kingbunky

daily TSA f#$k-up thread

they seem to be doing it often enough these days. in the last week or so there's the story of the flight attendant having to remove her breast prostheis, the guy with the leakage from his pee-bag after a frisking, the kid who had to remove his shirt, etc. etc....

today, mythbuster's Adam Savage has a story.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

the guy with urine that leaked on him was a bladder cancer surviror who tried to tell the TSA officials about his medical condition before they patted him down. that was not a case of TSA's regulations being too strict, it was a case of the TSA hiring fucktards without common sense or any decency.

TSA needs to change their hiring standards
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

I have a new idea.....How about we follow the constitution and stop giving up our freedoms in order to feel safer and more comfortable when in reality we are no safer than before and in fact have given ourselves over to the tyranny of the government.

People didn't fight and died so we could be free only to give it up.

Benjamin Franklin - Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin - When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Benjamin Franklin - Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

Have we kept it?

I have a new idea.....How about we follow the constitution and stop giving up our freedoms in order to feel safer and more comfortable when in reality we are no safer than before and in fact have given ourselves over to the tyranny of the government.

People didn't fight and died so we could be free only to give it up.

Benjamin Franklin - Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin - When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Benjamin Franklin - Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

Have we kept it?

Or as Thomas Jefferson said: When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Theres a difference between caution and ignorance.

If you ask me, TSA screenings are the least of our concerns. If you really want to talk about government over stepping, I'm of the opinion that 'the peope' no longer run out country. Our federal government was never intended to be this strong compared to the states. But perhaps that was a necessary evil for the continued survival of the US following the Civil War?

Empires fall and republics fade....but one things remains. The TSA!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Theres a difference between caution and ignorance.

If you ask me, TSA screenings are the least of our concerns. If you really want to talk about government over stepping, I'm of the opinion that 'the peope' no longer run out country. Our federal government was never intended to be this strong compared to the states. But perhaps that was a necessary evil for the continued survival of the US following the Civil War?

Empires fall and republics fade....but one things remains. The TSA!

Ever straw, is a concern, throwing little ones at us, are how they get so many , that the back finally breaks,....

WOW, that was deep...Did I tell you I have 4 cases of Redbull?

Did I tell you I have 4 cases of Redbull?

sounds like a heart attack in the making :)

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Can't take liquids through security...sorry!

They should really change the rules. If everyone could have knives and water bottles no one would attack anyone else because everyone else is also armed AND we could have wet tshirt contests instead of in-flight movies.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Went to Vegas this past weekend. I currently have a torn MCL so I wear a knee brace much of the time, but since it's a guaranteed pat-down when wearing it, and I can walk okay without it, I folded it up in my carry-on to go through security.

No questions asked leaving Oakland. Coming back from Vegas the screener stops on my bag, and says "what do you have in there?" I said "I've got a knee brace in there - it probably looks weird." He stares at the image a little more. "Do you have two in there?" I said "No, just the one, folded up on itself."

And the bag goes through without further ado.

I'm thinking that seeing an object you can't identify is probably reasonable cause for a look-see in the bag; instead, the guy just trusts that what I'm telling him is true. Sigh.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Went to Vegas this past weekend. I currently have a torn MCL so I wear a knee brace much of the time, but since it's a guaranteed pat-down when wearing it, and I can walk okay without it, I folded it up in my carry-on to go through security.

No questions asked leaving Oakland. Coming back from Vegas the screener stops on my bag, and says "what do you have in there?" I said "I've got a knee brace in there - it probably looks weird." He stares at the image a little more. "Do you have two in there?" I said "No, just the one, folded up on itself."

And the bag goes through without further ado.

I'm thinking that seeing an object you can't identify is probably reasonable cause for a look-see in the bag; instead, the guy just trusts that what I'm telling him is true. Sigh.

That like any officer has to deal with, is reading how you react, you showed no signs of nervousness, and probably could care less if he looked, he saw that..

Now tell me a military trained terrorist couldn't fake that?[:/]

if they want to get things threw, they will!

>... and the problem with just going through the body scanner is?

Some use millimeter waves and do not do any damage; some use xrays and expose you to a measurable amount of ionizing radiation.

Dangerous? Not that dangerous. But several people do not see the reason to take _any_ risks with their health for the sake of the TSA, and I can't say I blame them.

>... and the problem with just going through the body scanner is?

Some use millimeter waves and do not do any damage; some use xrays and expose you to a measurable amount of ionizing radiation.

Dangerous? Not that dangerous. But several people do not see the reason to take _any_ risks with their health for the sake of the TSA, and I can't say I blame them.

And many folks like myself have been exposed to far too much radiation already, and really don;t want to push that level higher , unless it is to actually help my body!

(yet, I'd still just go Xray)

... and the problem with just going through the body scanner is?

The issue boils down to security vs. privacy/liberty.
A TSA official recently said as much.

I think a number of people feel that they are being asked to give up more and more privacy/liberty and they do not feel the amount of security provided justifies the lost privacy/liberty.

>>People didn't fight and died so we could be free only to give it up.

>When the people fear their government

Let's keep this away from politics, please.

several politcal comments in this trhead yet you pick???[:/][:/]

BUT, OK...not sure how, on thsi subject, but OK!B|

But several people do not see the reason to take _any_ risks with their health for the sake of the TSA, and I can't say I blame them.

And I can't say as I disagree with that... then either... 1) Choose a different mode of transportation to get form point A to point B... or... 2) Deal with the "aggressive pat-down". One has a choice.

What I don't get is the whole, I wanna be safe flying, but I don't want to be inconvenienced or offended pissy whinny aspect of this whole "thing".

People these days are such a pain in the ass. On one hand, I agree that the TSA could re-look at their hiring standards, but they'd probably have to pay more to attract the correct folks. On the other hand, I can't imagine having a job where one has to deal with a never ending line of folks that at any moment any one of them could go from zero to jerk in a second over something stupid or a simple misunderstanding.

Ya know there is yet another choice to here... its called profiling... :o

:P

my bad. i just found the video kinda funny/sad. i should have figured it would go sideways, but since i don't play in speaker's corner, i never thought to put it here. it's here now, so i guess it's home.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

... and the problem with just going through the body scanner is?

I can see the body scanner gaining more support if it's actually used in a way that can speed things up and provide passengers with more convenience. Taking your jacket, belt, and shoes off and emptying your pockets is slow and annoying but when you're just going through a metal detector it makes sense due to the limitations of that machine's ability to resolve threats. And if you do set off a metal detector, getting patted down seems reasonable because everyone involved understands the limited information a metal detector provides.

The TSA is using backscatter machines like they are fancy metal detectors rather than being a whole new tool. Let me leave my jacket and shoes on and let me leave my things in my pockets. Use that big fancy machine you're making me walk through to resolve the difference between a cell phone and a weapon rather than patting me down just because you see "something."

Seriously. Is it too much to ask for you guys to make these in the correct forums to begin with?

Come on.

He was trying to "doge" security:D. Better give him the full pat down.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.