lewmonst

California Race for Governor 2010

Since Arnold won't be back, it's getting hot already and it's only March!

Republican primary battle: Anyone notice all the money Meg Whitman is throwing at attacking Steve Poizner? Both made bank from techie companies. As they say, money doesn't buy votes but it sure seems to help.
I might register Republican just so I can vote NO for Whitman in the primary.

Dems: Looking like Jerry Brown, Attorney General and former Governor, will have to battle the winner of Poizner/Whitman and however many millions of dollars he/she has left to campaign.

Primary is June 8. Final Governor election Nov 2.

Will have popcorn.
http://www.exitshot.com

Since Arnold won't be back, it's getting hot already and it's only March!

Republican primary battle: Anyone notice all the money Meg Whitman is throwing at attacking Steve Poizner? Both made bank from techie companies. As they say, money doesn't buy votes but it sure seems to help.
I might register Republican just so I can vote NO for Whitman in the primary.

Dems: Looking like Jerry Brown, Attorney General and former Governor, will have to battle the winner of Poizner/Whitman and however many millions of dollars he/she has left to campaign.

Primary is June 8. Final Governor election Nov 2.

Will have popcorn.

I'm not a fan of any of them. Out of the three, I think Meg Whitman is most electable. She's not a conservative, but she knows business. I've met her a couple times and my partner and I have met with her staffers on several occasions. Mayor Brown has been there and done that already. I wasn't living here when he was governor, so I'll withhold comment about that. Having read some of the content on his campaign web-site, I'd say he's positioning himself to be too "reactive". Whitman's three pronged emphasis is simplistic, but lays a solid foundation, and I think it's makes a good "starting" point.

The sludge up here in Sacramento is just too deep. CARB can't account for 56% of its budget, yet there will be no audit. Agencies have buried themselves in non-performance-BS. The DMV is a joke. Even Cal-Fire is having a hard time getting ready for the upcoming fire season (which is going to be a whopper with all the growth we're having during this rainy winter), and lining up their Emergency Equipment Rental Agreements, etc.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I miss the old Jerry; the moonbeam governor of days gone by. Reminds me of an ornate bong, somehow.

Have something to put in her;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I'm liking Brown so far.

I will no vote for a person who deliberately does something other than his job. As despicable as I found Proposition 8 to be, our "attorney general" decided to actively sell out his client and campaign AGAINST the state for political reasons.

A man of honor (and with legal ethics) would have resigned before a stunt like that.

I cannot vote for a person who won't do his job because he doesn't feel like it. A disturbing thing lately has been people not doing their jobs because of personal feelings. The Illinois Secretary of State found himself to be so important he refused to confirm Blagoyovich's Senatorial successor appointment. You've got pharmacists refusing to provide birth control pills. A justice of the peace refusing to marry a biracial couple.

And an attorney general telling the supreme court that his client should lose because, well, you know, it's just supposed to be. I personally applaud Brown's position. He's a royal dick for actually taking it. Ever see an attorney argue against his client? It's what he did.

What's he going to do as governor? He's already decided the peasants just don't get it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm liking Brown so far.

I will no vote for a person who deliberately does something other than his job. As despicable as I found Proposition 8 to be, our "attorney general" decided to actively sell out his client and campaign AGAINST the state for political reasons.

A man of honor (and with legal ethics) would have resigned before a stunt like that.

I cannot vote for a person who won't do his job because he doesn't feel like it. A disturbing thing lately has been people not doing their jobs because of personal feelings. The Illinois Secretary of State found himself to be so important he refused to confirm Blagoyovich's Senatorial successor appointment. You've got pharmacists refusing to provide birth control pills. A justice of the peace refusing to marry a biracial couple.

And an attorney general telling the supreme court that his client should lose because, well, you know, it's just supposed to be. I personally applaud Brown's position. He's a royal dick for actually taking it. Ever see an attorney argue against his client? It's what he did.

What's he going to do as governor? He's already decided the peasants just don't get it.

I agree with your point, I really do.

My conflict lies in two areas. 1) There is a point where morality supersedes law. 2) The other options in the race suck.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree with your point, I really do.

My conflict lies in two areas. 1) There is a point where morality supersedes law. 2) The other options in the race suck.

Mostly this. I'm definitely a proponent of conscionable elected officials. Unfortunately, they are far too rare. In this case, I might be convinced that, if Brown perceived a conflict between "the state" and "the state government", his duty lay with the state. However, it would take a good argument. In any case, I'm not a Californian, and not nearly as informed on the matter as some who live there (especially those with law credentials).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Again, agreed with your point. It's a tough time to decide where the line lies.

At what point does an official buck the law? "I was just following orders" has been used in history, and left horror in it's wake.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Again, agreed with your point. It's a tough time to decide where the line lies.

At what point does an official buck the law? "I was just following orders" has been used in history, and left horror in it's wake.

I think that Brown did act in the interest of Californians, and it is a suitable defense.

But in terms of voting for the guy, you have consider the number of times he has completely morphed. The 70s guy dating rock stars turned into the Democratic machine politician, then the whacky guy with the 800 number at the debates in 1992, then the guy that went back to local government (mayor of Oakland, then AG). With most candidates, you can look at their past and make conclusions. With him, not so easy.

What he will bring is a vast experience in politics. I think he's more likely to broker a settlement between the parties than Arnold was, or the two GOP candidates will be.

Those two are the classic CEO candidate profiles. Experienced in business, therefore they can run a super business like California. However, as CEOs they wielded much more power than the governor does. Whitman's failure to even vote is going to hurt her. I expect her to prevail in the primary, and then campaign against Obama more so than Brown.

[replyMy conflict lies in two areas. 1) There is a point where morality supersedes law. 2) The other options in the race suck.

Agreed with No. 2.

However, with regard to point No. 1, that "morality supersedes the law" is the argument used by those folks who morality as a justification for murdering abortionists.

There are individual views of morality - competing views. The laws are there to give everybody an idea of what is expected. Individual morality is also most strongly defined by those in power, hence Nixon proclaiming that if the president does it then it is legal.

My problem with Brown is that natural law has no relevance because so many dispute just what nature is about. The arguments that he forwarded were a long walk off of a short legal pier.

Brown did the following:
(1) Knowingly and willfully abrogated his responsibility as an elected officer to defend the state (picture a criminal defense attorney whose viewpoint is that while there is no law against what his client did, he thinks that there SHOULD be a law, and asks the jury to convict him, anyway - it's a similar scenario to what Jerry Brown did)
(2) Used a legal proceeding to jump start a gubernatorial campaign (note: I mentioned this over a year ago here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3489765#3489765) - he did it as a political manuver for the future and NOT to do his job.
(3) If you read the brief, part of it was that people cannot be trusted, and things should be left to politicans and the judiciary (one section pretty much said to the Justices, "You guys overturned this already. Are you really gonna let these peasants tell you you're wrong? Show some balls.")

So, what happens when he is governor (chief executive) and the laws are to be enforced, but he decides, "Naahhh. I don't think that should be the law, so I'll just ignore it?" He's got a recent precedent. If he wants to change the law, then get in to Legislature.

>However, with regard to point No. 1, that "morality supersedes the law" is
>the argument used by those folks who morality as a justification for
>murdering abortionists.

And for staying in the front of the bus even when ordered to sit in the back, like the law says.

To me the method matters. Someone who violates the law via a political action, a physical protest (sit in etc) to "put their morality above the law" aren't even in the same league as someone who uses murder for the same purposes.

>picture a criminal defense attorney whose viewpoint is that while there is no
>law against what his client did, he thinks that there SHOULD be a law, and
>asks the jury to convict him, anyway - it's a similar scenario to what Jerry
>Brown did.

1) Still a lot better than murder

2) If the client had sexually assaulted someone, and was going to get off because there was no law that applied 100% to his situation, I think he SHOULD do that (at which point the client is also free to get another lawyer.)

>However, with regard to point No. 1, that "morality supersedes the law" is
>the argument used by those folks who morality as a justification for
>murdering abortionists.

And for staying in the front of the bus even when ordered to sit in the back, like the law says.

Bill - do you find there to be a difference between private citizens performing civil disobedience and governmental actors being disobedient?

It is comparable to a justice of the peace declining to marry a mixed race couple. It's his job to marry them. He refused. He should therefore lose his job, if the job is immoral to him.

Hmm. Maybe the 4th Amendment just isn't the moral thing. You just don't know who is going to be a threat to the safety.

As I've said, I agree with the political goal of seeing gay marriage legal. HOWEVER, it is why I value process. It prevents the arbitrary actions of our "leaders" and the government. Just because there would happen to be somebody with whom I agree in power at the time, the future will hold somebody who will disagree, and to the same thing to achieve a different means.

To me the method matters. Someone who violates the law via a political action, a physical protest (sit in etc) to "put their morality above the law" aren't even in the same league as someone who uses murder for the same purposes.

I agree that method matters, but for different reason. To me, method means "process." In order to effectuate a change, you must use the same process as has been used. Thus, there is a difference between execution and murder. Before an execution the defendant is presented with the charges, the opportunity to be heard and to defend himself, the right to trial by jury, appeals, etc. The murderer usually does not give anybody even a fighting chance.

Now, I can see a person saying, "It's not God's way to keep these guys alive. Forgo the appeals and let's just get on with it. Even our formal attorney general said that there is a natural law that exceeds even our Constitution. The majority disagree with me, but we cannot allow the majority to automatically win out over the minority. Therefore, off with their heads."

What Brown argued was the elimination of process. Simply, "Judges. You decide. You know I'm right."

>picture a criminal defense attorney whose viewpoint is that while there is no
>law against what his client did, he thinks that there SHOULD be a law, and
>asks the jury to convict him, anyway - it's a similar scenario to what Jerry
>Brown did.

1) Still a lot better than murder

2) If the client had sexually assaulted someone, and was going to get off because there was no law that applied 100% to his situation, I think he SHOULD do that (at which point the client is also free to get another lawyer.)

This worries me much. Perhaps our next governor and legislature will believe a defendant is not entitled to the protections of the law, nor be entitled to a defense.

PErhaps that is some people's version of moral high ground. I disagree.