rushmc

This One Happens to be a Dem

Query
How often do you all think this happens?

It is ethical

Me?
I think it happens very often

On both sides where long timers are involved

The following is a transcript of a voice mail left

This is, uh, Eleanor Norton, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton. Uh, I noticed that you have given to uh, other colleagues on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. I am a, um, Senior Member, a twenty year veteran and am Chair of the Sub-committee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management. I’m handling the largest economic development project in the United States now, the Homeland Security Compound of three buildings being built on the uh, old St. Elizabeth’s hospital site in the District of Columbia along with uh, fifteen other, uh, sites here for, that are part of the stimulus .

I was, frankly, uh, uh, surprised to see that we don’t have a record, so far as I can tell, of your having given to me despite my uh, long and deep uh, work. In fact, it’s been my major work, uh, on the committee and sub-committee it’s been essentially in your sector.

I am, I’m simply candidly calling to ask for a contribution. As the senior member of the um, committee and a sub-committee chair, we have (chuckles) obligations to raise, uh funds. And, I think it must have been me who hasn’t, frankly, uh, done my homework to ask for a contribution earlier. So I’m trying to make up for it by asking for one now, when we particularly, uh, need, uh contributions, particularly those of us who have the seniority and chairmanships and are in a position to raise the funds.

I’m asking you to give to Citizens for Eleanor Holmes Norton, PO Box 70626, DC, 20024. I’ll send you a follow-up note with appreciation for having heard me out. Thanks again.

http://biggovernment.com/capitolconfidential/2010/09/15/shock-audio-facing-obligations-from-leadership-democrat-house-member-puts-the-squeeze-on-lobbyist/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm sure this happens on both sides of the isle quite a bit. This is the reason there is such a huge anti-incumbent sentiment in the country.

Obviously Congresswoman Norton has spent to much time collecting special interest money and stopped representing the interest of the people to whom she is supposed to serve. It's time for her to go.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

It is ethical

I think your first question ought to be, is it true or is it misleading?

The recording may in fact be true, so far she hasn't denied it. However, depending on the exact circumstances, it might be within the House ethics rules.

The article gives the impression it's not, but the question is, is the article actually correct.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It is ethical

The recording may in fact be true, so far she hasn't denied it. However, depending on the exact circumstances, it might be within the House ethics rules.

The article gives the impression it's not, but the question is, is the article actually correct.

It will be hard for her to say it is not her given the recording is posted

Unless it is an imposter
Abraham Lincoln

It is ethical

Unless it is an imposter

That's not what I'm talking about. It probably IS her, she hasn't denied it. What I'm talking about is that it may be exactly within the House ethics rules and a perfectly "normal" phone call -- same as done by every other politician in her position.

It's the article's position that it was improper to begin with I'm questioning.

Politicians raise funds. They're only allowed to do it in certain ways. The article suggests this was improper, but is it?
quade -

I'm sure this happens on both sides of the isle quite a bit. This is the reason there is such a huge anti-incumbent sentiment in the country.
Obviously Congresswoman Norton has spent to much time collecting special interest money and stopped representing the interest of the people to whom she is supposed to serve. It's time for her to go.

done and done. we need to sic donald trump on her !

Politicians raise funds. They're only allowed to do it in certain ways. The article suggests this was improper, but is it?

Was this a rhetorical question, or a stupid one?

Yes, it was improper. How proper can it be to call someone up and say "you've been giving money to these other people - I want some too. Call me when it's done."

Yes, it was improper. How proper can it be to call someone up and say "you've been giving money to these other people - I want some too. Call me when it's done."

Believe it or not, I get calls (even from Christian groups and Republicans) asking me to give them money all the time. It's annoying as hell, but as long as they follow the laws, it's perfectly legal.
quade -

It is ethical

Unless it is an imposter

That's not what I'm talking about. It probably IS her, she hasn't denied it. What I'm talking about is that it may be exactly within the House ethics rules and a perfectly "normal" phone call -- same as done by every other politician in her position.

It's the article's position that it was improper to begin with I'm questioning.

Ok, if the call is proper then the ethics rules need to be changed, cause it is wrong
Abraham Lincoln

Believe it or not, I get calls (even from Christian groups and Republicans) asking me to give them money all the time. It's annoying as hell, but as long as they follow the laws, it's perfectly legal.

Legal or not, she is soliciting special interest money.

Question 1. Do you think she is still representing the average person?

Question 2. Would you vote for her?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if given a choice between her and say a tea party member, if that was the democrat and republican on the ticket, you would vote her back into office.:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

you switched from proper to legal.

Those churches say (mostly) that they will use the money to do good - to spread the word of God, or to help people in the third world, or whatever. Only a few are brazen enough to say 'give me money because I want some.'

A Member doing this is likely within the law, although if she called a few days before a key vote, it may seem like a shakedown, even if she didn't explicitly mention consequences.