative to me based on the posting herre over the last 7 years I have observed them at their finest

>but the crux here is that the super rich rate of accumulation is faster.

Fine with me. I guess I'm the kind of person that prefers everyone get richer, even if someone you hate gets richer too.

well it depends if this isn't distorting the economy so much for the rest of us (it takes a lot of effort to build all those palaces) that it wouldn't be safer for everyone if they slowed down just a little and let some flow out of those tax havens.

(don't know why you hate the poor)

[replyPerhaps less partying when they were in school like after the football game or the other distractions would have been in order. Studying for a future would have been good instead of partying for the now.

Responsibility

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps..fuck em if they fail

Isnt that the hue and cry of the conservatives???

Really? I know people in the construction industry who have worked hard all their working lives.
They tried , they were always a paycheck or two from being homeless but they were fine as long as there was work.
Most of these guys couldn't have ever made colledge. They just weren't that bright . But they are willing to work hard at any job just to feed their kids.
Thing is there are not enough jobs.

Between the off shoring of manufacturing jobs and the importation of cheap illegal immigrant labor, there just aren't many jobs left for our homeboys.

Pull up your boot straps?

And then what?

Blues,
DJ