nigel99

UK Election

The Conservatives have said that they will look at seat sizes to level the playing field a little - i.e. if one seat has 40,000 voters and another 110,000 voters then the votes of those in the larger seat are not 'worth' as much as the smaller ones. This is a step in the right direction.

I agree that the Lib Dems could force whoever they decide to enter a coalition with, most likely Labour, into an agreement to change. This would inevitably result in a Labour Prime Minister that wasn't Gordon Brown. So we would end up with another unelected PM and a Government that does nothing for 5 years and is powerless against the possibility of a move to voting reform. That isn't acceptable to me,...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

My problem is that I don't want another Labour or Tory Government and the Lib Dems are an unknown factor (although my personal politics are closer aligned to the Lib Dems - in the main).

I personally want to be able to vote on individual issues not a (stale) basket of them, which is how our system currently works.

What ever happens, the next term will be interesting.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament

I am not sure the two go hand-in-hand. I also think that a hung parliament is the worst situation we could end up in because no one would get anything done at all. .

Maybe nothing is what SHOULD be done. The govt. has had hundreds of years to make laws, perhaps we have enough already.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament

I am not sure the two go hand-in-hand. I also think that a hung parliament is the worst situation we could end up in because no one would get anything done at all. .

Maybe nothing is what SHOULD be done. The govt. has had hundreds of years to make laws, perhaps we have enough already.

Exactly right - I simply can't imagine why a country with almost a 1000 years of making laws NEEDS 600 odd MP's. They don't tend to interact with the average person and I'm the only person amongst my friends/colleagues who has had "value" from my MP.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Its interesting looking at the posts and the poll. In the UK voters seem to be prepared to change their mind about who to vote for much more than in the US where it almost seems like supporting a football team, you're born into a family which is either Republican or Democrat and mant seem to vote the way they do because thats what Grandad did/does.

Yes it is interesting and I to be honest I think that with Gordons contribution there is now a real danger that the Lib Dems get a serious look at majority vote! For the reasons that were outlined in the squirrel story I don't think we'd want them running the country.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I think that, for me, the Tories are the only choice as I don't think the Lib Dems are ready to leave - they've never expected it so they wouldn't know how to do it - my dog used to chase squirrels - when he one day caught on he had no idea what to do with it and so he let it go.

Squirrel!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?