Amazon

Let the Fun Begin

House votes to end 'don't ask, don't tell'

WASHINGTON - The House of Representatives on Thursday delivered a victory to President Barack Obama and gay rights groups by approving a proposal to repeal the law that allows gays to serve in the military only if they don't disclose their sexual orientation.

The 234-194 vote to overturn the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy reflected a view among many in Congress that America was ready for a military in which gays and straights can stand side by side in the trenches.

With so many people running away as hard as theycan from serving their country... I think its time to let EVERYONE who does wish to serve our country with honor, to be able to do so.....finally.

The 234-194 vote to overturn the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy reflected a view among many in Congress that America was ready for a military in which gays and straights can stand side by side in the trenches.

Or front and back!

Or front and back!

Well then you know they will be behind you all the way!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

With so many people running away as hard as theycan from serving their country... I think its time to let EVERYONE who does wish to serve our country with honor, to be able to do so.....finally.

I'm definitely for the repeal of DADT. That said, I just felt I had to point out that people aren't running away from serving their country any more. None of the services have had any issue meeting recruitment or retention goals recently. Turns out that when the economy turns to shit, people suddenly get a whole lot more patriotic.

I'm definitely for the repeal of DADT. That said, I just felt I had to point out that people aren't running away from serving their country any more. None of the services have had any issue meeting recruitment or retention goals recently. Turns out that when the economy turns to shit, people suddenly get a whole lot more patriotic.

I think my point would be that for the available slots I would prefer that the military have as many applicants for any possible job as they can .. rather than barely making recruiting goals or as has happened all too frequently.. NOT making them.

There are far too many out there still, who are patriotic in the extreme.... as long as its someone else going to war in their place.

We could kill two birds with one stone.

We could shorten the immigration wait period. All we would have to do is demand that they enter into the armed services for 4 yeras and the goverment will expedite thier citizenship papers.

It would also fill up the recruiting quotas like crazy, no?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>We could shorten the immigration wait period. All we would have to do
>is demand that they enter into the armed services for 4 yeras and the
>goverment will expedite thier citizenship papers.

I suspect that would work until someone realized that we now had a Spanish-speaking, non-citizen military whose allegiances were to Mexico. And just a guess - some people would be upset by that.

Good idea in theory though, and could probably be made to work if enough effort was put into it.

>We could shorten the immigration wait period. All we would have to do
>is demand that they enter into the armed services for 4 yeras and the
>goverment will expedite thier citizenship papers.

I suspect that would work until someone realized that we now had a Spanish-speaking, non-citizen military whose allegiances were to Mexico. And just a guess - some people would be upset by that.

Good idea in theory though, and could probably be made to work if enough effort was put into it.

As long as checks and balances were implemented. Part of the training would be ESL.

Stipulations would have to exist that part or all of the money earned could not be transferred out of the country - the financial impact would be grave.

We could shorten the immigration wait period. All we would have to do is demand that they enter into the armed services for 4 yeras and the goverment will expedite thier citizenship papers.

They is already a program in place to do just that.

Non-citizens are eligible to enlist in the military but can not be commissioned. A non-citizen that is eligible to join the military must meet certain requirements: (1) Have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551), (2) Have a bona fide residence established, and (3) Have established a record of the U.S. as their home. Some non-citizens from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S. may also require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military. In order for an immigrant to join the United States military, they must first go through the immigration process of the USCIS (previously known as the INS) and then and then begin the enlisting process. Another requirement is that the Green Card and/or visa if the immigrant desiring to join the military must be valid for the entire period of their enlistment.

But, can you fit tacos into an MRE?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But, can you fit tacos into an MRE?

1) We already have fajita MREs.

2) I am all for allowing foreign citizens to earn their way into the US through military service. That said, I'd prefer if our homegrown citizens were filling the quotas (which they currently are) because I think an Army full of foreign Soldiers would be even more likely to be misused than our current one.

3) To go back to the original topic, I fully agree with you Amazon. We need the best Soldiers we can get, and DADT has been making it harder for that to happen. I really look forward to the day when it becomes history.