turtlespeed

Death Penalty

Number of points.

1) The death penalty is surely only ever give when the evidence is overwhelming, if it wasn't then the person wouldn't be able to have been found guilty. Yet mistakes have happened on numerous occasions.

This is really the biggest problem I have with the death penalty right now. Yes I am for the death penalty. However, it should only be applied in cases where there is irrefutable evidence. A lot of people get convicted on overwhelming circumstantial evidence.

Circumstantial evidence should negate the death penalty. As is sits right now, once you are found guilty, you are guilty and that's it. That phase of the trial is done. I think that the evidence should weigh in on the punishment.

As it sits right now, because the appeal process for the death penalty is so lengthy, I feel the death penalty is still OK.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

totally agree. We wonder why our society is so violent; look no further than the court system, massive military, etc.

That is so ignorant

Shit, why stop at ignorant, Bill has shown he won't do a thing if someone says something way worse than that to me, of course I live on a 1-way street.

But thanks for explaining to everyone your opinion of America's villence; you've cleared it up.

Up or down vote.

Friend of ours was killed.

They found the killer.

The evidence is overwhelming.

The penalty should depend on the crime, not on the quality of the evidence.

If you have any system, you will have errors, no matter how you claim to not make them. Death penalty = eventual errors; no way around it.

Really? WTF

So it doesn't matter who did it ? - seems to be what you're saying[:/]

No, that is not what I said.

I fundamentally disagree that the penalty should depend on whether or not the evidence is "overwhelming". Why should one murderer get prison and another the needle for identical crimes, just because the evidence was better in one case than in the other?

The penalty should depend on the severity and heinousness of the crime.

Three times is enemy action

Really? WTF

So it doesn't matter who did it ? - seems to be what you're saying[:/]

No, that is not what I said.

I fundamentally disagree that the penalty should depend on whether or not the evidence is "overwhelming". Why should one murderer get prison and another the needle for identical crimes, just because the evidence was better in one case than in the other?

The penalty should depend on the severity and heinousness of the crime.

Well, more succinctly, the aggravating factors. AZ has 10 aggravators and 5 mitigators used when determining DP seeking or not. However there are more political issues as well, not just partisan politics.

But I agree, claiming more evidence to be more qualified = a person is more guilty. Guilt requires a standard to achieve, but once it has been met that person is 100% guilty. It's almost an admission that the system is greatly flawed when people want more punishment for those who are more guilty; I think we know there are innocent people in prison and occassionally executed.

I am in favor of the death penalty based on Scriptural justification and my personal belief in the concept of the punishment fitting the crime.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So we should stone homosexuals and adulters to death. Interesting, ever thought of moving to Iran?

I did not say that.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

You show me. After all it was YOU who said...

I am in favor of the death penalty based on Scriptural justification

So show me. If you can't show me in the New Testament then I can only take it that you are refering to the Old Testament in which it says that Adulters and homosexuals should be stoned to death. So show me or reveal your hypocracy.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

But that is what it says in the scriptures.

Show me one from the new covenant.

Matt 5:17-18: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Is he telling the truth?

So show me. If you can't show me in the New Testament then I can only take it that you are refering to the Old Testament in which it says that Adulters and homosexuals should be stoned to death. So show me or reveal your hypocracy.

I apologize, I took advantage of you because I know you lack education and understanding of the Scriptures.

It does not exist in the new covenant.

The new covenant instructs us to follow the law of the land regarding the death penalty. Read Romans 13.

I apologize, I took advantage of you because I know you lack education and understanding of the Scriptures.

The new covenant instructs us to follow the law of the land regarding the death penalty. Read Romans 13.

Since when did Paul outrank Jesus?

Matt 5:17-18: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Is he telling the truth?

Absolutely, according to Halley's Bible Handbook, Jesus is teaching that God will hold us responsible for personal sin, particularly as it applies to murder, adultery, swearing, revenge, and hatred of enemy.

So you are in favour of stoning adulterers to death, whipping unmarried women seen in public with men, life imprisonment for insulting the King of Thailand... you basically have no criticism of any law in any country.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So you are in favour of stoning adulterers to death, whipping unmarried women seen in public with men, life imprisonment for insulting the King of Thailand... you basically have no criticism of any law in any country.

Characteristic of Nowhere Man: "He's as blind as he can be, / Just sees what he wants to see"

"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest", Paul Simon.

Ron finds one verse in Romans and uses it to disregard the essential message of Jesus.

So am I correct in believing that one who disobeys Obama is disobeying God?

Romans 13

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Here we go round in circles. I am only concerned with where I live.