Gawain

Polanski: Extradition Based on a Lie - wtf?!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100502/people_nm/us_polanski

This guy pleaded guilty.

This guy fled before sentencing.

He is now playing a victim versus the judge at the time....:S:S:S

Polanski, you're a molester. You know you're in the wrong, or your wouldn't be hiding in fear.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Here's a synopsis of the details of the plea bargain and sentencing issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski#Sexual_assault_case

Was there an insinuation in here, somewhere?

It's clear that anything the judge might have given him at the time wouldn't have compared to the hassle of hiding in France the rest of his life, or his current predicament.

This guy pleaded guilty.

The way the dysfunctional judicial system is set up in the US, those who plead guilty are often not, and do it to save money and time.

The real criminals are the prosecutors with their plea bargains (otherwise known as extortion). This allows them to win the case and keep their worthless jobs, but then again "they" are worthless people.

Never personally involved with any of it, I know enough people who have and tend to side with Polanski.

Apparently the judge in the case was another one of those worthless fucks.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

This guy pleaded guilty.

The way the dysfunctional judicial system is set up in the US, those who plead guilty are often not, and do it to save money and time.

The real criminals are the prosecutors with their plea bargains (otherwise known as extortion). This allows them to win the case and keep their worthless jobs, but then again "they" are worthless people.

Never personally involved with any of it, I know enough people who have and tend to side with Polanski.

I may be reading this wrong, but it really seems to me like you're making excuses for Polanski. He drugged and molested a young girl.
Make light!

This guy pleaded guilty.

No one is denying that he had sex with a 13 year old. Nor that he skipped the country. He is absolutely guilty of those two.

This guy pleaded guilty.

The judge was not, apparently, a "worthless fuck." Polanski describes a plea deal that he made. Judges are empowered to accept of decline a plea deal.

Perhaps you are unaware of the graphic details of what Polanski did to a thirteen year-old girl.

I will not post details of what that he did. But if you've got the stomach, read this:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover1.html

And he fled possible prison time. Yeah, poor Roman Polanski was soooo wronged.

Prosecutors at at the top of my legal shit list. But in this circumstance, Polanski should have done his time.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This guy pleaded guilty.

The judge was not, apparently, a "worthless fuck." Polanski describes a plea deal that he made. Judges are empowered to accept of decline a plea deal.

Perhaps you are unaware of the graphic details of what Polanski did to a thirteen year-old girl.

I will not post details of what that he did. But if you've got the stomach, read this:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover1.html

And he fled possible prison time. Yeah, poor Roman Polanski was soooo wronged.

Prosecutors at at the top of my legal shit list. But in this circumstance, Polanski should have done his time.

I actually took the time to read some of that...Polanski will get his...>:(>:(>:(
Make light!

I don't advocate what he supposedly did, but if you make a deal to avoid a trial, then it should be honored.

All deals need court approval. What happens if you make a deal to buy a house, contingent on getting a loan. You may even be pre-approved! Then the bank says, "nope. Can't do it."

Here's the thing. Read what Polanski did. And he fled the country to avoid facing the consequences of it. And his sob story, "I had a deal. I wasn't going to serve any prison time. Then the judge decided it was no good. So I did what any righteous person would do - I ran. Now they are after me for political reasons."

A search will reveal my general opinions of prosecutors. I see no justification for this sick fuck accepting awards in Cap d'Antibes and avoiding the consequences for his deliberate acts.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I don't advocate what he supposedly did, but if you make a deal to avoid a trial, then it should be honored.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong:

Aren't most plea deals made with the guilty plea an exchange for reduction of charges (either in total number or degree of severity)?

And often with a recommendation of lower sentence from the prosecutor?

Polanski got six charges reduced to one (basically statutory rape). Although the prosecutor recommended no jail or prison time, the judge was still free to impose whatever sentence he saw fit.

The deal wasn't no prison time. The deal was six charges down to one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Aren't most plea deals made with the guilty plea an exchange for reduction of charges (either in total number or degree of severity)?

Polanski got six charges reduced to one (basically statutory rape). Although the prosecutor recommended no jail or prison time, the judge was still free to impose whatever sentence he saw fit.

I guess the judge is free to impose whatever he wants, but to go against a plea deal the prosecutor made stinks. You either go with the program or get the hell out.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I guess the judge is free to impose whatever he wants, but to go against a plea deal the prosecutor made stinks. You either go with the program or get the hell out.

It is the judge that presides over the courtroom, not the prosecutor...and I'm still amazed that you're making excuses for Polanski. There's no "supposedly"...even Polanski isn't saying that...
Make light!

I'm still amazed that you're making excuses for Polanski. There's no "supposedly"...even Polanski isn't saying that...

I'm amazed that anyone can chastise someone for doing something wrong 30 years ago. But I guess there are those here that never did anything wrong and are first to judge others.

Nice to know there are still perfect human beings out there.

I'm still amazed that you're making excuses for Polanski. There's no "supposedly"...even Polanski isn't saying that...

I'm amazed that anyone can chastise someone for doing something wrong 30 years ago. But I guess there are those here that never did anything wrong and are first to judge others.

Nice to know there are still perfect human beings out there.

Okay, so you think there should be an expiration date for hideous crimes against kids then? All someone has to do is hide-out for a couple decades and all is well?

I'm not claiming perfection. I just happen to know first hand that there are consequences to actions. Polanski was able to strike a bargain, and he pussied out. Now he's claiming his extradition is based on a lie....I take that to mean, his lie, when he said he'd follow a plea agreement (what he thinks might happen from a judge doesn't count as an excuse), and then skipped town.
Make light!