FreeFlyer2100

Is the college covering it's own ass??

SO after reading this story I had to wonder if the college is really trying to cover it's own ass or really help this student

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/ga-college-steps-hep-illegal-immigrant-student/

Having worked in an admissions office of a college for a few years I know first hand the process of getting students accepted into college. So how did this illegal immigrant get accepted into this school? I hope this is not the case but did this student also get any federal aid? That would be very upsetting if an illegal immigrant can get federal money to go to college but other CITIZENS get denied. I am sure I will get burned at the stake for this but I don't see this as a feel good story.

SO after reading this story I had to wonder if the college is really trying to cover it's own ass or really help this student

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/ga-college-steps-hep-illegal-immigrant-student/

Having worked in an admissions office of a college for a few years I know first hand the process of getting students accepted into college. So how did this illegal immigrant get accepted into this school? I hope this is not the case but did this student also get any federal aid? That would be very upsetting if an illegal immigrant can get federal money to go to college but other CITIZENS get denied. I am sure I will get burned at the stake for this but I don't see this as a feel good story.

Made it clicky.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

She was arrested. Deportation was started. She went through the proper channels. A deferrment was granted. I don't see a problem with that.

Giving my tax dollars away to non citizens, however, is, in no way, acceptable.

That money, if there was any given out, should have been given to a US CITIZEN, that has worked hard and put forth effort.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

In the process of getting set up in the college system, student IDs, class schedules, financial payment, how did this person do all of that without proof of citizenship? That's what leads me to believe that the college made a huge mistake in the admissions process and helped to support bringing the student back to cover its mistake.

Apparently one of the failures of the EVerify system was that while nearly everyone it marked as illegal was, in fact, illegal, it only caught about 60% of illegal aliens.

For someone who has been here since they were a child, a lot of "standard US citizen" paperwork probably existed. I'll bet she had a SS number, immunization records, local school records, perfect English -- all that stuff that might make you think she was a legal resident.

And before we go too far down a pathway of saying that a verification system should be better, do we really want to have it say that a significant number of legal residents are illegal?

There cannot be a perfect system. If we can afford it, it'll either let people through, or be too intrusive, or take too long. If it's perfect, we can't afford it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The article didn't say wether or not the documents she had were falsified, like a student visa, or her drivers liscense, or birth certificate.

If any or all of those were forgeries, then she should face criminal charges first, before she is allowed to finish her schooling.

>The article didn't say wether or not the documents she had were
>falsified, like a student visa, or her drivers liscense, or birth certificate.

You don't need to be a citizen to get a drivers license.

That fact does not mean it was legit.

. . . and as a result no one falsified or lied about anything.

This sounds alot like the discussion about "borrowing" items from Walmart.

>This sounds alot like the discussion about "borrowing" items from Walmart.

If she had a legal driver's license, and they accepted that during her admissions process, who is lying about anything? I know several immigrants who have driver's licenses, and who use them for ID. Heck, I knew two immigrants who were illegal for a time (paperwork problems, since resolved) and they still used their driver's licenses. No one was lying about anything.

If she said "yes, I'm a legal resident" then I agree, she was lying.

Shouldn't you, check to, see that, your tax, dollars WERE, given, away before, expressing, your righteous, outrage?

(PS When, it comes, to, the use of, commas, imitation is the, sincerest, form of flattery):P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>If she said "yes, I'm a legal resident" then I agree, she was lying.

At the very top of the second page of the enrollment application there is box where you must enter your social security number, and then enter it again for verification. On the same page a little further down it asks your citizenship/immigration status.

And then it ends the application with

I understand that any willfully false statement made by me on this application may subject me to immediate withdrawal from the institution.

Further, I hereby certify that to the best of my knowledge, the information submitted on this interactive application is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

Additionally, I agree to adhere to the policies and regulations set by Kennesaw State University. Failure to comply could result in denial of admission, disciplinary actions or dismissal.

Submission of this application also acknowledges that I realize the KSU Office of Admissions communicates with applicants electronically, using the e-mail address listed on my application. A confirmation of receipt of my application and entry decision will be issued to my e-mail. It is my responsibility to check my e-mail and I am strongly advised to use the KSU Application Status Check feature on the KSU admissions website to monitor the progress of my application.

Shouldn't you, check to, see that, your tax, dollars WERE, given, away before, expressing, your righteous, outrage?

(PS When, it comes, to, the use of, commas, imitation is the, sincerest, form of flattery):P

Actually, I think you must have missed the part where I wrote, "if any was given out"

Actually, I think you must have missed the part where I wrote, "if any was given out"

So you ARE whining before you know if you've been hurt.

No. I stated my position on the matter.

No. I stated my position on the matter.

Sure comes across like whining before you know if there's actually anything to whine about..

Sure comes across like whining before you know if there's actually anything to whine about..

Here, I'll put the whole thing here and you can avoid chopping it up and read it all at once. ***Giving my tax dollars away to non citizens, however is in no way acceptable.

That money, if there was any given out, should have been given to a US CITIZEN that has worked hard and put forth effort.

Here, I'll put the whole thing here and you can avoid chopping it up and read it all at once. ***Giving my tax dollars away to non citizens, however is in no way acceptable.

That money, if there was any given out, should have been given to a US CITIZEN that has worked hard and put forth effort.

So you admit you don't know if there's a problem, but you were whining anyway.

Hold a staff or a broomstick behind your neck

Hold a staff or a broomstick behind your neck, with your arms outstretched along the staff. At the golf course, you can do a [url=http://www.golfsale18.com/TaylorMade-R9-Super-Tri-Driver-2327.html]taylormade r9 super tri driver[/url] version of this with your golf drivers, with on hand on the grip, and the other down near the clubhead. Standing with your feet shoulder width apart, slowly turn your body as far to the left as possible, hold for [url=http://www.wgbuy.com]inexpensive golf clubs[/url] a second, then slowly twist to the right, as far as possible. Repeat 10 times to each side, and each time try to turn a little further. ishiner
golfwholesaleseller

I don't really think that the college is trying to cover its ass, as much as it is just trying to grab some news and make a statement. However, I also don't view this story as being very positive.

Obviously, she was able to somehow get through the system and enrollment process - at least until being arrested. But, I don't see how a college can step in and try and produce special treatment for ONE individual - one that all parties agree is in the United States without any legal status - without providing the same type of treatment for others who are in pretty much the same situation. Seems to me like it's being used as some sort of a PR move by the school.

Also, the article does mention that the student didn't have a valid drivers license. She most likely had to have some sort of ID to enroll. However, many illegal aliens DO have valid IDs, drivers licenses, and other forms of identification. Sometimes these were obtained long before immigration became such a hot issue and all the verifications came into play.
drew