dreamdancer

Israeli plan to build hundreds of homes in West Bank settlement risks US anger

As for Israel as an impediment to peace, yep, they're the worst, right after all those people that are still attacking them on a regular basis.

I see them as equal. The reason I put the impetus on Israel at this particular moment is that they have an opportunity to to sit down at the peace table and they're choosing to build instead. If you want peace why not just chill out on the building permits, get the Palestinians to the table and see where it goes? If you don't really care because you're the more powerful and you're still subscribing to Sharon's cry to "grab every hill top" then you just thumb your nose at this opportunity.

But most importantly, I'm still looking for an answer to this:

What are the incentives for Israel to sit down and make concessions during peace talks when the folks they're talking to can't or won't reign in the ones that are actually attacking Israel?

If they want a peaceful two state solution then it's not going to happen unless you sit down at the table. After the agreements are made then you bring in the reinforcements (us) and apply an equally heavy hand on those who try to sabotage the decision. There are people on both sides who are going to try to use terror to interfere. Hard core Palestinians and pissed off settlers are likely to kill quite a few people. Prosecute each equally for a change.

Two State???

What is the other State?

israel did just that and for 10 months the palestinians did nothing.
why dont you suggest they just come back to the table ?
10 months is enough to show its not the real reason. now they are just trying to set a new status quo

Or test to see if Israel is actually a willing partner.

10 months is enough to show its not the real reason. now they are just trying to set a new status quo

It seemed they were pretty willing when they UNILATERALY withdrew from Gaza.I am sure that set a precedent for the way giving back conquered territory by the Israeli's showed how much the Palistinians really want peace.

That seems like a pretty good failed test to me.

How many times over the last 60 years has it gone the same way.

It amazes me that ANYONE in the west is fooled by Palistinian claims for their desire for peace.

Well except for the gullible and those who get fooled all of the time.

so how long of a freeze would indicate Israel Is a willing partner ?
10 months is not long enough?
What indicates to u that the Palestinians are a willing partner?
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

It seemed they were pretty willing when they UNILATERALY withdrew from Gaza.I am sure that set a precedent for the way giving back conquered territory by the Israeli's showed how much the Palistinians really want peace.

That seems like a pretty good failed test to me.

How many times over the last 60 years has it gone the same way.

It amazes me that ANYONE in the west is fooled by Palistinian claims for their desire for peace.Well except for the gullible and those who get fooled all of the time.

Holy FUCK....Three times in one day.....:o Dead on the money!

Their stated desire to negotiate and with the added bonus of a US mediator who is actually willing to pursue a peace process. Those two entities are asking Israel to join in. Why not take them up on it?
My point is that the settlements are illegal in the eyes of the international community, including the United States. So is the "security" (aka "land grab") barrier. For a decade and a half the US has allowed Israel to expand its settlements in the West Bank and during that time, even Israeli leaders have conceded that they're going to have to abandon some of those settlements. Why keep building if you're going to have to leave anyway? In a nutshell, because if you grab as much land as you can you can keep most of it. The more you grab, the greater your portion when some peace agreement is reached. If someone REALLY wanted peace now then they would take EVERY opportunity to sit down and work towards it. Instead, Netanyahu has kicked Olmert's concessions to the curb so that he can grab more land. And it's working. Not only are other West Bank settlements allowed to continue to grow but the US is pretty much conceding East Jerusalem with its most recent bribe. Two out of three primary parties are, as Jeanne so often prescribes, trying to "make peace". All the third has to do is quit stealing more land and join them. So that to me seems to be the choice. Does Israel want to "make peace" or would it prefer to put it off and steal more land?

Their stated desire to negotiate and with the added bonus of a US mediator who is actually willing to pursue a peace process. Those two entities are asking Israel to join in. Why not take them up on it?
My point is that the settlements are illegal in the eyes of the international community, including the United States. So is the "security" (aka "land grab") barrier. For a decade and a half the US has allowed Israel to expand its settlements in the West Bank and during that time, even Israeli leaders have conceded that they're going to have to abandon some of those settlements. Why keep building if you're going to have to leave anyway? In a nutshell, because if you grab as much land as you can you can keep most of it. The more you grab, the greater your portion when some peace agreement is reached. If someone REALLY wanted peace now then they would take EVERY opportunity to sit down and work towards it. Instead, Netanyahu has kicked Olmert's concessions to the curb so that he can grab more land. And it's working. Not only are other West Bank settlements allowed to continue to grow but the US is pretty much conceding East Jerusalem with its most recent bribe. Two out of three primary parties are, as Jeanne so often prescribes, trying to "make peace". All the third has to do is quit stealing more land and join them. So that to me seems to be the choice. Does Israel want to "make peace" or would it prefer to put it off and steal more land?

edited to add: I don't know if current negotiations would eventually lead to a permanent peace. I DO however know that if you don't start a negotiation then you'll never know.

Or . . . Maybe they have some self respect and are tired of someone trying to continue to bully them as they have the entirety of their written existance.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Or . . . Maybe they have some self respect and are tired of someone trying to continue to bully them as they have the entirety of their written existance.

So if a people are oppressed then it's ok if they oppress another group of people? That excuse seems to be recurring in these discussions.

My point is that the settlements are illegal in the eyes of the international community, including the United States. So is the "security" (aka "land grab") barrier.

DUUUDE

Unless you are a member of the Nanticoke or Powhatan tribe would you please leave immediately get off the lands you are illegally occupying in Virginia???

GO HOME :S

QUIT OPPRESSING us!!!!!!

So if a people are oppressed then it's ok if they oppress another group of people? That excuse seems to be recurring in these discussions.

How many times has Isreal "Gone to the table"?

It doesn't seem to work for you.

Try offering a solution that doesn't include isreal feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Try offering a solution that doesn't include isreal feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick again.

Look the the attached map and tell me who you think is getting the short end of the stick. Israel is on the left, little blue dots are Israeli settlements, and pay special attention to what the yellow areas indicate.

Look the the attached map and tell me who you think is getting the short end of the stick. Israel is on the left, little blue dots are Israeli settlements, and pay special attention to what the yellow areas indicate.

Perhaps they should just expell all the Palistinians who will not make peace from the Ancient land of Israel and the land they conquerd because of subequent attacks and wars with their not so peaceful enighbors as the Jews were expelled from all the Muslim countries over the last 60 years. Let all their muslim brothers absorb their bretheran and give them the stolen jewish lands in all those countries.

iran has a very healthy jewish community.

Yeah right... have you actually checked how those reluigious minorities are treated in Iran.

And PLEASE... something other than alternut.net would be nice just for a HUGE change of pace.. mmmmkkkkk

How about the treatment of the Orthodox Christians in Turkey.... there was a 60 minutes report about that not long ago.

Want to give us numbers of Jews and christians for all the OTHER muslim countries??

Not that you will actually read it..

More of the same

no matter how you spin it - jews had the hardest time and the most taken from them by christian europeans in the thirties and forties. you can revision your history as much as you want - but the christian holocaust of jews is a fact.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

no matter how you spin it - jews had the hardest time and the most taken from them by christian europeans in the thirties and forties. you can revision your history as much as you want - but the christian holocaust of jews is a fact.

Yet you seem to wish to gloss over the continuation of that AFTER WWII by the people you seem to support so fervently!!!!

From WIKI

The tensions of the Arab-Israeli conflict were also a factor in the rise of animosity to Jews all over the Middle East, as hundreds of thousands of Jews fled as refugees, the main waves being soon after the 1948 and 1956 wars. In reaction to the Suez Crisis of 1956, the Egyptian government expelled almost 25,000 Egyptian Jews and confiscated their property, and sent approximately 1,000 more Jews to prisons and detention camps. The population of Jewish communities of Muslim Middle East and North Africa was reduced from about 900,000 in 1948 to less than 8,000 today.

You seem quite ok with this.

and you gloss over the fact that it was the palestinians who were expelled from their homes and land to make way for the new un sanctioned state of israel - not the christian europeans who still have all of their land.

and you gloss over the fact that it was the palestinians who were expelled from their homes and land to make way for the new un sanctioned state of israel - not the christian europeans who still have all of their land.

Look, a chance for the thread to drift back on topic!

And we are still waiting for you to show us your tribal membership or are you illegally occupying lands you have no ancestral or any other right to?[:/]

Nice of you and the delusiondancer to gloss over the REST of the story of all the lands stolen from the jews by the arab bretheran of all those Palistinians who left to join the arab forces hoping to return with those glorious Arab warriors as they slaughtered the jews in the State of Israel.

Look, a chance for the thread to drift back on topic!

Amazon has repeated pointed out that Jews living in the neighboring countries to the new Israel were likewise expelled, and in much greater numbers. I have yet to see any of you address that.

Artificial nation building in the wake of wars has winners and losers. But the score doesn't seem that one sided. Later, the "losers" tried to "right" the balance by warring, and failed, and now complain about the consequences of those losses. Continue to wage war while expecting the winner to make peace.

Is Israel riding the fence with these settlements? Probably. It should just declare its intent to keep them. Would it gain favor by not doing them? Perhaps, but it seems certain that so long as numerous Arab groups continue with the goal of the destruction of all Jews, there's little benefit to making the concession. Are the settlements illegal? Questionable - these lands were gained as a result of the war waged by its neighbors. It did not initiate the wars.

The current Israeli leadership is on the hawkish side. Its government seems to cycle between the hawks and doves. When the dovish behavior fails to end the bombing, the people reelect the hawks. Thank the bombers for that.

And we are still waiting for you to show us your tribal membership or are you illegally occupying lands you have no ancestral or any other right to?[:/]

no we're not - we're waiting for you to explain why israel is throwing away possibly its last chance for peace by building a few illegal homes. surely they're not that important to go to war for?