Andy9o8

AZ Immigration Bill Invites Racial Profiling of US Citizens

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Man-says-he-was-racially-targeted-forced-to-provide-birth-certificate-91769419.html

US-born, ethnic-Hispanic man arrested in Arizona after not having proof of US citizenship on him. I wonder how many Western European-looking Americans will now get the same treatment in Arizona: "He looks like a Canadian; missing a tooth, must be a hockey player; let's check him out." Not likely.

How many Americans routinely carry proof of their citizenship on them? Apparently the brown ones had better do so.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

by Alicia E. Barrón

azfamily.com

Posted on April 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Updated Thursday, Apr 22 at 3:21 PM

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Jackie tells 3TV, “It's still something awful to be targeted. I can't even imagine what he felt, people watching like he was some type of criminal.”

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

An agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other documents like his birth certificate.

Jackie explains, “I have his social security card as well and mine. He's legit. It's the first time it's ever happened.”

Both were born in the United States and say they are now both infuriated that keeping important documents safely at home is no longer an option.

Jackie says, “It doesn't feel like it's a good way of life, to live with fear, even though we are okay, we are legal…still have to carry documents around.”

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling.

This has nothing to do with the new bill. Even the article says that.

Right, wrong or indifferent about the new bill, this has nothing to do with Arizona law, but federal law and the operating procedures of ICE. Now, if you want to argue about that agency, their polices and operating procedures, that would be an interesting discussion. I think people might be unpleasantly surprised as to how and what they do!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The attitude of the bill is that most illegals in Arizona are Mexican, not that most Mexicans are illegals.
The way I see it there is no racial profiling going on, just an honest, factual dealing with what is happening which is a failure of the US Government and the Mexican Government to deal with the issue in a somewhat meaningful manner.
After all, we don't have a millions of Canadians sneeking across the border.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Not that you know about, eh! The stealth invasion is still on. All your base are ours!

The attitude of the bill is that most illegals in Arizona are Mexican, not that most Mexicans are illegals.

Really? Tell that to your fellow native-born American citizen in the article who was placed under arrest for being a spic.

Really? Tell that to your fellow native-born American citizen in the article who was placed under arrest for being a spic.

It sounds harsh and i know I'll get slammed here for saying this, but here it is: With millions of illegals living here in the US and ontold numbers coming in every month, I feel it is worth a rare incident of an innocent being arrested and questioned if it can significantly reduce the number of illegals. Innocent people are arrested every day and released because they match the description of someone who broke the law, and most of the time it is not immigration laws. If you are expecting that only guilty people will ever be arrested then you are living in a fantasy world.
HAMMER:

It sounds harsh and i know I'll get slammed here for saying this, but here it is: With millions of illegals living here in the US and ontold numbers coming in every month, I feel it is worth a rare incident of an innocent being arrested and questioned if it can significantly reduce the number of illegals.

The net result of that is that all people who simply look Hispanic are subject to being stopped based solely on their racial looks, and arrested based solely on the lack of proof of citizenship. And that is simply unconstitutional.

Innocent people are arrested every day and released because they match the description of someone who broke the law, and most of the time it is not immigration laws. If you are expecting that only guilty people will ever be arrested then you are living in a fantasy world.

After working my entire adult lifetime in and around the criminal justice system, I don't think I have any fantasies about that.

I've practiced and studied a lot of civil rights and civil liberties law in my time, and I can tell you that what happened to the guy in the article was a violation of his Federal civil rights, and he does have a valid cause of action for a Federal lawsuit, which he would probably win.

The net result of that is that all people who simply look Hispanic are subject to being stopped based solely on their racial looks, and arrested based solely on the lack of proof of citizenship.

ALL of them? Really? I think if you look at the numbers it is actually a very small number.

And that is simply unconstitutional.

Ok, I'll bite.
What part of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is being violated?
HAMMER:

How many Americans routinely carry proof of their citizenship on them? Apparently the brown ones had better do so.

I wonder what "proof of citizenship" US citizens are supposed to carry at all times that will satisfy the Arizona law. A birth certificate, especially the "short form", is ludicrously easy to fake; just ask the birthers about that. Does anyone believe that illegals who can get fraudulent social security card and driver's licenses will be stymied by a birth certificate?

For those of us who are naturalized citizens, the naturalization certificate is a 9 x 11 inch paper with attached photo, seals and embossments. It isn't designed to be folded up, to fit in a wallet you would have to crease the seals and photos, and a damaged certificate is not legally acceptable proof of citizenship, for example for a passport application. The government does not issue a wallet-sized card version of the document. Perhaps Arizona politicians expect that naturalized citizens will wear around their necks one of those clear plastic-fronted holders for documents, the kind airlines stick on unaccompanied minors? How ridiculous and demeaning is that.

Maybe they expect that all US citizens will obtain and carry at all times a passport? That would be perfect proof of citizenship, but it would be a government mandate for everyone to spend their money on a passport even if they don't plan to travel abroad; if such mandates are objectionable when the Federal government does it (health care) why is is OK here? Because it isn't explicit, but only implied by the legislation? How many Americans will be happy to have to make sure to take proof of citizenship with them every single time they leave the house?

I expect the law will end up being ruled unconstitutional, as it clearly violates the fourth amendment. Failing that, it will eventually be repealed as hundreds or thousands of US citizens are fined $500 for failing to carry proof of citizenship.

For anyone planning to visit Eloy from outside Arizona, be aware that to get there from Phoenix Airport you have to go through Sheriff Arpaio's jurisdiction, and no-one is as aggressive about rounding up so-called "illegals" as he is. Want to run into Phoenix for an evening's entertainment, and you leave your "papers" back at the bunkhouse? Be prepared to spend six months in the sheriff's "hotel". The accommodations are not luxurious, except perhaps by Somalian refugee camp standards.

Don

>With millions of illegals living here in the US and ontold numbers coming
>in every month, I feel it is worth a rare incident of an innocent being
>arrested and questioned if it can significantly reduce the number of
>illegals.

That's as defensible as pulling over only black drivers if it can significantly reduce the numbers of speeders.

The way I see it there is no racial profiling going on, just an honest, factual dealing with what is happening which is a failure of the US Government and the Mexican Government to deal with the issue in a somewhat meaningful manner.

The process that local cops will use is one of, "looks brown, that is RS to stop and check papers." Aside from intent, that will never be fully known anyway, the way this plays out will be that of, "looks brown, that's RS."

Nazizona has gone back to the 1700-1800's in 2 bills. First, we passed the concealed carry w/o a permit, so it will be a little more like the old days of the west. Now we've passed this mess with legal racial profiling; no one rolls the clock back like Nazizona.

Speaking of Nazizona, even tho this was an old American Indian monker, it is ironic how thinsg go full circle: http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2006/10/26/swastikas-on-old-arizona-road-maps/

Then there's this proposition; I like it. http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8205221

The process that local cops will use is one of, "looks brown, that is RS to stop and check papers." Aside from intent, that will never be fully known anyway, the way this plays out will be that of, "looks brown, that's RS."

Nazizona has gone back to the 1700-1800's in 2 bills. First, we passed the concealed carry w/o a permit, so it will be a little more like the old days of the west. Now we've passed this mess with legal racial profiling; no one rolls the clock back like Nazizona.

Speaking of Nazizona, even tho this was an old American Indian monker, it is ironic how thinsg go full circle: http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2006/10/26/swastikas-on-old-arizona-road-maps/

Then there's this proposition; I like it. http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8205221

Maybe if the legal ones start working towards helping fix the problem and start speaking out against illegals the problem would fix it self faster.

This is an interesting point of view from a columnist who typically leans more left than right.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/LaurieRoberts/79298

Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Fifty three percent of likely Arizona voters are concerned that the state's tough new law targeting illegal immigrants will also be used to violate the civil rights of United States citizens.

The majority of them support it anyway.

Such is the state of the state of Arizona, where frustration is the official state emotion and our official nickname?

With one stroke of a pen it was changed Friday from Grand Canyon State to Police State.

What a shame that is has come to this.

All week long, in the lead up to Friday's signing of Senate Bill 1070, hysteria has mounted as a drop-jawed nation has watched and wondered what the heck is going on in Arizona.

From one side, we heard that we're a bunch of racists, headed the way of Nazis. From the other, we heard that anyone who objects to a law giving the police broad new powers to stop and question suspected illegal immigrants is an “anarchist” and perhaps worse (in Arizona, at least), a member of the open borders crowd.

Even the governor did her part to churn already roiling waters, declaring Thursday that “Arizona is being overrun by illegal immigrants terrorizing the citizens of the state of Arizona.”

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

If we are now a police state, it's because nobody's been listening. Even as the nation was bloodying our nose and blackening both of our eyes on Friday, Cochise County sheriff's deputies were announcing the arrest of 67 illegal immigrants in southeastern Arizona. They were found Thursday night, crammed inside a U-Haul that deputies spotted driving erratically, 20 miles north of the border.

The driver and front passenger, believed to be smugglers, fled into the desert, going who knows where to do God knows what.

Button up the border, Mr. President. You can't do right by the people who snuck across it until you do right by the rest of us.

(Column published April 24, 2010, The Arizona Republic)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe if the legal ones start working towards helping fix the problem and start speaking out against illegals the problem would fix it self faster.

Absolutely! How about supporting significant penalties for employers who fail to make reasonable efforts to check employee's social security numbers? Maybe a significant number of contractors or chicken plant CEOs serving long jail sentences after being bankrupted by fines would send a message. If there were no jobs for illegals, there wouldn't be nearly as many people trying to come here. No need to throw US citizens and legal immigrants in jail for forgetting to carry their "papers" when running out to pick up a 6-pack. It would also help if we stopped undercutting Mexican farmers by subsidizing American farmers to sell overseas at less than the cost of production.

Don

Hi Andy,
Fynny thing, "Commercial truck, fed weigh station, birthcert." Hmmm. 'Used ta' drive Truck for Schneider Specialized (long haul Glass) and we were required to have our birth certificates with us!! (mainly, for crossing international borders, like Canada only'Live in Live Oak Florida!'
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The net result of that is that all people who simply look Hispanic are subject to being stopped based solely on their racial looks, and arrested based solely on the lack of proof of citizenship.

ALL of them? Really? I think if you look at the numbers it is actually a very small number.

(A) That's your guess.

(B) From a peson like you waving around the Constitution, I see it is selective and that now, at your discretion, a few exceptions are ok.

And that is simply unconstitutional.

Ok, I'll bite.
What part of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is being violated?

The living part, you know the one that just passed a decision like DC v Heller? Ya, there we go again, let's be selective; it I agree with the living Constitution, it's good, if not, it's not about the strict writing of the US Const so it's irrelevant. Actually if you go from the intent of the original Const, there was slavery 85 years after the signing of it, so maybe racial atrocities are a part of the US Const; good point.

But I guess you're right, a few cases here or there wouldn't be a big deal: http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/220/njshootings.shtml

So to answer your question:

- Batson (juror racial profiling): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batson_v._Kentucky

- Chavez v. Illinois State Police

Notwithstanding the disposition of this
case, we recognize the destructive
effects of racial and ethnic profiling by
any police agency.

Not to mention the 14th that requires equal protection, racial profiling, on its face, targets certain people.

It's not the duty of any citizen, white, brown, black or green to fix the system. It is, however, the right of the gov to put in place and guarantee protections against government intrusion and this law in Nazizona paves the way for legal Mexican-Americans to have their civil and const rights intruded upon. Thsi basically removes the need for Reasonable Suspicion to ask a person for their papers. Cops will use this against white people too, if they want to stop and introgate a person on foot and that peson is white, they can say they thought they they heard that person talking about being here illegally from Canada or Europe. All this does is to give cops waaaay more power than they need, basically killing the rest of the 4th.

It's not the duty of any citizen, white, brown, black or green to fix the system. It is, however, the right of the gov to put in place and guarantee protections against government intrusion and this law in Nazizona paves the way for legal Mexican-Americans to have their civil and const rights intruded upon. Thsi basically removes the need for Reasonable Suspicion to ask a person for their papers. Cops will use this against white people too, if they want to stop and introgate a person on foot and that peson is white, they can say they thought they they heard that person talking about being here illegally from Canada or Europe. All this does is to give cops waaaay more power than they need, basically killing the rest of the 4th.

If the federal government had done something other than let the system tie the hands of the propper officials this law wouldn't be needed. I feel for the victims of the illegal assult on arizona and they deserve this law. Now, maybe the state can start to actually protect their citizens from violent illegal aliens.

Absolutely! How about supporting significant penalties for employers who fail to make reasonable efforts to check employee's social security numbers? Maybe a significant number of contractors or chicken plant CEOs serving long jail sentences after being bankrupted by fines would send a message. If there were no jobs for illegals, there wouldn't be nearly as many people trying to come here. No need to throw US citizens and legal immigrants in jail for forgetting to carry their "papers" when running out to pick up a 6-pack. It would also help if we stopped undercutting Mexican farmers by subsidizing American farmers to sell overseas at less than the cost of production.

Don

What alot of people don't seem to understand is that the jobs are just a small prt of what brings them to the US. to many come here to have free health care and other benifits. Once they have a kid they can stay here, collect food stamps, welfare, and free medical care. they do not even need a job to be better off than in mexico. While collecting these free benifits they can work for cash and be even better off. cut them off of any fed or state money and alot would never come here.

This is an interesting point of view from a columnist who typically leans more left than right.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/LaurieRoberts/79298

Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Fifty three percent of likely Arizona voters are concerned that the state's tough new law targeting illegal immigrants will also be used to violate the civil rights of United States citizens.

The majority of them support it anyway.

Such is the state of the state of Arizona, where frustration is the official state emotion and our official nickname?

With one stroke of a pen it was changed Friday from Grand Canyon State to Police State.

What a shame that is has come to this.

All week long, in the lead up to Friday's signing of Senate Bill 1070, hysteria has mounted as a drop-jawed nation has watched and wondered what the heck is going on in Arizona.

From one side, we heard that we're a bunch of racists, headed the way of Nazis. From the other, we heard that anyone who objects to a law giving the police broad new powers to stop and question suspected illegal immigrants is an “anarchist” and perhaps worse (in Arizona, at least), a member of the open borders crowd.

Even the governor did her part to churn already roiling waters, declaring Thursday that “Arizona is being overrun by illegal immigrants terrorizing the citizens of the state of Arizona.”

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

If we are now a police state, it's because nobody's been listening. Even as the nation was bloodying our nose and blackening both of our eyes on Friday, Cochise County sheriff's deputies were announcing the arrest of 67 illegal immigrants in southeastern Arizona. They were found Thursday night, crammed inside a U-Haul that deputies spotted driving erratically, 20 miles north of the border.

The driver and front passenger, believed to be smugglers, fled into the desert, going who knows where to do God knows what.

Button up the border, Mr. President. You can't do right by the people who snuck across it until you do right by the rest of us.

(Column published April 24, 2010, The Arizona Republic)

+1
+1

Don

What alot of people don't seem to understand is that the jobs are just a small prt of what brings them to the US. to many come here to have free health care and other benifits. Once they have a kid they can stay here, collect food stamps, welfare, and free medical care. they do not even need a job to be better off than in mexico. While collecting these free benifits they can work for cash and be even better off. cut them off of any fed or state money and alot would never come here.

From talking with Border Patrol Agents I know here in Texas, we are also getting large numbers of gang members looking to get in on the very lucrative drug trade, here. Also, large numbers 'looking to join' gangs. I checked it out and there is not one single state in the U.S. that does not have an hispanic gang. Small towns along our border are seeing more and more cartel presence. We've got school buses being followed by cartel members in Fort Hancock, Texas. They are making their presence known. Our government isn't doing much to help the situation much, either. 2-3 weeks ago, a rancher was killed in Arizona either by drug runners or illegals. That really prompted Arizona to pass their law. With all this going on, Washington's attitude is; 'we don't have a problem on our border!' They need to come down here and see for themselves. We do, have a problem!

Chuck

If the federal government had done something other than let the system tie the hands of the propper officials this law wouldn't be needed. I feel for the victims of the illegal assult on arizona and they deserve this law. Now, maybe the state can start to actually protect their citizens from violent illegal aliens.

And then you applaude your hero, Fascist Ronnie who gave them all immunity, now let's round up all brown people and let the courts sort them out.

Do you feel for the wrongly arrested, the wrongly harrassed? Or is that justr collateral damage like the OK City Bomber referenced?

I would ask, but I see you don't give a rat's ass about Mexican-Americans, as well as others who get harrassed by the piggies.

As much as I abhore the border problem this is not the answer.

Finally, a little common sense from the right. I say employer sanctions are part of the answer. The problem is, here in the US, we're fascist/corporatist and we don't hold employers accountable nearly enough. If no jobs, many willleave.