Tiger6513

Pot...

Oh, I thougt this was a discussion of the former murderous regime in Cambodia. Sorry.[:/]

Nope, just seeing what people think about how much money and effort we tend to waste on the green stuff. I agree its "bad" for you, but I would rather be around a stoned driver than a drunk 1
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

i don't smoke, but I think it should be legalized. It could be like ETOH, have a minimum age and same DUI (DWI) punishment. Even raise some tax dollars on its own.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

Do they have an accurate scale for determining someones "highness"? If so a DWI could be imposed but as far as I know there is no stoned meter. DWI? eh ok, DUI definetly. Drunks kill, and I am sure in some instances so has pot but I have worked many many traumas and alcohol is way worse IMO
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Do they have an accurate scale for determining someones "highness"?

Blood levels can be measured and impaired driving recorded on police video the same way as with alcohol.

Every state I've looked at already has driving while intoxicated laws that apply to all drugs - prescribed or otherwise. The same laws will continue to apply once marijuana is legal.

They can measure blood levels the same way they do with alcohol and apply the same driving while intoxicated laws they do now.

If so a DWI could be imposed but as far as I know there is no stoned meter.

The breathalyser saves a lot of people a trip to the county jail to get their blood tested for intoxicants but isn't necessary.

Probably cause can be established with pupil characteristics and tracking. Police officers with narcotics training get descriptive cards to help them out.

That can be confirmed with a blood test.

While you're allowed to refuse to have your blood drawn (or even to blow into the tube), most states have informed consent laws that turning over your license on the spot goes with that choice.

DWI?

One of my friends got picked up for driving while on prescription pain medications, and another got busted for public intoxication after he left the hospital with whatever they put in his system.

The laws don't differentiate much based on what sort of drug you're on.

The problem is that pot shows up in the blood for up to 6 weeks depending on how much of a smoker you are. So you could get high over the weekend, get pulled over on tuesday and your blood levels would still be high. I used to be a daily smoker. I had some issues and had to get drug tested every day till my levels were 0. Took 5 weeks for it to completely be out of my system. As of right now, there is no test to show if you are impared at the tiem. they still can use a sobriety test but thats about it.

The problem is that pot shows up in the blood for up to 6 weeks depending on how much of a smoker you are. So you could get high over the weekend, get pulled over on tuesday and your blood levels would still be high.

Most drug testing looks for use, not current intoxication.

The commonly used tests for Marijuana are specifically looking for metabolites that don't have physiological effects.

I think to prove that a person was driving impaired, they would need more than just a blood test. I would think there would need to be proof that the person was actually impaired (driving in a dangerous manner, unable to pass a field sobriety test, lit joint in the ashtray :P, etc.). And I think you'd have to be pretty dang stoned to fail a field sobriety test from marijuana alone.

From the U.S. Department of Transportation:

Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance
1993, DOT HS 808 078
Volunteer subjects participated in several sessions in which they were dosed on alcohol, marijuana, or a placebo, then drove motor vehicles in various controlled on-road traffic situations (e.g., closed interstate highway). Dual-controlled vehicles were used, and a researcher was always along to take control if warranted. Marijuana was found to have a performance impairment effect equivalent to an alcohol blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level between .04 and .08 only in lane maintenance performance measures.

I am, of course, not saying that it's OK to drive stoned. But I don't think it's anywhere near as dangerous as driving drunk.

Most drug testing looks for use, not current intoxication.

Yes, usually; but that's a matter of context, such as employment or competition athletics. But in a DUI context, the legally-relevant context - whether re: pot, or prescription pain meds, or whatever, is "current (at time of driving) intoxication".

Just gettin a feel for the groups feelings. I personally don't care, used to smoke don't anymore. I just feel like we are wasting money fighting pot. Feel free to beat me up on that point...

It has ALWAYS been a dumb idea to have criminalized it. It should be legal.. and taxed.

The basis of its criminalization was based on racism and classism... and wasting money on putting people in jail for it is absofuckinglutely nutz.

Oh.. I do not smoke... have not smoked any in 35+ years... it makes me nauseous... just not my thing.

The cops have better things to do... like their superb policing skills in writing traffic tickets, tickets that have all the police skill of a meter maid:ph34r::ph34r:

If we stopped using tax dollars on reefer law enforcement and prosecution, that alone would save us .... :| ... well, it's a lot.

Think of how many dusky-hued welfare queens and their little replicants that would buy chips and twinkies for.

Why don't we take all the money WASTED on fighting reefer and use it to build hanging gallows and hire firing squads for pediphiles. I'm so fucking tired of reading and hearing about these repeat offenders (and first timers) that I could just fucking puke. One time, your dead. Simple.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Why don't we take all the money WASTED on fighting reefer and use it to build hanging gallows and hire firing squads for pediphiles. I'm so fucking tired of reading and hearing about these repeat offenders (and first timers) that I could just fucking puke. One time, your dead. Simple.

That sure would upset the Catholic church..... they have been doing everything they can to create new ones....as fast as they can>:(